Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Book Review: They Never Told Me This in Church! (Greg Deuble)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book Review: They Never Told Me This in Church! (Greg Deuble)

A few months ago I read "They Never Told Me This in Church!" by Greg Deuble.

A major theme of this book is the author's position that the Bible does not teach the Deity of Christ nor the Trinity.

I have selected a few things Mr. Deuble has written and I offer my comments below each of them.

1. It is certain that when God speaks to us He does not intend us to use the Humpty Dumpty principle and make up our own private meanings to suit our man-made theories and traditions. (page 77)

This is an excellent approach to understanding what the words of the Bible mean. Sadly though Mr. Deuble does not follow his own advice.
    -------------------------------
    2a. Christ's exaltation is the means to a higher end. For through him all worship is ultimately directed to his God and Father. To worship him as the Lord Messiah is thus a divinely pleasing but subordinated relative worship. (pages 122-123).

2b. Thus, the one God and Father is alone worshipped absolutely. All other divinely appointed worship is homage to persons who are not God Himself. Jesus is among those worthy of such worship for he is worshipped as the one Messiah, God's supreme Son and agent. (page 123)

There is not one New Testament Greek word that teaches that the Lord Jesus does not receive the same level of worship that the Father receives.
    -------------------------------------------------
    3. Therefore, it is perfectly legitimate for Christians who love the Lord Jesus as their Saviour and Messiah to pray to him. (He said, "If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it," John 14:14. And the apostle Pal appealed directly to the Lord Jesus in prayer for a pressing personal need in 2 Cor. 12:8.) It is perfectly legitimate for Christians in worship to sing and make melody "with your heart to the Lord; [for this is to] give thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father" (Eph. 5:19-20). (page 125)

This is correct. Unfortunately footnote #49 reads:
    But only the Father can be worshipped as the Almighty God. (page 125)
    See my comment in #2.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    4. Whilst Jesus may share the title "king of kings and Lord of Lords" with God his Father, there is one title reserved uniquely for the Father God. No other individual, including the Lord Jesus, is ever called by the title "God of gods" (cp. Deut. 10:17). This title, as well as "the Lord God" (e.g. Rev. 1:8), is always reserved for the one true God, who is the Father (page 227).

To be the Lord of lords means the same thing as being the God of gods for whenever Lord of lords is found in the Old Testament it is always used in association with the God of gods (cf. Deuteronomy 10:17; Psalms 136:1-3).

How is the Lord of lords in reference to the Lord Jesus (cf. Revelation 17:14; 19:16) to be understood?
    1. Mounce: John envisions him as the ruler over all the kings of the earth- “King of kings and Lord of lords” (Rev. 17:14; 19:15-16). The Roman emperor was called “king of kings” because he presided over the vassal kings of the empire, but how puny and conceited in light of the absolute sovereignty of the Lamb, the true Lord of lords (Mounce’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, Lord, page 423).
    2. The TDNT refers to this as Christ’s “divine equality” with God (5:273, onoma, Bietenhard) and Thayer cites both Revelation 19:16 and Deuteronomy 10:17 saying it refers to the “Supreme Lord” (Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, kurios, page 366). Supreme means “highest in rank or authority” (Webster’s Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, supreme, page 1430). Therefore, Christ is the “highest” Lord of heaven.
    3. Danker: Citing Revelation 17:14 and 19:16 writes "(cp. En 9:4)". (A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, kurios, page 578).
    Enoch 9:4 reads: Then they said to their Lord, the King, You are Lord of lords, God of gods, King of kings. The throne of your glory is for ever and ever, and for ever and ever is your name sanctified and glorified. You are blessed and glorified.
    4. G.K. Beale: The Lamb demonstrates his deity on the last day by judging the beast that carries "Babylon the Great." And he exposes as false the divine claims of the emperor and others like him (The Book of Revelation: A Commentary on the Greek Text, page 881, Revelation 17:14).

The Father is referred to as Lord in heaven (cf. Acts 4:29). Since 'Lord" is singular while lords is plural in Revelation 17:14 and 19:16 for anyone who denies the Lord Jesus is God can you please let me know if your Lord of all lords/Supreme Lord/Highest Lord in heaven is the Father or the Lord Jesus?
    Last edited by foudroyant; 07-29-2014, 04:55 AM.
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X