Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration (Movie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration (Movie)

Stumbling around hulu, I found a movie called Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration. Not having a lot to do, and willing to educate myself in my opponents' viewpoints and history, I settled in to watch. It was clear 15 minutes into the film that this was going to be a propaganda piece, and it surprised me not one whit when I checked that it was produced and distributed by the LDS Church. So I watched the rest of the movie with this in mind. This was a puff piece; no character flaws in Smith were shown, some of the scandals that came later were never mentioned, even Smith's polygamy was worth nary a mention. Smith glided through most of the movie as though he was on Xanax (one notable exception was his righteous indignation at a group of Missourian thugs [redundancy?] holding Smith and his fellows captive), and enemies of the LDS Church are painted as almost cartoonishly evil.

Since Smith is presented as a paragon and a martyr, the only thing the film offers up for criticism is doctrine. This the movie offers up with aplomb, blithely unaware (or maybe uncaring) that Mormon distinctives run counter to established parts of Christ's gospel the LDS ostensibly seeks to restore. One such doctrine is the idea of "forever marriage." In one humorous scene (I'll admin I laughed), Smith shared the idea that marriage was meant to last forever. This runs counter to Christ's words in Matthew 22:30. Another idea, presented multiple times throughout, is that opportunity for salvation will be presented somehow post-death to the deceased, which conflicts with Hebrews 9:27.

I can't find a whole heck of a lot to recommend this film. The parts of Smith's life I'd like to see portrayed with unflinching honesty are glossed over or omitted altogether, while the boldest parts of the story--the doctrines that make Mormons "Mormons"--are already well-known and far too obviously wrong in the light of the true Christ's teachings. It's hard to imagine who the target audience for the film is. Maybe the film appeals to the Mormon true believer, or maybe to the potential proselyte who isn't grounded very deeply in Scripture, but a well-rooted Christian can feel safe in watching this and will see it for what it is. ** (out of 5)

Yes, it was a propaganda piece - as much a work of fiction as the Book of Mormon itself. On the old Tweb, I believe I had a commentary that I typed while watching the whole thing.

If I remember correctly, this is the film that shows that Smith came up with his "everybody goes to heaven" doctrine* because his brother died without becoming a Mormon or otherwise trusting Christ. His doctrines were formed in reaction to his own life experiences and needs.

Or, maybe it was proxy baptism that resulted from that experience - I honestly don't remember.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      If I remember correctly, this is the film that shows that Smith came up with his "everybody goes to heaven" doctrine* ...
      What do you "remember" about the LDS concept known as "outer darkness"?

Not "everybody" goes to heaven according to LDS doctrine. I think that is pretty clear. Furthermore, when LDS refer to "heaven" they are usually referring to specifically the Celestial kingdom.

Sorry if I am picking apart what was simply meant to be a snide comment. But based on this posters comment that eternal marriage "runs counter to Christ's words in Matthew 22:30," I suspect that Unknown Comic knows very little about LDS doctrine, and thus can be easily be misled into the typical straw men that you all usually present about Mormon beliefs.

If I remember correctly, this is the film that shows that Smith came up with his "everybody goes to heaven" doctrine* because his brother died without becoming a Mormon or otherwise trusting Christ.
      (7up writes tongue in cheek).

Right Cow Poke, because every Christian knows that children all just go to hell for eternity.

His doctrines were formed in reaction to his own life experiences and needs.
      There is some truth to this statement. The young prophet read the scriptures which teach that if you lack wisdom, then you should ask God who will give an answer.

Joseph was faced with knowing that he needed forgiveness of sins, and he was faced with many competing and contradictory sects of Christianity, so he went to the Lord for forgiveness and guidance. He received an answer from God. Joseph and Oliver were studying scriptures which discussed baptism, so they went to the Lord asking about baptism and received an answer. The same for priesthood. The same for the question about what happens to children who die. Etc.

The ironic thing about your mockery is that when Christians don't know the answer to these questions, they just say they don't know or they make something up. Joseph did exactly what the scriptures say we should do.

