Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The simplicity of the Gospel and it's consequences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The simplicity of the Gospel and it's consequences

I lost interest in debating with people a long time ago. I actually even stopped trying to find ways to be more effective in persuading people. I came to a conviction that the Word of God is not something that can be known by the lost; Jesus told the disciples so (Mark 4:11-12), and likewise Paul says so (1Cor 2:6-8). The Word of God is written in parables, such that ordinary person cannot discern its message of God's salvation through faith, not of works (Rom 9:30-32, Heb 4:1-2). Thus, none can discern the Word of God except to them who were given to know (Rom 10:14-15).

Yet many wise men, supposing they are more apt to be able to understand, try to search the message of the word of God and ignore the power of God us the sole giver of understanding His word. Paul clearly said, "...the world by wisdom knew not God..." (1Cor 1:21) While Christ said, "I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes." (Matt 11:25) It is only God who gives understanding of His Word, and thus he can chose to reveal it to whomsoever He chooses, even unto babes who are not apt to understand deep things.

What is the implication that God is the sole giver of understanding of His Word? The answer is simple: it is the proof that God is the only one who saves, and that man is not able to save himself by his own will. Salvation comes to us through knowing God. Christ said in his prayer, "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." (John 17:3) What distinguishes the saved to the lost is the understanding of the godhead (Mark 4:11-12, 2Cor 4:3, Luke 10:22). Man is not able to know the knowledge of godhead on his own. God is the sole giver of the knowledge of the godhead, and He give it only to those who are elect.

The godhead can easily be understood, thus a babe can be able to understand it. The gospel can be known with certainty (2Cor 1:18-20, 2Tim 3:10). Jesus himself said, "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." (John 7:17) God is not an author of confusion (1Cor 14:33), thus, James wrote, "...the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy." (James 3:17) But wisdom that comes from men, as Paul says, "...comes to nought." Thus, any doctrines that leads to confusion is surely not from God.

I find that most part of being discussed in the forum caters to men's wisdom, and thus I find it futile to get involve in the discussion. From time to time, I hear people confess how the doctrines they adhere to do not give them peace of mind; though they have peace adherring unto them. What these adherrents seem not know is that when their wisdom comes to nought, the knowledge of Godhead itself comes to nought; and it thus mean that they have no eternal life, or not saved. Salvation came at the time of Christ because he came to reveal the Godhead. Salvation is gained through having knowledge of the godhead (John 17:3).

And here is how plain the gospel is: The gospel reveals to us the godhead (Rom 1:16-20, 2Cor 4:3-6). The gospel is about the power and wisdom of God; for Christ, who is preached to us through the gospel is unto us the power and the wisdom of God ( 1Cor 1:24). The power and wisdom that shows the certainty of the Christian God as the true God is the power to know the future. God contends,

"9 Let all the nations be gathered together, and let the people be assembled: who among them can declare this, and shew us former things? let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified: or let them hear, and say, It is truth. 10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. 11I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour." (Isa 43:9-11)

What verifies the certainty of God is of his power to tell us of what is in the future. Such power is the one that certify and give us understanding that the God of Israel is the true God. God also said,

"9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me, 10 Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:" (Isa 46:9-10)

"21 Produce your cause, saith the LORD; bring forth your strong reasons, saith the King of Jacob. 22 Let them bring them forth, and shew us what shall happen: let them shew the former things, what they be, that we may consider them, and know the latter end of them; or declare us things for to come. 23 Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods: yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together." (Isa 41:21-23)

Christ was the prophet that is promised to us for our salvation. And God has sent us prophets prophesying of Christ's coming and of his ministry. And as the disciples come to witnessing the prophecy being fulfilled, they have come to understand the godhead and the certainty of the verity of godhead of the Christian God.

Now, the implication of God being able to tell the future implies that man has no free will; and this is fatal to most beliefs. Most beliefs are in the persuasion that man have a part in directing, or shaping, his future; but that is not what the gospel of Christ teach and preach.

Man has no power to direct his future, thus God challenged, "Shew the things that are to come hereafter, that we may know that ye are gods: yea, do good, or do evil, that we may be dismayed, and behold it together." (Isa 41:23)

It is being discussed many times in the forums how God's omniscience eliminates human free will, yet people kept resisting the simple conclusion. Rejecting the conclusion will consequentially lead to misunderstanding the gospel, thus misunderstanding the godhead...and not being saved.
    Last edited by FarEastBird; 04-18-2014, 10:00 AM.
    ...WISDOM giveth life to them that have it. (Ecclesiastes 7:12)
    ...the ISLES shall wait for his law (Isaiah 42:4)
    https://philippinesinprophecies.wordpress.com/

Originally posted by FarEastBird View Post
    I lost interest in debating with people a long time ago.
    Yet, here you are.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I right with you about the beauty of the simple gospel until you started discussing the relationship between divine omniscience and human free will. It would appear that you too are not immune to philosophical speculations of human wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Yet, here you are.
        Reading one line would not make you understand the whole point.

