Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Food Storage and Disaster Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Storage and Disaster Prep

First, it's no secret that I think Mormonism is way off the mark, and Smith was a fraud.

HOWEVER!!!!

There are SOME things the Mormons do right, and I would be interested in discussing.

They have LONG AGO begun training their members to be self-sufficient, and to prepare for lean times by storing food, by being frugal, and by being economically responsible.

I would appreciate it if we kept it to a POSITIVE discussion (unless you see a legitimate fault with their system ON THIS TOPIC).

Would any of our Mormon friends like to share their own thoughts or experiences on "prepping before prepping was cool"?

(And I reiterate -- this is one area where I truly agree with a Mormon policy or teaching!)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

One observation from my family's experience: If you stock up on a lot canned foods, it's not easy to avoid having some of it outlast its shelf life. There were things that we didn't get around to eating before they had gone bad.

In hindsight, I should have:

--Kept better track of what was soon to expire

--Maybe bought less of the stuff we weren't gonna like enough to eat in time

--Donated more of the soon-to-expire food to a food bank so it could do someone some good
    "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven...." Joseph Smith

Comment

I keep a "bug-out" bag - a backpack filled with emergency items. And I have some canned goods and other long life food in case of emergencies. But just enough for about a week.

My backpack has some water, crank radio/light, knives and leatherman tool, batteries, change of clothes and extra shoes (all stored in plastic), some of my meds, first aid kit, dog food for Taz, and a couple of packs of emergency food.

Comment

Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post
        One observation from my family's experience: If you stock up on a lot canned foods, it's not easy to avoid having some of it outlast its shelf life. There were things that we didn't get around to eating before they had gone bad.

In hindsight, I should have:

--Kept better track of what was soon to expire

--Maybe bought less of the stuff we weren't gonna like enough to eat in time

--Donated more of the soon-to-expire food to a food bank so it could do someone some good
        Thanks, Jeff

Would you mind sharing ... how does a new Member come to learn about this? Seriously... is it in some kind of orientation, or lesson, or just fellow Church Members clue them in....

Are there printed guidelines or online resources?

Thanks
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Thanks, Jeff

Would you mind sharing ... how does a new Member come to learn about this? Seriously... is it in some kind of orientation, or lesson, or just fellow Church Members clue them in....

Are there printed guidelines or online resources? Thanks
          Good questions. There have been pamphlets and a handbook published--"Family Preparedness Manual"--more about overall emergency preparedness than just food storage, but that is Chapter 5--and in the past, we have tried to make sure that every household in the ward received one. We also hold workshops on the subject about every other year, and the Relief Society probably discusses it a lot more frequently. Lately, we have been encouraged to have some ham radio operators in every ward, to help coordinate rescue efforts if a bad disaster occurs that wipes out regular communications.

Here are some resources:

http://survivalcache.com/book-review...edness-manual/

https://www.ldsavow.com/PrepManualGeneral.html

and search hits from the church's website,

http://www.lds.org/search?q=Family+p...s=all&lang=eng

in case that might be helpful. Let me know if you still have questions.

Oh, and thanks to Sparko for reminding me that I need a stash of my Coreg pills in my bugout bag. It would be bad for me to go more than a day without my antihypertensives.
          Last edited by NRA-Jeff; 01-29-2014, 01:18 PM.
          "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven...." Joseph Smith

Comment

oh yeah, Jeff's comment about Ham radio reminded me. My crank radio has am/fm and noaa weather bands and functions as a CB receiver/transmitter too. Pretty nice.

It even has a cell phone (usb) charger on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-XT511-...B+cell+charger

Comment

Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post
              Good questions. There have been pamphlets and a handbook published--"Family Preparedness Manual"--more about overall emergency preparedness than just food storage, but that is Chapter 5--and in the past, we have tried to make sure that every household in the ward received one. We also hold workshops on the subject about every other year, and the Relief Society probably discusses it a lot more frequently. Lately, we have been encouraged to have some ham radio operators in every ward, to help coordinate rescue efforts if a bad disaster occurs that wipes out regular communications.

Here are some resources:

http://survivalcache.com/book-review...edness-manual/

https://www.ldsavow.com/PrepManualGeneral.html

and search hits from the church's website,

http://www.lds.org/search?q=Family+p...s=all&lang=eng

in case that might be helpful. Let me know if you still have questions.

Oh, and thanks to Sparko for reminding me that I need a stash of my Coreg pills in my bugout bag. It would be bad for me to go more than a day without my antihypertensives.
              I'm getting kinder and gentler, Jeff... I noticed the links weren't there, but I waited patiently, and LO AND BEHOLD there they are!!!!

Thanks....

we have a food pantry, and I invested in some of those wireframe -- how do you describe them -- racks where you put the cans of soup in the top, and they roll down until they're filled up with cans, and you take the bottom one out.... It's WAY easier than "rotating stock" manually, and is a pretty dummy-proof "first in first out" system.

I'll look at what you posted, and I may have more questions.

Comment

I'm getting kinder and gentler, Jeff... I noticed the links weren't there, but I waited patiently, and LO AND BEHOLD there they are!!!!
                Yeah, sorry about that.

we have a food pantry, and I invested in some of those wireframe -- how do you describe them -- racks where you put the cans of soup in the top, and they roll down until they're filled up with cans, and you take the bottom one out.... It's WAY easier than "rotating stock" manually, and is a pretty dummy-proof "first in first out" system.
                I wanted those, but my wife said we could build our own for less money, so that's what we did. It took about 20 hours of work, and ours doesn't work as flawlessly as the commercial ones, but it would work fine for us...if we used it like we should. But when we come home from the store with soup or peanut butter or vegetable oil, we don't always go to the trouble of taking it down the basement and loading it into the back of the shelf. So the moral is: A stock rotation system doesn't work so well if you don't actually rotate the stock.

P.S.--Sparko's radio thing looks like a good choice. I had never seen a setup like that before.

Comment

I have been thinking about storing some money too. But in a financial type disaster, paper money would be worthless. Gold would be better, but gold coins are durn expensive and would be hard to break up for spending. What is a good alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    It even has a cell phone (usb) charger on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-XT511-...B+cell+charger
                    That's pretty cool -- how many other models had you tried first?

Comment

That's pretty cool -- how many other models had you tried first?
                      None, but I read up on them and that one was recommended by a lot of people.

If it only had a bacon griddle built in....

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I have been thinking about storing some money too. But in a financial type disaster, paper money would be worthless. Gold would be better, but gold coins are durn expensive and would be hard to break up for spending. What is a good alternative?
                        I can't believe you need to ask that question. Isn't bacon the obvious answer?

It's valuable

It would be widely accepted

It can easily be broken up into smaller pieces

Comment

But bacon wouldn't last long enough for me to spend it!

Comment

The NZ Government has a handy website for disaster preparedness.
                            http://www.getthru.govt.nz/web/GetThru.nsf
                            http://www.getthru.govt.nz/web/GetThru.nsf/vwluResources/Emergency_checklist_10/$file/Emergency_checklist_10.pdf
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

The CDC has a nice web page on Zombie preparedness. You never know.

http://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombies.htm

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X