Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Derail: Hyper-Calvinism discussion from "Big Beef" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

@DaveL obviously doesn't understand Hebriac Proverbs and their penchant for hyperbole and that they often state general lifestyle principles in unequivocal terms for emphasis. (It was their way of putting an exclamation mark at the end of a teaching). We misinterpret and/or misunderstand them in a woodenly literal sense and make them into universal laws.

For instance, Proverbs 12:21 says: "No harm happens to the righteous,
    but the wicked are filled with trouble".

As a Pastor, you know that bad things happen to good people...I've seen a lot of it myself as a chaplain Still a good principle for Christians to live a righteous lifestyle, but not a guarantee of zero harm in our lives...I guess Jesus wasn't righteous enough...
    “The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: He turneth it whithersoever he will.” Proverbs 21:1 (KJV 1900) This means what it says. “The preparations of the heart in man, And the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.” Proverbs 16:1 (KJV 1900) “A man’s heart deviseth his way: But the LORD directeth his steps.” Proverbs 16:9 (KJV 1900) “There are many devices in a man’s heart; Nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.” Proverbs 19:21 (KJV 1900) “O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: It is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.” Jeremiah 10:23 (KJV 1900)

See if you can choke this down

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post

“The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: He turneth it whithersoever he will.” Proverbs 21:1 (KJV 1900) This means what it says. “The preparations of the heart in man, And the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.” Proverbs 16:1 (KJV 1900) “A man’s heart deviseth his way: But the LORD directeth his steps.” Proverbs 16:9 (KJV 1900) “There are many devices in a man’s heart; Nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.” Proverbs 19:21 (KJV 1900) “O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: It is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.” Jeremiah 10:23 (KJV 1900)

See if you can choke this down

I noticed you didn't explain my example: Proverbs 12:21. Why are bad things happening to righteous people? Have you experienced any harm since giving your life to Christ? Doesn't that make you "righteous"?

You're making yourself look foolish by simply repeating yourself like it makes it right.

Your inability to exegete scripture is the only thing I'm able to choke down. Must be a terrible Kingdom you live in there where God makes you sin and then holds you responsible for it.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Where's the beef?

Comment

Originally posted by Alien View Post
          Where's the beef?
          It's so good to see you here again!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Where's the beef?
            That would be the thread from which this was split: Big Beef

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

“The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: He turneth it whithersoever he will.” Proverbs 21:1 (KJV 1900) This means what it says.....
              They why do you keep trying to explain it?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Where's the beef?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I noticed you didn't explain my example: Proverbs 12:21. Why are bad things happening to righteous people? Have you experienced any harm since giving your life to Christ? Doesn't that make you "righteous"?

You're making yourself look foolish by simply repeating yourself like it makes it right.

Your inability to exegete scripture is the only thing I'm able to choke down. Must be a terrible Kingdom you live in there where God makes you sin and then holds you responsible for it.
                  What are your credentials? Any credited degrees? Why do you think you are right and I'm wrong?

Comment

We are guaranteed tribulation in the world. It is good for the believer and bad for the rest. Do you believe all things work together for good to those who love the Lord?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Another version of that [NIV] says "In the LORD’s hand the king’s heart is a stream of water that he channels toward all who please him." Is Biden really "in the LORD's hand"?
                      “and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the first-born of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us, and released us from our sins by His blood,” Revelation 1:5 (NASB)

Comment

They why do you keep trying to explain it?

How do you explain it?

Comment

“and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the first-born of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us, and released us from our sins by His blood,” Revelation 1:5 (NASB)
                          Being the ruler of the kings of the earth doesn't mean that God manipulates every thought and action. It simply means that they are subject to Him, and will ultimately answer to Him.

When you were persistently arguing moderation in the other thread, did God make you do that?

Comment

Being the ruler of the kings of the earth doesn't mean that God manipulates every thought and action. It simply means that they are subject to Him, and will ultimately answer to Him.

When you were persistently arguing moderation in the other thread, did God make you do that?
                            “The preparations of the heart in man, And the answer of the tongue, is from the LORD.” Proverbs 16:1 (KJV 1900)

Have you ever had a Freudian slip of the tongue? This happens when you try your hardest not to say what you just said.

Comment

He must think we have the free will of fictional characters.
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                                He must think we have the free will of fictional characters.
                                If you have free will, stop sinning.

Comment