Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The gospel truth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The gospel truth

The following is a quote from my recent book, THE GOSPEL TRUTH, by Daley Reece, available on amazon. It gives the story of a Jehovah's Witness, and how he was led to Jesus through the prayers of his mother and the preaching of a Christian brother. I used to be a Jehovah's Witness for most of my life so I know what I'm talking about when I wrote this book. Here is a section that describes what their meetings are like before they go into the field. What do you this?

"Kamal was surprised to see so many vehicles in the parking lot. It was as if the entire congregation had turned out for service that day. The Kingdom Hall was packed; there were visitors from other congregations. Cool breeze came through the glass louvers of the windows and from the fans spinning overhead, hanging from the ceiling. One of the elders, Jefferson, was leading the group. He opened with prayer and reminded them of the history of what they were doing today. It was Jesus who “designated seventy others and sent them forth by twos in advance of him into every city and place to which he himself was going to come.” (Luke 10:1) He reminded them that no other religion was consistent as they were in going forth by twos as Jesus commanded to preach the good news. As Paul said, “I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.” (Acts 20:20)
    “We ought to feel privileged to be engaged in this house to house work.” He said. “When people tell us that we come at inconvenient times, we should use this opportunity to ask them if they even knew that Jesus commanded us to go from house to house. Most people don’t. They look upon braving the sun and rain as a hard chore imposed by a cult, but they have no idea this was commanded by Jesus himself. Now as we go out we want focus on starting Bible studies, which means we have to make arrangements for return visits to follow up on all who show interest. So make sure you have a little notebook and a pen to get down those names, addresses, numbers, and dates for return visits. You might also want to write down what you discussed so you can better prepare for the next visit. We meet so many people sometimes it isn’t easy to remember.” While he was talking, Kamal kept looking through the crowd but he couldn’t find Patricia anywhere. Suddenly he felt a tap on his shoulder behind him. He looked back and there she was, all full of smiles. She was beautiful beyond description; you had to see to believe that a woman could be this pretty. Kamal let out a sigh of relief. Jefferson continued encouraging the brothers, giving examples of how they could effectively witness to anyone they meet. “Now I’ll like a volunteer for a brief demonstration.” Patricia volunteered to be the householder and Brother Shawn acted as Jefferson’s partner.
    “Good morning,”
    “Good morning, sir.” She replied.
    “My name is Jefferson, and this is my friend Shawn, we’re Jehovah’s Witness, and we’re calling to offer you a free home Bible study. I know you must be very busy this Saturday morning, so I’ll be very brief, I just want a few minutes to show you how people in 235 lands around the world discuss the Bible.”
    “Well I only have a few minutes,” she continued acting.
    “Thank you.” Jefferson drew out a yellow brochure called ‘What Does God Require of Us?’ and showed her the table of contents. He mentioned some of the topics, ‘Who is God?,’ ‘Who is Jesus Christ?,’ ‘What is God’s Purpose for the Earth?’ ‘What is the Kingdom of God?’ and let her look at all of them. “We can base our discussion on any of these? Which topic especially interests you?” Patricia picked the very first lesson, ‘How You Can Find out What God Requires,’ and he invited her to read the first paragraph.

1. The Bible is a precious gift from God. It is like a letter from a loving father to his children. It tells us the truth about God—who he is and what he stands for. It explains how to cope with problems and how to find true happiness. The Bible alone tells us what we must do to please God.

