Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Derail: Hyper-Calvinism discussion from "Big Beef" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

Free will is from Catholicism. The Reformers disproved it.
    Free will is clearly in scripture. Not the actual words "free will", but the concept.

Romans 7:19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.”

Proverbs 16:9 “The mind of the man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.”

Leviticus 18:5 “So you shall keep My statutes and My judgments, by which a man may live if he does them; I am the Lord.”

1 John 3:19-20 “We will know by this that we are of the truth and will assure our heart before Him in whatever our heart condemns us; for God is greater than our heart and knows all things.”

John 3:19 “This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light, for their deeds were evil.”

Mark 7:21-23 “For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed the evil thoughts, fornications, thefts, murders, adulteries, deeds of coveting and wickedness, as well as deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride and foolishness. All these evil things proceed from within and defile the man.”

Romans 6:14-20 “For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness? But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. I am speaking in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness, resulting in further lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness, resulting in sanctification. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.”

Joshua 24:15 But if it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served, which were beyond the Euphrates River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

John 17:7 If anyone is willing to do His will, he will know about the teaching, whether it is of God, or I am speaking from Myself.

Deuteronomy 30:19-20 This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life, and he will give you many years in the land he swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Shall I continue?

You have lied against Cow Poke.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Well then, we are not responsible for our belief in free will. Obviously God wants us to believe in it for some reason, and there is nothing you can do about it.
      It's based on the civil law you were raised in. So you turn the gospel into law and grace into works. It takes a renewed mind to know free will is heresy. And to understand the gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

It's based on the civil law you were raised in. So you turn the gospel into law and grace into works. It takes a renewed mind to know free will is heresy. And to understand the gospel.
        If I don't believe as you do, and you are correct that there is no free will, then it is because God wants me to believe in free will. If He wants me to believe in free will, why are you bothering to try to convince me otherwise? It is a fool's errand. The only thing that will change my mind will be God Himself.

But instead you are here arguing that there is no free will and that we should change and believe you. Which means despite your own words, even you believe in free will. Your viewpoint is self-defeating and your actions show it.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          You have lied against Cow Poke.
          That's a hallmark of cultists.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

240 views!! Grow Thread Grow!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              240 views!! Grow Thread Grow!!!
              I still think we should combine them - sometimes I forget which unorthodox or padded room thread I'm posting in.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X