Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Chiefsinners Subduing Creation derail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Considering that his username derives from the Apostle Paul referring to himself as "the chief of sinners"? Nah, he might just really like Paul's writings. Too bad he can't write as good as him. Oh, where did the idea that Adam would be able to walk off a cliff with no problem come from? Being a Christian does not mean one is immune to life's problems. Especially not death. Either Christ returns before you die, or you go to be with Him when you die.
    My old handle was footwasher or worddoer, too much hubris, I thought. So downgrading myself is also pride?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      OK, so how bout taking another stab at it?

Do you consider yourself to be a prophet? It seems like you're trying to find a way to say no, but allow yourself enough wiggle room to think you are, indeed, a prophet.
      The short answer, no, I'm not a prophet.

The long answer, what you label as wiggling, how is a person to debate with you without being accused of claiming to be a prophet, just because he has a different point of view than you have?

Comment

It's the long, wordy posts that have us concerned. There's been a history of new twebbers(unless the footwasher that is still a username on this tweb is not you) posting long blog posts and not being clear about what they believe. It's not urgent that a new Christian take Old Testament 101. There are certainly lessons to be learned, but the history lesson can wait.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

It's the long, wordy posts that have us concerned. There's been a history of new twebbers(unless the footwasher that is still a username on this tweb is not you) posting long blog posts and not being clear about what they believe. It's not urgent that a new Christian take Old Testament 101. There are certainly lessons to be learned, but the history lesson can wait.
          Sparko wants long, comprehensive posts, spoonfeeding children. I think we should just try whatever fits to discuss Scripture interpretation. Bottom line, does my interpretation hold water?

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefsinner View Post
            The short answer, no, I'm not a prophet.

The long answer, what you label as wiggling, how is a person to debate with you without being accused of claiming to be a prophet, just because he has a different point of view than you have?
            I did not accuse you - I asked. You just seem incapable of giving an honest straight-up answer the first time.

Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We ain't docetists. But you can't make the mistake of denying Christ being divine. Jesus is fully God and fully man.
              Do you consider yourself to be a prophet?
              I did not accuse you - I asked. You just seem incapable of giving an honest straight-up answer the first time.

Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.
              John 8:53"Surely You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets died too; whom do You make Yourself out to be?

Comment

Scripture says Jesus emptied Himself, that He did not think His glory was something to be hung on to. Otherwise how could He prove it was possible for Him to convince His followers to do what He did? And how do you explain this:

Hebrews 5:8But even though he was God's Son, he learned through his sufferings to be obedient.

BTW do you know what "docetism" teaches?

Definition
                Gnosticism, that Christ's body was not human but either a phantasm or of real but celestial substance, and that therefore his sufferings were only apparent.
                You didn't answer any of my questions. Do you believe in the Trinity? That God the Son came to earth and took on Flesh?

Do you understand the hypostatic union, that Jesus was not two separate persons but ONE person, and fully human and fully God? He didn't need to be rescued from the desert. He did that to show that he could be tempted and not sin. Jesus was still completely God. He willingly didn't use some of his attributes while in human form, but he was still God. He was omniscient for example. He knew the hearts and past of the woman at the well. He knew Peter would deny him.

What denomination are you? Because I haven't heard any of them that teach that Christians have to "subdue creation" and pass a test and be rescued in order to "enter into his rest" - that is complete nonsense. The only rescue we are promised is from sin and damnation. And that is a free gift, not a test.
                Last edited by Sparko; 08-31-2020, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Strange. The posts get deleted when I edit with a smart phone. I think the mapping of the hot links gets messed up. IOW, the delete button gets pressed when I press save changes.
                  I restored your posts that got deleted. If I restored anything that you don't want restored let me know and I will delete it again.

Comment

Sparko wants long, comprehensive posts, spoonfeeding children. I think we should just try whatever fits to discuss Scripture interpretation. Bottom line, does my interpretation hold water?
                    No, I want simple posts with direct answers to questions, not playing verbal dodge ball, answering simple questions with long drawn out answers and tossing out scripture word salad. Your propensity to answer a question with a question and toss out esoteric scriptures that don't make a lot of sense in context is why Cow Poke was asking if you thought of yourself as a prophet. Because we have had that type here before, claiming to have the "truth" that everyone else missed for 2000 years until they showed up.

We had one fellow, Biblewheel, who was a real doozy. You can read all about his nonsense here: https://www.biblewheel.com/Wheel/wheel.php

[Note: after he interacted with us here on Theologyweb for a while, and some self-reflecting, he eventually came to his senses and repented of his nonsense.]

Comment

John 8:53"Surely You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets died too; whom do You make Yourself out to be?
                      You have demonstrated a propensity for yanking verses out of context and pretend they apply to a particular situation. That's not a good sign.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You have demonstrated a propensity for yanking verses out of context and pretend they apply to a particular situation. That's not a good sign.
                        Well Jesus answered that He did indeed exist before Abraham, which was what the Council used to trap Him:

Matthew 27:11Now Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor questioned Him, saying, “Are You the King of the Jews?” And Jesus said to him, “It is as you say.” 12And while He was being accused by the chief priests and elders, He did not answer. 13Then Pilate said to Him, “Do You not hear how many things they testify against You?”

It's interesting that the sinners in the situation were both the Council and Pilate, that they would be accountable before God, who had raised them up to judge fairly, considering Scripture was used to support His claims.

John 19:11Then Jesus said, “You would have no power over me at all unless it were given to you from above. So the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin.”
                        Last edited by footwasher; 08-31-2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Well Jesus answered that He did indeed exist before Abraham, which was what the Council used to trap Him:
                          And they clearly got that message because they picked up rocks to stone him for blasphemy (John 10:31)

Matthew 27:11Now Jesus stood before the governor, and the governor questioned Him, saying, “Are You the King of the Jews?” And Jesus said to him, “It is as you say.” 12And while He was being accused by the chief priests and elders, He did not answer. 13Then Pilate said to Him, “Do You not hear how many things they testify against You?”

It's interesting that the sinners in the situation were both the Council and Pilate, that they would be accountable before God, who had raised them up to judge fairly, considering Scripture was used to support His claims.

John 19:11Then Jesus said, “You would have no power over me at all unless it were given to you from above. So the one who handed me over to you has the greater sin.”
                          How, exactly, is this a response to my post?

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefsinner
                            A question was used with the intention to extract an incriminating answer which was later used to accuse Jesus.
                            One of many, yes.

That is why I recognised your question as a prelude to an accusation. Sorry to disappoint.
                            Ah, you're pretending to use scripture as an excuse not to answer a simple question which was NOT intended to "extract an incriminating answer" which would later be used to accuse you.

I didn't realize you were so insecure. Simple question - simple answer. But, I believe that, in all your bloviating, you've actually answered my question.

Thanks.

Comment

One of many, yes.

Ah, you're pretending to use scripture as an excuse not to answer a simple question which was NOT intended to "extract an incriminating answer" which would later be used to accuse you.

I didn't realize you were so insecure. Simple question - simple answer. But, I believe that, in all your bloviating, you've actually answered my question.

Thanks.
                              Insecure? The posts (backed by Scripture) have been shifted to Unorthodoxy. Need I say more?

Comment

Insecure? The posts (backed by Scripture) have been shifted to Unorthodoxy.
                                You think I did that?

Need I say more?
                                You don't, but, no doubt, you will.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X