Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

John the Apostle and the Three Nephites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John the Apostle and the Three Nephites

According to the Mormon Church, John the Apostle is still roaming the earth, having never died. Along with John the Three Nephites (who were supposedly appointed apostles by Jesus in the New World) are also still alive. If this is true, how could there have been a total apostasy of the Church established by Jesus Christ? Joseph Smith didn't have to restore anything since four of Christ's apostles still walked the earth according to Mormonism!

This article by Bill McKeever deals with this issue: http://www.mrm.org/surviving-apostles

These are the kind of questions we need Mormons to confront and think about.
    Last edited by Doctrine Matters; 07-24-2015, 11:04 AM.

Even apostles can apostasize, like Judas. Didn't Joseph Smith boast at one point that he was better than Jesus, because none of his apostles had apostasized?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Even apostles can apostasize, like Judas. Didn't Joseph Smith boast at one point that he was better than Jesus, because none of his apostles had apostasized?
      Joseph Smith, ever the bragger said, "God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil--all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet. " History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 408-409

Of course this was patently false since many Mormons left his church in Kirtland, Ohio, after Smith's bank fraud activity.

Comment

I think that was just before his wife gave him a beatdown for running a bar in the hotel he owned.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctrine Matters View Post
          The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet. "
          I believe some of the members of the mob that killed him were his own followers who had finally "had it up to here".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think that was just before his wife gave him a beatdown for running a bar in the hotel he owned.
            Yeah, Joe wasn't known for keeping the supposedly God-revealed "Word of Wisdom."

Comment

Originally posted by Doctrine Matters View Post
              Joseph Smith, ever the bragger said, "God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil--all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet. " History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 408-409

This is not especially relevant to the point I was making.

Of course this was patently false since many Mormons left his church in Kirtland, Ohio, after Smith's bank fraud activity.
              Was that quote uttered before or after Kirtland? Did the Kirtland bank scam drive away a majority or minority of his followers?
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Wait.. wouldn't it be obvious if some guys were still around after thousands of years?
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                  Wait.. wouldn't it be obvious if some guys were still around after thousands of years?
                  Not necessarily. Read Poul Anderson's Boat of a Million Years sometime.

sigpic

Comment

This is not especially relevant to the point I was making.

Was that quote uttered before or after Kirtland? Did the Kirtland bank scam drive away a majority or minority of his followers?
                    Actually, about a month before Smith's demise!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      Well, if four of Christ's Apostles were still living they'd be leading the Church, right? Not allowing it to drift into total apostasy until the occultist, Joe Smith, was visited by a dead spirit (Moroni) who had become an angel (humans do not become angels other than in Swedenborgianism and folk religion), and told where to dig up gold or golden or shiny or whatever plates.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X