Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Can Mormon Missionaries Google?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Mormon Missionaries Google?

Serious question!

I'm wondering if these guys were just being stupid, or if it's only their leadership, or if it's a "Mormon Missionary thing".

I was doing my volunteer work tonight as our Police Chaplain, driving in my patrol vehicle through our parks and neighborhoods. At one of our nice parks - soccer fields, baseball fields, picnic areas - I saw a couple of Mormon missionaries talking to a couple of young black men who were sitting on a picnic table. The table was near the edge of the parking lot, so I just pulled up and jokingly asked the guys on the table, "are these guys bothering you?" (referring, of course, to the Mormons -- OK, I was being a little ornery, and was just kidding)

One of the young men said, "Well, not really, but they're messing up my mind". I shut off my car and got out, and sat on the table with them, and said, "so, where are we?"

One of the Mormons started to explain to me that Joseph Smith was a prophet, just like the "Prophets of Old", and ---- I politely stopped them and said "I'm quite aware of who Joseph Smith was". They looked surprised, and I said "I don't believe he was a prophet, I believe he was a scam artist". They were quite taken back, and started that "so you don't believe that God spoke through prophets" routine, and I said, "no, I absolutely DO believe that God spoke through REAL prophets, but Joseph Smith wasn't one of them."

Long story short, the Mormons were trying to shift the conversation to the Book of Mormon, but I suggested that Christianity hangs on whether or not Jesus was who He said He was, and Mormonism hangs on whether or not Smith was who he said HE was". The young men on the table said, "yeah, that makes sense" and asked me how I knew Smith was a scam.

I asked the Missionaries if they knew anything about the Kinderhook plates, or the Kirtland Bank scandal, or the REAL story behind Smith's death in Carthage jail. The men on the table were curious about that, and the Mormons tried to change the discussion back to the BoM.

The guys on the table asked me where they could find out about what I was talking about, and I said, "just Google kinderhook or kirtland bank...."

I asked the Mormon (who had been doing most of the talking) if he had ever checked into any of those things, "you know, just Google to see what is being said". He told me he wasn't allowed to Google. He said it was a faith destroyer and they (he and his fellow missionary) weren't allowed to use the computer for that.

By this time, the guys on the table had lots of questions, and I guess the missionaries thought it was time to move on, so I sat and talked to the guys on the table for a while, and the Missionaries left their contact info and moved on to other opportunities.

I've been wondering ever since --- is there an official prohibition on Missionaries using computers? OR maybe not doing "research" or Googling things while they're Missionaries? These Mormons seemed quite sincere when they said they weren't allowed to Google.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Who knows? Is it a plus for us that Christianity is not afraid of fact checking and encourages it.? Fundies don't count.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Here's an interesting read on the subject:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...mormon/283467/
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Here's an interesting read on the subject:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...mormon/283467/
        Didn't read it all, but, yeah... it seems to confirm what these guys were claiming. And, apparently, they're not in the "project" to test missionizing by web.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I want to add that I'm curious if I'll get an inquiry from my Lieutenant about interfering with the Mormons' first amendment rights. I can just see the Mormons reporting to their handlers "yeah, this 'cop' showed up and took over our conversation".

A) I was only checking to see if the young men felt they were being unduly harassed.
          2) When they told me "they're messing up my mind", I took that as a plea for help.

After the Mormons left, I found out both these guys "had been" Christians, but had strayed from the faith, and were open to encouragement to return. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but I sincerely doubt they'll turn to Mormonism.

Comment

Mormonism is about controlling the cult and its members. Anything that proves detrimental to that will be quashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Mormonism is about controlling the cult and its members. Anything that proves detrimental to that will be quashed.
              Yeah, I was just surprised to hear them admit that in front of the other guys. OR me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Serious question!

I'm wondering if these guys were just being stupid, or if it's only their leadership, or if it's a "Mormon Missionary thing".

I was doing my volunteer work tonight as our Police Chaplain, driving in my patrol vehicle through our parks and neighborhoods. At one of our nice parks - soccer fields, baseball fields, picnic areas - I saw a couple of Mormon missionaries talking to a couple of young black men who were sitting on a picnic table. The table was near the edge of the parking lot, so I just pulled up and jokingly asked the guys on the table, "are these guys bothering you?" (referring, of course, to the Mormons -- OK, I was being a little ornery, and was just kidding)

One of the young men said, "Well, not really, but they're messing up my mind". I shut off my car and got out, and sat on the table with them, and said, "so, where are we?"

One of the Mormons started to explain to me that Joseph Smith was a prophet, just like the "Prophets of Old", and ---- I politely stopped them and said "I'm quite aware of who Joseph Smith was". They looked surprised, and I said "I don't believe he was a prophet, I believe he was a scam artist". They were quite taken back, and started that "so you don't believe that God spoke through prophets" routine, and I said, "no, I absolutely DO believe that God spoke through REAL prophets, but Joseph Smith wasn't one of them."

Long story short, the Mormons were trying to shift the conversation to the Book of Mormon, but I suggested that Christianity hangs on whether or not Jesus was who He said He was, and Mormonism hangs on whether or not Smith was who he said HE was". The young men on the table said, "yeah, that makes sense" and asked me how I knew Smith was a scam.

I asked the Missionaries if they knew anything about the Kinderhook plates, or the Kirtland Bank scandal, or the REAL story behind Smith's death in Carthage jail. The men on the table were curious about that, and the Mormons tried to change the discussion back to the BoM.

The guys on the table asked me where they could find out about what I was talking about, and I said, "just Google kinderhook or kirtland bank...."

I asked the Mormon (who had been doing most of the talking) if he had ever checked into any of those things, "you know, just Google to see what is being said". He told me he wasn't allowed to Google. He said it was a faith destroyer and they (he and his fellow missionary) weren't allowed to use the computer for that.

By this time, the guys on the table had lots of questions, and I guess the missionaries thought it was time to move on, so I sat and talked to the guys on the table for a while, and the Missionaries left their contact info and moved on to other opportunities.

I've been wondering ever since --- is there an official prohibition on Missionaries using computers? OR maybe not doing "research" or Googling things while they're Missionaries? These Mormons seemed quite sincere when they said they weren't allowed to Google.
                I don't believe the Mormon missionaries are allowed to use the internet while on their "missions." It's a form of mind control.

Comment

Originally posted by Doctrine Matters View Post
                  I don't believe the Mormon missionaries are allowed to use the internet while on their "missions." It's a form of mind control.
                  That appears consistent with what I have found since I started this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    That appears consistent with what I have found since I started this thread.
                    The Mormon missionaries are controlled by very rigid rules. I think they can only speak to parents twice each month. One missionary who came to our home, and with whom I discussed Mormonism was sent back to missionary training. I guess we had him wavering!

Comment

Well, one of the missionaries who visited me was allowed to email me on Mondays. But I figured his email was being read by someone with authority over him, so I didn't challenge his beliefs.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X