Comment

Reading one line would not make you understand the whole point.
          I read about halfway down, and saw where you were going. You came here to debate, after claiming you "lost interest in debating with people a long time ago".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
            I right with you about the beauty of the simple gospel until you started discussing the relationship between divine omniscience and human free will. It would appear that you too are not immune to philosophical speculations of human wisdom.
            Through the gospel, we come to know that God's omniscience is something real. God related His godhead in terms of His ability to know the future, thus he challenged us to know of our own future in terms of our own knowledge (Isa 41:23). The point here is that God is the one who knew, and can create the future, and it consequently make human free will, and even his knowledge, worthless. For if one cannot even maintain his own goodness in the future, then our knowledge would become worthless in striving with God. For then, if God will say to a human that he will become evil in the end, then how can the human reply against God? So, in the end, what is the point of speculating of human wisdom? And rather, I have a good observation and understanding that human wisdom is just a product of our physical brain, no less different that the bird's wisdom to build a nest rests in its brain.
            Last edited by FarEastBird; 04-18-2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I read about halfway down, and saw where you were going. You came here to debate, after claiming you "lost interest in debating with people a long time ago".
              Is debating the sole reason why you post on the forums?

Sharing views and trying to explain them does not necessarily meant engaging in a debate.

On my part, the reason I engaged in debates is because I am trying to persuade people. But since my belief states that it is God who gives understanding, then I have to get off thinking(even of feeling) that I can persuade anyone.

Comment

Through the gospel, we come to know that God's omniscience is something real. God related His godhead in terms of His ability to know the future, thus he challenged us to know of our own future in terms of our own knowledge (Isa 41:23). The point here is that God is the one who knew, and can create the future, and it consequently make human free will, and even his knowledge, worthless. For if one cannot even maintain his own goodness in the future, then our knowledge would become worthless in striving with God. For then, if God will say to a human that he will become evil in the end, then how can the human reply against God? So, in the end, what is the point of speculating of human wisdom? And rather, I have a good observation and understanding that human wisdom is just a product of our physical brain, no less different that the bird's wisdom to build a nest rests in its brain.
                Sounds like a heap of human wisdom to me.

Comment

Is debating the sole reason why you post on the forums?
                  Knock yourself out.

Unsubscribing.

Comment

Originally posted by RBerman View Post
                    Sounds like a heap of human wisdom to me.
                    The gospel plainly tell us that we cannot seek God through human wisdom (1Cor 1:21). Whatever I say would become vain to any hearer unless he comes to understand the gospel; because I merely try to echo what the gospel says. But knowledge of the gospel is God's gift. So I am not about trying to win anyone, but rather just doing my part.

If one truly believes in predestination, then he ought not to think that his own will is affecting God's election. I believe in God's predestination.

When Christ came to preach, he claimed to be the bread of life, and said other things which are surely a strange ideas for the hearers of those days. Did Christ argued about it, nor explained it? No (Mark 4:10-12). So, likewise, whatever I understand about the gospel is not something I have to contend with the hearers. If one is called, regardless how hard the speech is, he will come to know. And more, when Paul preached, he avoided to persuade with wisdom of words, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power (1Cor 1:17, 1Cor 2:4-5). Now the gospel is the demonstration of the power of God. And as I was saying in the OP, the power of God being demonstrated in the gospel is His omniscience.

Comment

Knock yourself out.

Unsubscribing.
                      To have knowledge of the godhead is a gift of God, thus, for me, though I am persuading every hearers, it is not about debating as if I can make anyone to understand the godhead. Paul avoided using the wisdom of words in his preaching because he, himself, said, "But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ." (Gal 1:11-12) Coming to understand the word of God is of about our persuasiveness, it is something that God himself will give to the elect. So there is no point of debating.

Comment

So there is no point of debating.
                        Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD -- Isaiah 1:18
                        As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. -- Proverbs 27:17

Comment

FEB,

Do you believe in the Trinity?

Comment

Originally posted by Zxcv Bnm View Post
                            Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD -- Isaiah 1:18
                            As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. -- Proverbs 27:17
                            It does not mean that because God, or the Bible, commands us to do things, would also meant we are able. The Bible says "Be perfect", can you then make yourself perfect? Jesus said to the woman "sin no more", would you believe that the woman is able not to sin anymore?

Jesus came to preached the gospel of salvation, yet he said that only the elect will understand. So do not be misled that because God, or the Bible tell us so, does not mean that we should be under compulsory to do it. God gave the law to Israel, but Jesus came and revealed to the apostles that those under the law are cursed, and that he, Jesus, will save us from the bondage of the law. So, watch out for the commandments which only serve to justify that the person who is under such commandments is cursed.

You can sure study the Bible as you wish with all your might, but unless God sends you, you will never understand the gospel. (Rom 10:15) If you think you can know God's mysteries by yourself, then you are making God a liar. I believe you do not intend such by heart.

I understand that there are people who are evil by heart, and would claim to understand the word of God in spite of their confusion. And you, if you have only learned from men who only learned from men, and who does not even claim to have anointing from God, your doctrines will surely lead you to hell.
                            Last edited by FarEastBird; 04-30-2014, 08:04 PM.

Comment

FareastBird,

Do you believe in the Trinity?

Thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X