Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

FORGET what Mormon "Prophets" said, says a Mormon leader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FORGET what Mormon "Prophets" said, says a Mormon leader

BTC quoted this in another thread, and I thought I'd check out the context, to see if it's as damning as it appears. Here's the quote where Bill is citing some sources concerning the "blacks in the priesthood" issue....

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    •1978: Bruce R. McConkie, in an address to CES employees entitled, "All are alike unto god", states:
    “Forget everything that I have said, or what President Brigham Young or President George Q. Cannon or whomsoever has said in days past that is contrary to the present revelation. We spoke with a limited understanding and without the light and knowledge that now has come into the world. We get our truth and our light line upon line and precept upon precept. We have now had added a new flood of intelligence and light on this particular subject, and it erases all the darkness and all the views and all the thoughts of the past. They don't matter any more.”
    So, on the BYU.edu website, I found the fuller context from McConkie's speech in August, 1978: (bolding mine)

Source: BYU.edu

We have read these passages and their associated passages for many years. We have seen what the words say and have said to ourselves, “Yes, it says that, but we must read out of it the taking of the gospel and the blessings of the temple to the Negro people, because they are denied certain things.” There are statements in our literature by the early Brethren which we have interpreted to mean that the Negroes would not receive the priesthood in mortality. I have said the same things, and people write me letters and say, “You said such and such, and how is it now that we do such and such?” And all I can say to that is that it is time disbelieving people repented and got in line and believed in a living, modern prophet. Forget everything that I have said, or what President Brigham Young or President George Q. Cannon or whomsoever has said in days past that is contrary to the present revelation. We spoke with a limited understanding and without the light and knowledge that now has come into the world.

© Copyright Original Source

What surprised me (it shouldn't have) was what McConkie said PRIOR to "Forget everything that I have said...."

In answer to letters from people asking why the inconsistency, McConkie's answer was essentially -- "don't believe what we said when we said what we did because we were modern living prophets --- believe what we say NOW, even though it directly contradicts...."

He calls them "disbelieving people", and tells them to repent and "get in line" and "believe us NOW". WOW! What an arrogant #%#!!!!! And, of course, they hide behind the "line upon line, precept upon precept" principle of God's Word.

I can't make this stuff up!!!! Why, if 7up was here, I'd PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE* for McConkie's "Wizard of Oz" routine!!!!!!

*just a little jab at 7up for his violent streak -- I would no more punch him in the face than I'd donate money to Obama's campaign!

And, for the record, yes -- this is full MOCKING mode of McConkie's idiocy!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So...."I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is NOT what I meant... so repent and believe and understand me now when I say what I want you to believe"?
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        So...."I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is NOT what I meant... so repent and believe and understand me now when I say what I want you to believe"?
        IF you want to be a good Mormon -- otherwise you're pond scum.

Comment

bus11.jpg
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So if God kept the LDS church in "darkness" about this matter for over 100 years until he suddenly opened their eyes and revealed they should do a 180...

1. Why did God deceive them on the matter for so long? Earlier prophets and writings clearly say that the doctrine against negroes (and indians) was from God.

2. What else is God currently keeping from them or deceiving them about? Homosexuality? Beastiality? How do they know he won't suddenly reveal that homosexuality is acceptable and not a sin? Or that mormons should marry their sheep?

3. How can ANYTHING an LDS prophet claims be trusted if it can just be changed later, and to such an extent that is it the exact opposite of what is taught now?

Comment

Deh. I read up on Papal infallibility one time. It amounts to the same thing, just a bit more complexificationed.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                Deh. I read up on Papal infallibility one time. It amounts to the same thing, just a bit more complexificationed.
                Yeah, but the Catholic Church was the only TRUE Church until the Mormon Church came along, and now the Mormon church is even TRUERER! Even the Pope will have to have Smith's permission to enter Heaven.

"Joseph Smith holds the keys of this last dispensation, and is now engaged behind the vail in the great work of the last days. I can tell our beloved brother Christians who have slain the Prophets and butchered and otherwise caused the death of thousands of Latter-day Saints, the priests who have thanked God in their prayers and thanksgiving from the pulpit that we have been plundered, driven, and slain, and the deacons under the pulpit, and their brethren and sisters in their closets, who have thanked God, thinking that the Latter-day Saints were wasted away, something that no doubt will mortify them—something that, to say the least, is a matter of deep regret to them—namely, that no man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith."
                Brigham Young
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-05-2014, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Yeah, but the Catholic Church was the only TRUE Church, until the Mormon Church came along, and now it's even TRUER! Even the Pope will have to have Smith's permission to enter Heaven.

"Joseph Smith holds the keys of this last dispensation, and is now engaged behind the vail in the great work of the last days. I can tell our beloved brother Christians who have slain the Prophets and butchered and otherwise caused the death of thousands of Latter-day Saints, the priests who have thanked God in their prayers and thanksgiving from the pulpit that we have been plundered, driven, and slain, and the deacons under the pulpit, and their brethren and sisters in their closets, who have thanked God, thinking that the Latter-day Saints were wasted away, something that no doubt will mortify them—something that, to say the least, is a matter of deep regret to them—namely, that no man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith."
                  and he will be checking passports!

From the day that the Priesthood was taken from the earth to the winding-up scene of all things, every man and woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith, junior, as a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ are—I with you and you with me.

--Brigham Young

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Yeah, but the Catholic Church was the only TRUE Church until the Mormon Church came along, and now the Mormon church is even TRUERER! Even the Pope will have to have Smith's permission to enter Heaven.

Brigham Young
                    How many denominations all up have made the same claim. There must be a lot of heavens to choose between.
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      How many denominations all up have made the same claim. There must be a lot of heavens to choose between.
                      That may be why I enjoy NOT making that claim. And some of my Baptist friends have said, "I think you'll be surprised who makes it to Heaven, and maybe MORE surprised by those who don't." I like the definition "All of the redeemed through all of the ages".

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X