Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

LDS Church: Mormon founder Joseph Smith wed 40 wives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS Church: Mormon founder Joseph Smith wed 40 wives

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/11/living/mormon-founder-polygamy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- The founder of the Mormon church, Joseph Smith, wed as many as 40 wives, including some who were already married and one as young as 14 years old, the church acknowledged in a surprising new essay.

Smith's marital history had been the subject of frequent historical debate, but until recently Mormon leaders had taken pains to present its founding prophet as happily married to one woman. Now, the church says, "careful estimates put the number between 30 and 40."

The church, officially called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, disavowed plural marriage in 1890 under pressure from the U.S. government, which had imprisoned polygamists and seized their assets.

© Copyright Original Source

That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

and at least one was only 14.

But it was for their own good, I am sure.

Comment

I get the idea that LDS leadership is coming to realize that trying to hide this sort of thing is hurting more than it's helping. This comes right on the heels of their coming clean about Mormon underwear.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yup, like maybe if they admit what we already know, we'll leave them alone? Will they next admit that they stole the "Temple Ceremony" from the Masons?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The scary thing is that many of their own members don't know all of this crazy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
            Source: http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/11/living/mormon-founder-polygamy/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- The founder of the Mormon church, Joseph Smith, wed as many as 40 wives, including some who were already married and one as young as 14 years old, the church acknowledged in a surprising new essay.

Smith's marital history had been the subject of frequent historical debate, but until recently Mormon leaders had taken pains to present its founding prophet as happily married to one woman. Now, the church says, "careful estimates put the number between 30 and 40."

The church, officially called the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, disavowed plural marriage in 1890 under pressure from the U.S. government, which had imprisoned polygamists and seized their assets.

Here is the official church statement about plural wives in the time when Joseph Smith and other early church members performed plural marriages.

https://www.lds.org/topics/plural-ma...auvoo?lang=eng

-7up

Comment

Originally posted by seven7up View Post
              Here is the official church statement about plural wives in the time when Joseph Smith and other early church members performed plural marriages.

-7up

Doesn't change the point of BTC's OP at all -- your Church is being forced to "fess up".

Eventually, it's possibly YOU will even be led to the truth.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

-7up
                Here is Joseph's "Address of the Prophet—His Testimony Against the Dissenters at Nauvoo." on his marital situation:

Source: https://byustudies.byu.edu/hc/hcpgs/hc.aspx

What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one.

So, he declared, one month before he died, that he only had one wife.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The LDS apologists like to claim that God allowed and then disallowed plural marriage at different times.

Yet their own scripture shows that during a time when the Hebrews practiced plural marriage (the OT) God said it was an abomination to him.

Jacob 2: 24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.
                  26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.
                  27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;
                  28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.

for something that God simply allowed and disallowed depending on his purposes, using words like "whoredoms" and "abomination" seem pretty strong, especially since this was supposedly happening during a time when God supposedly allowed plural marriages.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Here is Joseph's "Address of the Prophet—His Testimony Against the Dissenters at Nauvoo." on his marital situation:

Source: https://byustudies.byu.edu/hc/hcpgs/hc.aspx

What a thing it is for a man to be accused of committing adultery, and having seven wives, when I can only find one.

So, he declared, one month before he died, that he only had one wife.
                    He said he could only FIND one ---- the others ran away in repulsion!

Comment

-7up
                      I noticed that according to this statement that Smith "told associates that an angel appeared to him three times between 1834 and 1842 and commanded him to proceed with plural marriage when he hesitated to move forward. During the third and final appearance, the angel came with a drawn sword, threatening Joseph with destruction unless he went forward and obeyed the commandment fully."

So an angel made him do it.

Whenever some cult leader wants to do something that everyone knows is wrong they always employ the same excuse: they were commanded to do so either by God or one of His messengers.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        The scary thing is that many of their own members don't know all of this crazy stuff.
                        Perhaps explaining this

Source: Mormon Church Admits Founder Joseph Smith Had Up To 40 Wives

Reiss says that approach can be harmful to some Mormons. "If you don't find out about those controversial things at church ... instead you find out about it in a late-night Google search when you're at home alone, scratching your head, thinking why in the world did no one ever tell me this, then everything else is called into question as well."

Mormon church historian Elder Steven E. Snow agrees with that idea. He told the New York Times:

" 'There is so much out there on the Internet that we felt we owed our members a safe place where they could go to get reliable, faith-promoting information that was true about some of these more difficult aspects of our history.

" 'We need to be truthful, and we need to understand our history,' Elder Snow said. 'I believe our history is full of stories of faith and devotion and sacrifice, but these people weren't perfect.' "

Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I noticed that according to this statement that Smith "told associates that an angel appeared to him three times between 1834 and 1842 and commanded him to proceed with plural marriage when he hesitated to move forward. During the third and final appearance, the angel came with a drawn sword, threatening Joseph with destruction unless he went forward and obeyed the commandment fully."

Whenever some cult leader wants to do something that everyone knows is wrong they always employ the same excuse: they were commanded to do so either by God or one of His messengers.
                          Mormons sure have MEAN angels --- I wonder if that's the same one that would have destroyed Emma if she hadn't gone along with Smith's perversions.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I'm trying to think of ANYWHERE ELSE in the Bible where an angel threatens to destroy an otherwise obedient follower. Smith was supposedly God's agent, and Emma was his faithful wife.

Comment

I've been reading the responses to this on a Mormon forum. There's at least one person who still insists that Smith wasn't a polygamist. Many seem to chalk up Smith's denials of polygamy to either his being human or to having to keep it secret, even from the church at large, due to persecution (particularly from people who left the church).

Polygamy is a frequent topic there. It breaks my heart that 1) there are several LDS who are asking really good questions* about this and other topics, but they still believe and 2) there are people who have the right attitude, if you will, of being committed to God no matter what, but they use this to defend JS and polygamy.

*Someone even pointed out that one of the things that bothers them is how many cult leaders institute polygamy within their cults.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X