Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mormon Defectors are like Judas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mormon Defectors are like Judas?

Source: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/joseph-smith?lang=eng

Many of those who dismiss the work of the Restoration simply do not believe that heavenly beings speak to men on earth. Impossible, they say, that golden plates were delivered by an angel and translated by the power of God. From that disbelief, they quickly reject Joseph’s testimony, and a few unfortunately sink to discrediting the Prophet’s life and slandering his character.

We are especially saddened when someone who once revered Joseph retreats from his or her conviction and then maligns the Prophet.

“Studying the Church … through the eyes of its defectors,” Elder Neal A. Maxwell once said, is “like interviewing Judas to understand Jesus. Defectors always tell us more about themselves than about that from which they have departed.”

... You may understandably question what you hear on the news, but you need never doubt the testimony of God’s prophets.

© Copyright Original Source

Boy, the brainwashing is in full flow here...
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Yeah. Like leaving a cult is the same thing as selling out Jesus to get killed.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

The problem is, of course, if they really DO hear directly from God, then there is no excuses left for the errors their prophets made, and God would not keep changing his mind about things from one time to another, like "do Polygamy" and "Polygamy is an abomination" or "Blacks are the the curse of Cain and can't be priests" and "Of course blacks can be priests, there is no mark of cain upon them"

Comment

Wow.....

But that's how my friends who left the Mormon Church in NW Houston feel.... some of their VERY CLOSE (former) friends won't even speak to them, or even LOOK at them when they run into each other at the grocery store or wherever.

And these were very FAITHFUL Mormons who got discouraged over the lies the leadership was telling about the purchase of property for the Temple -- not even anything having to do with their doctrine.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          The problem is, of course, if they really DO hear directly from God, then there is no excuses left for the errors their prophets made, and God would not keep changing his mind about things from one time to another, like "do Polygamy" and "Polygamy is an abomination" or "Blacks are the the curse of Cain and can't be priests" and "Of course blacks can be priests, there is no mark of cain upon them"
          Yeah, ALWAYS TRUST our prophets, for they hear directly from God, except, of course, when they're proven wrong, in which case WE will throw them under the bus with all the REAL prophets we have ALREADY thrown under the bus!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Wow.....

But that's how my friends who left the Mormon Church in NW Houston feel.... some of their VERY CLOSE (former) friends won't even speak to them, or even LOOK at them when they run into each other at the grocery store or wherever.

And these were very FAITHFUL Mormons who got discouraged over the lies the leadership was telling about the purchase of property for the Temple -- not even anything having to do with their doctrine.
            Isn't shunning people that leave one of the signs of a cult?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Isn't shunning people that leave one of the signs of a cult?
              Yeah, but it goes beyond this... the guy (let's call him John) was in real estate, and had some deals working with several families in their Church. They all informed John that he no longer represents them. ONE of the families actually told John, "I'm really sorry, I had no choice".

Comment

Yeah, but it goes beyond this... the guy (let's call him John) was in real estate, and had some deals working with several families in their Church. They all informed John that he no longer represents them. ONE of the families actually told John, "I'm really sorry, I had no choice".
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  I haven't talked to him in about 6 months.... this is a good reminder for me to follow up with him. He said it was like "getting fired from my job, divorced, losing all my best friends and kicked out of my Church all at once". (not an ACTUAL divorce - he and his wife are sickeningly in love. He meant like in a nasty divorce where "everybody blames you", and they stay away)

Gonna make an effort to have fish tacos with him this next week!

Comment

That's some serious shunning. It broke the shun-o-meter!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      That's some serious shunning. It broke the shun-o-meter!
                      tumblr_lj9660U8JD1qalnkao1_500.jpg
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]2725[/ATTACH]

Comment

I don't think this Mormon treatment of defectors is something that Christians have room to condemn. After all, in 1 John, John calls Christian apostates antichrists. It's a searing indictment of them.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I don't think this Mormon treatment of defectors is something that Christians have room to condemn. After all, in 1 John, John calls Christian apostates antichrists. It's a searing indictment of them.
                            He doesn't necessarily say to have nothing to do with them, though (unless they begin teaching falsely. At least that's how I always read 2 John 9).
                            O Gladsome Light of the Holy Glory of the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Holy, Blessed Jesus Christ! Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening, we praise God Father, Son and Holy Spirit. For meet it is at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise. O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee.

A neat video of dead languages!

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Denying Christ is nowhere near the same as denying Joseph Smith. One can leave the Mormon church, condemn their doctrines, yet still be convinced that Jesus is the Christ, so there is no true comparison.
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X