Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Decline of Mormonism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    One of the key factors of determining the status is extra biblical revelation - of which Mormonism is made primarily.
    I made the point that , to the Jews , the new "Christian" religion was also considered a "cult" with "extra-biblical revelation".

7up: ...you missed the point. The New Testament is considered by Jews to be "extra-biblical". That doesn't stop you from believing in it.

A) I'm not a Jew
    2) I'm a New Testament Christian
    C) Saul, based on Jewish teachings, tried to destroy Christianity, only to become one of its greatest proponents

Wow.

I cannot dumb the point down for you any more than I already have. It is well over your head.

Congrats. I give up.

-7up
    Last edited by seven7up; 01-07-2016, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seven7up View Post
      Congrats. I give up.

-7up
      Promise? Because you are failing miserably.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I made the point that , to the Jews , the new "Christian" religion was also considered a "cult" with "extra-biblical revelation".
        Yes, and a very influential Jew who was prosecuting/persecuting that very "cult", became convinced - as I am - that Christianity is the real thing, and became one of its greatest proponents. (Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the story of Saul/Paul?) Unlike the egomaniac Smith who decided it wasn't good enough and had to personally invent his own cult, of course built entirely on his own person.

Jesus was the Perfect Son of God.

Smith, on the other hand, was a womanizer, liar, money digger, egomaniac, con man....

I bow before Jesus - you bow before a fraud.

Yeah, you really should give up, and turn to Christ.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Y

I bow before Jesus - you bow before a fraud.

Yeah, you really should give up, and turn to Christ.

Good one Cow Poke.

Why don't you just go around and continue to tell everyone that Mormons worship Joseph Smith rather than Jesus Christ?

They will find out who the liar is soon enough..... (Guess what? It is you.)

-7up

Comment

Good one Cow Poke.

Why don't you just go around and continue to tell everyone that Mormons worship Joseph Smith rather than Jesus Christ?
            Why don't you quit being dishonest and twisting my words? I didn't say "rather than" - I implied in addition to. And you can keep pretending you don't worship Smith.

They will find out who the liar is soon enough..... (Guess what? It is you.)

-7up
            I'm not the one who's deceived into thinking that Smith is going to "help Jesus check people into Heaven", as one of your buddies used to claim here on Tweb.

By the way, you are in violation of the rules for accusing me of being a liar without substantiation, but that's no surprise.

Comment

Why don't you quit being dishonest and twisting my words? I didn't say "rather than" - I implied in addition to. And you can keep pretending you don't worship Smith.

That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                In addition to that, you can look at the blatantly phony historical revisionism of Smith's life in the "Prophet of the Restoration" propaganda film to see how they worship him. They make him look like Jesus, but without the cursing of the fig tree or the overturning of tables in the Temple.

No mention whatsoever of his moneygrubbing, bank fraud, womanizing, marrying other men's wives under the guise of "God told me I had to", etc...

Comment

And, therefore, he started his own religion, based on his own testimony, his own "visions", his own money digging, his own writings, his own wild imagination, his own grand ego, his own sexual fantasies, his own.......

It's all about Smith.

Christianity is all about Jesus, buried, crucified and risen again.
                  Yep...
                  I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

And, therefore, he (Joseph Smith) started his own religion,....

Christianity is all about Jesus, buried, crucified and risen again.
                    You don't know spit about what Joseph Smith actually taught. All you pretend to know is a caricature of the actual LDS faith.

The Prophet Joseph Smith declared, “The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it”

-7up

Comment

Why don't you quit being dishonest and twisting my words? I didn't say "rather than" - I implied in addition to.
                      Equally a lie... and you know it.

Please continue. It only confirms that you have no intention of representing the truth.

I'm not the one who's deceived into thinking that Smith is going to "help Jesus check people into Heaven", as one of your buddies used to claim here on Tweb.
                      As you are probably aware, you are taking the concept out of context:

As Christ said:

"Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.
                      For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me.
                      But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?"
                      (John 5:45-47)

Similarly, Noah offered "salvation" to those who would join him in the ark. Those who were disobedient and failed to enter the ark were swept off the earth in the flood and ended up in spirit prison (1 Peter 3:20). Again, as the prophet of his dispensation, Noah provided the "passport" for those who accepted the word of God that came through him.

In the the time of the New Testament Church, those who accepted the apostles and prophets and did not reject the message of Jesus Christ were saved. As the Lord said to the apostles, "He that receiveth you receiveth me" (Matt. 10:40).

THAT IS THE CONTEXT. This is nothing new.

By the way, you are in violation of the rules for accusing me of being a liar without substantiation, but that's no surprise.
                      You claim that we "worship" Joseph Smith. Everyone knows that this is a lie. Including you. No violation here.

-7up
                      Last edited by seven7up; 02-23-2016, 02:41 AM.

Comment

You don't know spit about what Joseph Smith actually taught. All you pretend to know is a caricature of the actual LDS faith.

The Prophet Joseph Smith declared, “The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it”

-7up
                        Sounds good...

"SOUNDS" being the operative word. The problem with mormonism is that they change the very idea of God and Jesus into a twisted travesty of what the bible reveals. The mormon Jesus is a creation of the Father, a literal son who is brother to Satan. And the Father himself was just a man born on another planet who became God. And you believe that one day YOU can become a God and have your own planet. So your God and your Jesus are not the God of the bible. So any words claiming that your faith is based on Jesus, that he died, was buried and rose again, are speaking of a different and a false Jesus. A Jesus who is a figment of Smith's imagination and lies.

Comment

-7up
                          The problem is that he used the same English words, yet means something entirely different by several of them. And the appendages are even worse. Joseph Smith rotted the core message, and the rest festered as a result.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Christians live BECAUSE Jesus lived. Mormons believe they live REGARDLESS of Jesus.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You don't know spit about what Joseph Smith actually taught.
                              More importantly, I know what he did.

Comment

Equally a lie... and you know it.
                                Calm yourself, 7, and check out the new clarifications on accusations of lying. If you accuse me of lying, you have to specify what it was I lied about. I didn't lie.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X