Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Avoid saying Jesus is God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Larry Serflaten View Post
    Just a reminder to avoid referring to Jesus as God.

Jesus is God's son. We all are the children of God, who is our Heavenly Father.

So many people cling to the vague words of John (John 1:1) wherein they have to add their own interpretations, while disregarding the plain language of Paul (1 Timothy 1:2)

Stick with the simplicity of God's word. God is our Heavenly Father, and Jesus is our Lord and King.
    Jesus is God.png
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So many people cling to the vague words of John (John 1:1) wherein they have to add their own interpretations, while disregarding the plain language of Paul (1 Timothy 1:2)

Stick with the simplicity of God's word. God is our Heavenly Father, and Jesus is our Lord and King.
      Jesus didn't appropriate Ba'al imagery to proclaim that he was "Lord and King". Even the Jews recognized that. Mat. 24:30, Mat. 26:64, Mk. 13:26, Mk. 14:62, Lk. 21:27

Jesus is God.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Jesus didn't appropriate Ba'al imagery to proclaim that he was "Lord and King". Even the Jews recognized that. Mat. 24:30, Mat. 26:64, Mk. 13:26, Mk. 14:62, Lk. 21:27

Jesus is God.
        Jesus is STILL God.png
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

....We all are the children of God.....
          I'm gonna call you on that specifically.

We are the creation of God, but we become His children when we are adopted into His Family by becoming joint heirs with Christ.

The Bible is clear that all people are God’s creation (Colossians 1:16), and that God loves the entire world (John 3:16), but only those who are born again are children of God (John 1:12; 11:52; Romans 8:16; 1 John 3:1-10).

Scripture Verse: John 1

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

So many people cling to the vague words of John (<a href="https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/preSearch.cfm?Criteria=John+1.1&amp;t=NIV" target="BLB_NW" rel="NIV.John.1.1" class="BLBST_a" style="white-space: nowrap;">John 1:1</a>) wherein they have to add their own interpretations, while disregarding the plain language of Paul (<a href="https://www.blueletterbible.org/search/preSearch.cfm?Criteria=1Timothy+1.2&amp;t=NIV" target="BLB_NW" rel="NIV.1Timothy.1.2" class="BLBST_a" style="white-space: nowrap;">1 Timothy 1:2</a>)

You prophesied:

Source: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum/world-religions/unorthodox-theology-201/1555412-avoid-saying-jesus-is-god?p=1556633#post1556633

There will be an extraordinary event out in space. I don't know what it is, we may not have a name for it. It will be something we have not seen before. If this extraordinary event happen within a week (it takes time for light to travel), then believe that God has given you a witness to what I have been saying, and you need to pay closer attention. If it does not happen, then believe me not.

Your prophecy did not come to pass, therefore you are a false prophet and we do not believe you or your message of leading people away from God. Then you have the audacity to come back and try to preach the same message? Your hubris knows no bounds.
            We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Scripture Verse: John 10:30

I and the Father are one

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I and the Father are one

Wait - are you claiming that the Bible says that

Jesus is God.png ???

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Wait - are you claiming that the Bible says that

Jesus is God.png ???
                  I think I'm saying that Jesus said so.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think I'm saying that Jesus said so.
                    Well, technically, you're referring to the Bible where there's an account of John saying that Jesus said that.

All totally reliable sources, I might add - a Trifecta of Testimony that....

Jesus is God.png

Comment

I'm gonna call you on that specifically.

We are the creation of God, but we become His children when we are adopted into His Family by becoming joint heirs with Christ.
                      Point noted, however, this is a religious site, with most (if not all) in this forum claiming to be of the Christian faith. If Paul, speaking to the Romans, can use that phrase, then I figure it is safe for me to use it likewise (Rom. 8:16)

Comment

I and the Father are one

Then we are all going to become God? Jesus asked that all those who believe on him become one with God (and himself).

I would venture to say John 10:30 is not saying what you think it says....

Scripture Verse: John 17:22-21

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Last edited by Larry Serflaten; 04-03-2024, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Point noted, however, this is a religious site, with most (if not all) in this forum claiming to be of the Christian faith.
                          Actually, I believe that's far from the truth, as we have plenty of people identifying as agnostic, atheist - or otherwise here to the Christians with very anti-Christian nonsense.

If Paul, speaking to the Romans, can use that phrase, then I figure it is safe for me to use it likewise (Rom. 8:16)
                          You seem to excel at being wrong - Paul wasn't writing to the Romans (in general) - he was writing to the Christians there. He states so at the very beginning of the Book of Romans...

Scripture Verse: Romans 1 - NIV

To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be his holy people

So, STRIKE ONE.... no, it's not "safe to use that phrase" here.

STRIKE TWO - even in the section you ripped out of context, Paul says...

Scripture Verse: Romans 8

12 Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. 13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

A) He makes it clear - AGAIN - that he is writing to "brothers and sisters" - Christians
                          2) He makes it clear - AGAIN - that he is referencing "those who are led by the Spirit of God" as being "the children of God".

STRIKE THREE -

outta-here.gif

Comment

Paul wasn't writing to the Romans (in general)
                            And neither was I writing to all of humanity (in general). Yet to find fault you assign more to the words than was intended. If that is your expertise, then have at it!

Comment

Then we are all going to become God?
                              For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

Only the men. And only if you're a Mormon.

I would venture to say John 10:30 is not saying what you think it says....

Scripture Verse: John 17:22-21

Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Let's make it a little less hard for you to understand.... The Easy-to-Read Version....

Scripture Verse: John 17

20 “I pray not only for these followers but also for those who will believe in me because of their teaching. 21 Father, I pray that all who believe in me can be one. You are in me and I am in you. I pray that they can also be one in us. Then the world will believe that you sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me. I gave them this glory so that they can be one, just as you and I are one. 23 I will be in them, and you will be in me. So they will be completely one. Then the world will know that you sent me and that you loved them just as you loved me.

Jesus is wanting His followers (see vs 20) to be in unity - just as Jesus and the Father are in unity (see vs 21).

Comment

And neither was I writing to all of humanity (in general).
                                This is not the "mostly Christian" venue you pretended it to be.

Yet to find fault you assign more to the words than was intended. If that is your expertise, then have at it!
                                I have but one thing to say to that, Larry....

Jesus is STILL God.png

Comment