“Very good,” he said, “so, the question on paragraph one is, what important information is contained in the Bible?”
    “Well, it tells us about God, and how to cope with problems.”
    “That’s right,” he said. “Notice there are two Bible verses from which this information was taken. Let’s read the one at Isaiah 48:17-18.” They discussed that verse and made arrangements to come back. After the demo, Jefferson sent Patricia and Shawn back to their seats and thanked them for participating. “Now what did you guys notice from this that we can use in the field today?”
    “Your introduction was taken from the Reasoning book,” came a voice from the crowd.
    “That’s true,” Jefferson replied, “the book, Reasoning From the Scriptures gives us lots of ideas for conversation starters that lead right into Bible studies. It’s a great tool we must remember to use. Anything else?”
    “You let her pick the topic?” said Sister Roach.
    “Great observation; it’s better to let people start with something that’s on their mind, with what they are interested in. That way we get the study off the ground with a sense of interest. What else?” Kamal raised his hand.
    “Yes, Kamal?”
    “You encouraged her to read. So it wasn’t just you preaching to her, but she was actively involved in the discussion.”
    “Wonderful points! Now, what did I do wrong?” They were all silent. No one could figure out where he went wrong. Nobody raised their hands. “Anyone? Nobody noticed this? To whom am I returning?”
    “To Patricia.” Said some in the audience.
    “Oh, really? The householder’s name is Patricia? How did you know that?” Then it dawned on them all that he introduced himself and his brother Shawn but didn’t ask the householder for her name. “It’s the little things like this that can turn people off. If we come over as being unmannerly, people won’t care what we have to say. So we need to be courteous and not over anxious to get our message across. We need to show them that we are considerate of their feelings just as much as the message we want to preach; this is why I began by saying ‘I know you must be very busy this Saturday morning, so I’ll be very brief.’ Truth is, for some people, this is their only day off when they can get any work done outside their normal jobs. Many people do their shopping on Saturdays because they don’t get time during the week because of their work and the stores are all closed on Sundays. For others, this is the only time they get to do stuff as a family. So we need to be respectful when it comes to asking people for their precious time.” Indeed, Jefferson was one of the best when it came to the ministry, Jamal thought. He divided the group into sections who would work in separate areas of the territory they were assigned for that day, and each group was given a group leader who would divide them up into pairs once they arrived at the location. It had been a long time since Kamal worked with Patricia and he was happy they would get the chance today." (THE GOSPEL TRUTH http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-Truth-D...th+daley+reece)

Notice how his mother was able to defend her own faith.

