Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Derail: Hyper-Calvinism discussion from "Big Beef" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

If you have free will, stop sinning.
    That's actually a good argument for Calvinism.

Is that not a good argument? If you have free will, and it's really truly free, then use that free will and stop sinning.

I go to a Presbyterian Church and I did verify recently that they are definitely Calvinist. Not too much is emphasized regarding free will though...that is, this doctrine is hardly noticeable in the sermons.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

That's actually a good argument for Calvinism.

Is that not a good argument? If you have free will, and it's really truly free, then use that free will and stop sinning.

I go to a Presbyterian Church and I did verify recently that they are definitely Calvinist. Not too much is emphasized regarding free will though...that is, this doctrine is hardly noticeable in the sermons.
      If we have a sin nature, we are "addicted" to sin. While we can avoid individual sins if we try, like an addict, eventually we will return to sin when things become tough.

Also, Dave L claims he believes in infralapsarianism

Infralapsarianism (“after the lapse”) puts God’s decrees in the following order: (1) God decreed the creation of mankind, (2) God decreed mankind would be allowed to fall into sin through their own self-determination, (3) God decreed to save some of the fallen, and (4) God decreed to provide Jesus Christ as the Redeemer. Infralapsarianism focuses on God allowing the fall and providing salvation. This is by far the majority Reformed (or Calvinistic) view.
      https://www.gotquestions.org/lapsarianism.html

Yet he seems to be claiming that we have no free will or self-determinism, that for example, BIden is just doing what God wants him to do, no more or no less. That we are all doing that. Yet see above, that is not what infralapsarians believe. He is a hyper-calvinist from what I can tell, no matter what he claims.

Comment

You should know more than me. But it is obvious you know very little about Christ and his ways.
        And there, once again, that pharisaical judgmental attitude. Try reading the 7th chapter of Matthew.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Grow thread Grow!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Grow thread Grow!
            I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if Dave walks alone in the dark.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And there, once again, that pharisaical judgmental attitude. Try reading the 7th chapter of Matthew.
              If you knew anything about Christ you would agree with me. I'm in line with all the historic creeds before and after the Reformation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

If we have a sin nature, we are "addicted" to sin. While we can avoid individual sins if we try, like an addict, eventually we will return to sin when things become tough.

Also, Dave L claims he believes in infralapsarianism

Infralapsarianism (“after the lapse”) puts God’s decrees in the following order: (1) God decreed the creation of mankind, (2) God decreed mankind would be allowed to fall into sin through their own self-determination, (3) God decreed to save some of the fallen, and (4) God decreed to provide Jesus Christ as the Redeemer. Infralapsarianism focuses on God allowing the fall and providing salvation. This is by far the majority Reformed (or Calvinistic) view.
                https://www.gotquestions.org/lapsarianism.html

Yet he seems to be claiming that we have no free will or self-determinism, that for example, BIden is just doing what God wants him to do, no more or no less. That we are all doing that. Yet see above, that is not what infralapsarians believe. He is a hyper-calvinist from what I can tell, no matter what he claims.
                All of the Reformed creeds are infralapsarian. So am I.

Comment

If you knew anything about Christ you would agree with me.
                  wow

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

wow

You agree more with the Catholics than you do the Reformers.

Comment

That is an outright untruth about Cow Poke.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

You, sir, are a liar. Or, at best, an ignoramous.

There, more jewels in your crown?

Comment

All of the Reformed creeds are infralapsarian. So am I.
                          Then you should admit you are wrong when you claimed that Biden is only doing what God wants him to do, as if he has no free will or choice in the matter.

Comment

Biden is a Catholic. Sounds like you are the one agreeing more with the Catholics than the Reformers.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

That is an outright untruth about Cow Poke.
                              Free will is from Catholicism. The Reformers disproved it.

Comment

Free will is from Catholicism. The Reformers disproved it.
                                Well then, we are not responsible for our belief in free will. Obviously God wants us to believe in it for some reason, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Comment