Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Just checking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by just Johnna View Post
    Hi NRA-Jeff, nice to see an familiar TWebber. Hello BTC too!

I'll check in too. I haven't been on the site for a few years now, long enough that I had to sign up again and my old handle was available to pick up again.

Many changes. I got divorced, I went back to school to try and tool up for a career since my BA in Linguistics doesn't immediately suggest employment. Half the kids finished high school and went to college, I got involved in the Divorce and Relationship Recovery ministry out of Menlo Park, California. I married again, someone I've known since we were teens, I moved to another state. We are all doing well.

But, most pertinent to TWeb, I'm no longer Mormon, so sorry, I'm not much use around here. There's been a lot going on in Mormonland lately, I was wondering if you all had comment on it. But, just like the old days, it hasn't come up here unless I bring it up.
    Wow

Inquiring minds, and all that....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hi NRA-Jeff, nice to see an familiar TWebber. Hello BTC too!

I'll check in too. I haven't been on the site for a few years now, long enough that I had to sign up again and my old handle was available to pick up again.

Many changes. I got divorced, I went back to school to try and tool up for a career since my BA in Linguistics doesn't immediately suggest employment. Half the kids finished high school and went to college, I got involved in the Divorce and Relationship Recovery ministry out of Menlo Park, California. I married again, someone I've known since we were teens, I moved to another state. We are all doing well.

But, most pertinent to TWeb, I'm no longer Mormon, so sorry, I'm not much use around here. There's been a lot going on in Mormonland lately, I was wondering if you all had comment on it. But, just like the old days, it hasn't come up here unless I bring it up.
      Wow!! Hey Johnna!! Long time no see.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

There's been a lot going on in Mormonland lately, I was wondering if you all had comment on it. But, just like the old days, it hasn't come up here unless I bring it up.
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Wow

Inquiring minds, and all that....
        Ah, I was thinking of Kate Kelly, Ordain Women, and the essays recently put up on LDS.org.

And, I take it back, you guys did bring up these near when they happened. But, these developments seem to be just an opportunity for the TWebbers to make the same complaints that mormon prophetic leadership doesn't work they way you think it should or doesn't match how it represents itself. From where I am, that's not really any kind of comment about these developments.

But then, I'm not coming from a place of debate, which is the central mission and joy of TWeb. I'm more in a place of processing what my years of being mormon mean to me now, what I still value about those experiences and the dear people I'm in relationship with who are currently actively LDS. How that fits in a Christianity I could currently practice. So, yes, while admittedly not fair to ask TWeb to address that, I still came curiously looking.

Kate Kelly
        http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ating-Opinions
        Ordain Women continues. I was surprised how the discipline of Kate Kelly felt personally hurtful to me. The little church I'm sometimes attending here has a female pastor. I'm working out what all this means.

Essays on Historical Polygamy
        http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...h-wed-40-wives
        At first, I was surprised how many (mormon) people I knew were unaware of the history. Also, I thought myself very familiar with the history, having read things like Todd Compton's _In Sacred Loneliness_. And of course the affidavits. But then, I came to understand how (mormon) people younger than myself wouldn't have come across the history. And, there is something new, at least to me, about discussing Joseph Smith's polygamy (and Utah polygamy, and the manifesto) where the implications are a little starker.

Essay on Historical Racism
        http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...and-Priesthood
        I added my comment to the thread. It's good to have this published. For some commenters in the thread, it's just an occasion to say the LDS church must be false because racism should have been caught sooner and dealt with. For me, it's more personal even if I'm a believer or in the community. I have ties there. Uprooting these hurtful memes will make a difference.

Now I'm off to class. See ya later.
        Last edited by just Johnna; 01-13-2015, 08:12 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Ah, I was thinking of Kate Kelly, Ordain Women, and the essays recently put up on LDS.org.

And, I take it back, you guys did bring up these near when they happened. But, these developments seem to be just an opportunity for the TWebbers to make the same complaints that mormon prophetic leadership doesn't work they way you think it should or doesn't match how it represents itself. From where I am, that's not really any kind of comment about these developments.

But then, I'm not coming from a place of debate, which is the central mission and joy of TWeb. I'm more in a place of processing what my years of being mormon mean to me now, what I still value about those experiences and the dear people I'm in relationship with who are currently actively LDS. How that fits in a Christianity I could currently practice. So, yes, while admittedly not fair to ask TWeb to address that, I still came curiously looking.

Kate Kelly
          http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ating-Opinions
          Ordain Women continues. I was surprised how the discipline of Kate Kelly felt personally hurtful to me. The little church I'm sometimes attending here has a female pastor. I'm working out what all this means.

Essays on Historical Polygamy
          http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...h-wed-40-wives
          At first, I was surprised how many (mormon) people I knew were unaware of the history. Also, I thought myself very familiar with the history, having read things like Todd Compton's _In Sacred Loneliness_. And of course the affidavits. But then, I came to understand how (mormon) people younger than myself wouldn't have come across the history. And, there is something new, at least to me, about discussing Joseph Smith's polygamy (and Utah polygamy, and the manifesto) where the implications are a little starker.

Essay on Historical Racism
          http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...and-Priesthood
          I added my comment to the thread. It's good to have this published. For some commenters in the thread, it's just an occasion to say the LDS church must be false because racism should have been caught sooner and dealt with. For me, it's more personal even if I'm a believer or in the community. I have ties there. Uprooting these hurtful memes will make a difference.

Now I'm off to class. See ya later.
          Thanks! That was a good read!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            We make Sparko back up the backups these days.
            My dog ate 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              My dog ate 'em.
              Feed him a good laxative, and you'll have them back in no time!
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

NRA Jeff spends most of his time on CARM. He loves calling Christians who debate with him "antis." He especially targets young Christians who are confused and may be vulnerable to be brought back into the Mormon cult. This is just an update.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctrine Matters View Post
                  NRA Jeff spends most of his time on CARM. He loves calling Christians who debate with him "antis." He especially targets young Christians who are confused and may be vulnerable to be brought back into the Mormon cult. This is just an update.
                  Jeff has spent quite a bit of time here in the past. We're familiar with his style.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Jeff has spent quite a bit of time here in the past. We're familiar with his style.
                    I actually met Jeff here. I told him he might enjoy posting on CARM. We contact each other every once in a while. He's not a bad guy. Pray for him.

Comment

I actually met Jeff here. I told him he might enjoy posting on CARM. We contact each other every once in a while. He's not a bad guy. Pray for him.
                      I do, when he comes to mind.

sigpic

Comment

NRA Jeff spends most of his time on CARM. He loves calling Christians who debate with him "antis."
                        Yeah, I had never heard that term before, and when I asked him what that was, he thought I was pulling his leg. Got kinda ornery about it, in fact.

He especially targets young Christians who are confused and may be vulnerable to be brought back into the Mormon cult. This is just an update.

Comment

Ever interact with Other Cheek? He passed away not too long ago.

Comment

Ever interact with Other Cheek? He passed away not too long ago.
                            No, I don't recall him. I knew George who was over here, and he's the one who introduced me to CARM. I really think Theologyweb is better since you can actually contact and interact with the mods.

Comment

Yeah, I had never heard that term before, and when I asked him what that was, he thought I was pulling his leg. Got kinda ornery about it, in fact.

It's a common term used by Mormon mopologists when referencing Christians whom they debate. (mopologist - apologists who mop up the doctrinal mess of Mormonism)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkso143807
                                My dog ate 'em.
                                We told you to feed him occasionally. No wonder he ate the sofa again.
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X