" Kamal just couldn’t resist quoting Acts 2:5-11. “Mum, I thought we talked about this. The Bible says: ‘As it was, there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, reverent men, from every nation of those under heaven. So, when this sound occurred, the multitude came together and were bewildered, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. Indeed, they were astonished and began to wonder and say: “See here, all these who are speaking are Galileans, are they not? And yet how is it we are hearing, each one of us, his own language in which we were born? Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and the inhabitants of Mesopotamia, and Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and the [district of] Asia, and Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya, which is toward Cyrene, and sojourners from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians, we hear them speaking in our tongues about the magnificent things of God.” So speaking in tongues was merely a matter of speaking different languages, not mumbling garbage as I heard you do this morning. I doubt you even understand what you were saying; I surely didn’t! And Paul says in 1 Corinthians 14:9, ‘In the same way also, unless you through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken? You will, in fact, be speaking into the air.’”
    “Son,” she smiled joyfully. “I’m so proud of you. You are fast as a bullet at remembering those verses. You didn’t even have to open the Bible! You know it like the back of your hand, and I know deep down that Jesus isn’t going to let these skills go to waste. Now I’m not as quick with the Word as you are, so I’ll have look till I find what I’m looking for, but I think its in that same chapter you mentioned.” She went back to her bedroom and brought out her King James. Kamal was surprised, he couldn’t imagine what she could possibly say to that. She turned to 1 Corinthians 14, and said, “Now I agree with you that in Acts chapter 2 the Holy Spirit empowered the disciples to speak different languages. Nobody disputes that. But did you know that there is more than one form of speaking in tongues?”
    “What?” he leaned forward over his cereal. He thought he had heard it all, but this was new. “What do you mean?”
    “I mean that speaking in tongues was done in different ways. Look at verse 2, ‘For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.’ So while in Acts 2 the kind of tongues they used was in preaching to men, the form spoken of here is not for others to understand, for it’s an unknown tongue. I was speaking not unto men, but unto God, and that’s why you couldn’t comprehend what I was saying. It wasn’t for you son. As the scripture says, ‘for no man understandeth him.’ He, or in my case she, that speaks in an unknown tongue isn’t trying to preach to anyone, for he speaks ‘not unto men, but unto God.’” Kamal looked it up in his New World Translation to get it in standard English. “For he that speaks in a tongue speaks, not to men, but to God, for no one listens, but he speaks sacred secrets by the spirit.” He had absolutely no idea what that meant.
    “So what were you saying, mum?”
    “Exactly what that verse says I was saying: I was speaking mysteries by the spirit, or, as your Witness Bible puts it, ‘sacred secrets.’ Now take a look at verse 4. ‘He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.’ So the tongues in Acts 2 were for the church to understand, but what I did this morning was to edify myself. Unless of course there is a translator present, but that’s another story.”
    “When I get home we’re going to finish this, mom.”
    “We sure will son,” she smiled. “enjoy your day.” " (THE GOSPEL TRUTH Kamal just couldn’t resist quoting Acts 2:5-11. “Mum, I thought we talked about this. The Bible says: ‘As it was, there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, reverent men, from every nation of those under heaven. So, when this sound occurred, the multitude came together and were bewildered, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. Indeed, they were astonished and began to wonder and say: “See here, all these who are speaking are Galileans, are they not? And yet how is it we are hearing, each one of us, his own language in which we were born? Parthians and Medes and Elamites, and the inhabitants of Mesopotamia, and Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and the [district of] Asia, and Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya, which is toward Cyrene, and sojourners from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians, we hear them speaking in our tongues about the magnificent things of God.” So speaking in tongues was merely a matter of speaking different languages, not mumbling garbage as I heard you do this morning. I doubt you even understand what you were saying; I surely didn’t! And Paul says in 1 Corinthians 14:9, ‘In the same way also, unless you through the tongue utter speech easily understood, how will it be known what is being spoken? You will, in fact, be speaking into the air.’”
    “Son,” she smiled joyfully. “I’m so proud of you. You are fast as a bullet at remembering those verses. You didn’t even have to open the Bible! You know it like the back of your hand, and I know deep down that Jesus isn’t going to let these skills go to waste. Now I’m not as quick with the Word as you are, so I’ll have look till I find what I’m looking for, but I think its in that same chapter you mentioned.” She went back to her bedroom and brought out her King James. Kamal was surprised, he couldn’t imagine what she could possibly say to that. She turned to 1 Corinthians 14, and said, “Now I agree with you that in Acts chapter 2 the Holy Spirit empowered the disciples to speak different languages. Nobody disputes that. But did you know that there is more than one form of speaking in tongues?”
    “What?” he leaned forward over his cereal. He thought he had heard it all, but this was new. “What do you mean?”
    “I mean that speaking in tongues was done in different ways. Look at verse 2, ‘For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.’ So while in Acts 2 the kind of tongues they used was in preaching to men, the form spoken of here is not for others to understand, for it’s an unknown tongue. I was speaking not unto men, but unto God, and that’s why you couldn’t comprehend what I was saying. It wasn’t for you son. As the scripture says, ‘for no man understandeth him.’ He, or in my case she, that speaks in an unknown tongue isn’t trying to preach to anyone, for he speaks ‘not unto men, but unto God.’” Kamal looked it up in his New World Translation to get it in standard English. “For he that speaks in a tongue speaks, not to men, but to God, for no one listens, but he speaks sacred secrets by the spirit.” He had absolutely no idea what that meant.
    “So what were you saying, mum?”
    “Exactly what that verse says I was saying: I was speaking mysteries by the spirit, or, as your Witness Bible puts it, ‘sacred secrets.’ Now take a look at verse 4. ‘He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.’ So the tongues in Acts 2 were for the church to understand, but what I did this morning was to edify myself. Unless of course there is a translator present, but that’s another story.”
    “When I get home we’re going to finish this, mom.”
    “We sure will son,” she smiled. “enjoy your day.” (THE GOSPEL TRUTH) http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-Truth-D...th+daley+reece

Any thoughts?