Have you asked God about the answers to the tough questions?

And on that note, what do LDS missionaries tell people to do if they are investigating Mormonism? They say, "Don't listen to what other people say, or what I say. This is something that you need to ask God about."

Who out there is sincerely willing to do that?

-7up
      Last edited by seven7up; 02-12-2015, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Unknown Comic View Post
        One such doctrine is the idea of "forever marriage." In one humorous scene (I'll admin I laughed), Smith shared the idea that marriage was meant to last forever. This runs counter to Christ's words in Matthew 22:30.
        I address this here:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ernal-marriage

Originally posted by The Unknown Comic View Post
        Another idea, presented multiple times throughout, is that opportunity for salvation will be presented somehow post-death to the deceased, which conflicts with Hebrews 9:27.

Please explain why you think that Hebrews 9:27 conflicts with LDS doctrine. LDS certainly believe that men die once, and then comes the judgement.

I guarantee that part of your issue stems from a misunderstanding of LDS doctrine.

You probably think that Mormons believe that there is some kind of "second chance". That is absolutely incorrect.

-7up
        Last edited by seven7up; 02-12-2015, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seven7up View Post
          There is some truth to this statement.
          More than you would ever admit.

The young prophet read the scriptures which teach that if you lack wisdom, then you should ask God who will give an answer.
          No, he "credited" God with his own self-centered "revelations", like allowing him to have sex with other women, then threatening his dear faithful wife with DESTRUCTION if she didn't go along with it. The guy was a cheat, a liar, and a sex pervert. Doing this under the guise of "God made me do it" is just pure jackassery. He's no different than David Koresh or Jim Jones or Warren Jeffers, except that he was just much more gifted at deception.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

More than you would ever admit.
            It just makes sense. Something happens in life, then you question how or why, so you ask God for answers. I don't see why you have a problem with that.

No, he "credited" God with his own self-centered "revelations", ...
            That is your opinion. Have you asked God about it?

... then threatening his dear faithful wife with DESTRUCTION if she didn't go along with it.
            Joseph himself was threatened with destruction. He even indicated that he knew in the future it would cause some people to not consider the faith as true. He had to follow through on God's command.

[/QUOTE]The guy was a cheat, a liar, and a sex pervert. Doing this under the guise of "God made me do it" is just pure jackassery. He's no different than David Koresh or Jim Jones or Warren Jeffers, except that he was just much more gifted at deception.[/QUOTE]

Again, I disagree. The LDS church does not gain converts based on "cleverness". True converts simply ask God.

-7up

Comment

It just makes sense. Something happens in life, then you question how or why, so you ask God for answers. I don't see why you have a problem with that.
              But only a CON MAN and a LIAR would build a whole theology around it.

Comment

Joseph himself was threatened with destruction.
                He was a DRAMA QUEEN - he ALWAYS had an angle. USING God to come up with a goofy threat of destruction on his wife was just yet another outrageous abuse of power.

He even indicated that he knew in the future it would cause some people to not consider the faith as true. He had to follow through on God's command.
                Well, DUH, he could only sleep around with so many women before some of the men decided not to take it anymore! I mean - the guy wasn't a TOTAL moron! Then there was the Kirtland Bank scandal where he swindled people out of MONEY in hard times.... ANY idiot would know it would blow up at some point!

The guy was a cheat, a liar, and a sex pervert. Doing this under the guise of "God made me do it" is just pure jackassery. He's no different than David Koresh or Jim Jones or Warren Jeffers, except that he was just much more gifted at deception.

Again, I disagree. The LDS church does not gain converts based on "cleverness". True converts simply ask God.

-7up
                No, the Mormon Church gains converts on IGNORANCE --- ignorance of what the TRUE Gospel says, and DECEPTION with your layers and layers of BS.

Comment

It was a fluff piece for the faithful to cushion their testimonies with fables of Joseph's fictional squeaky clean image.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    It was a fluff piece for the faithful to cushion their testimonies with fables of Joseph's fictional squeaky clean image.
                    Yeah!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X