Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

LDS church having press conference on "religious freedom and nondiscrimination"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS church having press conference on "religious freedom and nondiscrimination"

This is at 10 am, which local time is about 15 minutes from now. They're encouraging people to use the Twitter hashtag #Fairness4All (which I can see backfiring easily). I'm really curious what will be announced.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Nothing particularly interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/us/mor...aws/index.html
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Source: cited article

Convening a rare press conference on Tuesday at church headquarters in Salt Lake City, Mormon leaders pledged to support anti-discrimination laws for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people, as long the laws also protect the rights of religious groups.

In exchange, the Mormon church wants gay rights advocates -- and the government -- to back off.

© Copyright Original Source

Sounds like damage control, pure and simple. They're trying to walk back some of their tough stance on homosexuality.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Source: cited article

Convening a rare press conference on Tuesday at church headquarters in Salt Lake City, Mormon leaders pledged to support anti-discrimination laws for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgender people, as long the laws also protect the rights of religious groups.

In exchange, the Mormon church wants gay rights advocates -- and the government -- to back off.

© Copyright Original Source

Sounds like damage control, pure and simple. They're trying to walk back some of their tough stance on homosexuality.
        Which is probably one of the only areas I agree with them on...
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Which is probably one of the only areas I agree with them on...
          Naw, you probably agree with their "financial responsibility" for families. (not being in debt, saving for the future, etc)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Naw, you probably agree with their "financial responsibility" for families. (not being in debt, saving for the future, etc)
            "One of the only" is not the same as "the only".

Comment

This is honestly nothing that I don't think most evangelical Christians couldn't affirm either (traditional teaching on homosexuality but calling for people not to discriminate against others).

Honestly, when I heard the announcement, I was wondering if it was allowing women to the priesthood.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                This is honestly nothing that I don't think most evangelical Christians couldn't affirm either (traditional teaching on homosexuality but calling for people not to discriminate against others).
                You are generous with tolerance when you're in charge, not in the middle of a war. It's surrender, plain and simple. The LDS church is crying uncle and begging liberals to leave them alone. They won't, and I don't see why they should. They're winning and the LDS church can't do anything about it. This lesson is of course not limited to the LDS.
                Last edited by Darth Executor; 01-27-2015, 04:31 PM.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Honestly, when I heard the announcement, I was wondering if it was allowing women to the priesthood.
                  That's coming. A new "revelation from God", no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                    "One of the only" is not the same as "the only".
                    Your hair is blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                      You are generous with tolerance when you're in charge, not in the middle of a war. It's surrender, plain and simple. The LDS church is crying uncle and begging liberals to leave them alone. They won't, and I don't see why they should. They're winning and the LDS church can't do anything about it. This lesson is of course not limited to the LDS.
                      Discriminating against homosexual individuals for, say, employment purposes plays into their attempts to define themselves in terms of their sexual preferences, which is foreign to the gospel. If opposing that is your definition of surrender, then hand me a white flag.

In any event, I'm not going to compliment the LDS church for anything. They are a cult, plain and simple.
                      Last edited by KingsGambit; 01-27-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Discriminating against homosexual individuals for, say, employment purposes plays into their attempts to define themselves in terms of their sexual preferences, which is foreign to the gospel. If opposing that is your definition of surrender, then hand me a white flag.

In any event, I'm not going to compliment the LDS church for anything. They are a cult, plain and simple.
                        IMO sexual orientation has no business being brought up in the context of employment.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          IMO sexual orientation has no business being brought up in the context of employment.
                          I agree with this. That was my general interpretation of the type of discrimination the press conference was against; that's why I mentioned it. (Obviously job positions like clergy are an exception to this.)

Comment

Discriminating against homosexual individuals for, say, employment purposes plays into their attempts to define themselves in terms of their sexual preferences
                            Yeah it's amazing how actually fighting them instead of giving them what they want and shrilly demand really plays into their hands.

which is foreign to the gospel.
                            I must have missed the part where the gospel discusses employment discrimination. Also an amusing comment considering the traditional Biblical punishment for gay sex.

If opposing that is your definition of surrender, then hand me a white flag.
                            Pretty sure you already surrendered a long time ago.

Liberalism and Mormonism are both cults, but only one of these cults poses a serious threat to me, and it's not the one with the magic underwear. That you would be so petty as to refuse to compliment them when they're doing what you claim is the right thing just shows how cowardly most Christians have become. You can see a similar phenomenon in Christians who aggressively criticize and protest against Muslims but have nothing but anti-discrimination preaching to direct at anyone who fights some faction of the progressive hegemony, even when the latter are far worse than the former.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Someone should have told that to Brendan Eich.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X