Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The LDS church's most recent stance on Blacks and Priesthood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The LDS church's most recent stance on Blacks and Priesthood

According to a recent LDS publication, there was never any reason that blacks were denied the priesthood other than the racist holdings of the founding leaders of the church.

Originally posted by https://www.lds.org/topics/race-and-the-priesthood?lang=eng
    Today, the Church disavows the theories advanced in the past that black skin is a sign of divine disfavor or curse, or that it reflects actions in a premortal life; that mixed-race marriages are a sin; or that blacks or people of any other race or ethnicity are inferior in any way to anyone else. Church leaders today unequivocally condemn all racism, past and present, in any form.
    I am continually amazed at the ever-changing histrionics asserted by the LDS church.
    The last Christian left at tweb

Originally posted by Trout View Post
    According to a recent LDS publication, there was never any reason that blacks were denied the priesthood other than the racist holdings of the founding leaders of the church.

I am continually amazed at the ever-changing histrionics asserted by the LDS church.
    so much for having a direct hotline to God through their Prophet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      so much for having a direct hotline to God through their Prophet.
      Right! Who makes up this stuff?

Comment

Right! Who makes up this stuff?
        Obviously the LDS leaders do, and they justify it by claiming that they have the true religion and that God speaks directly to their prophet. Unless they change their mind later, like about blacks, or polygamy, etc. Then they claim that the prophet was just speaking as a man and not for God after all.

Like the church lady says: How conveeeeenient.

You would expect that if the Prophet really did have a connection with God, that God would bother to correct him when he mispoke as a "man", wouldn't you?

Comment

Historical Revisionism at its finest!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I can't wait till the LDS church says Gay Marriage is OK and what "explanation" they come up for that one.

Comment

It's so much better just to say "yeah, we were a bunch of racist bigots, but we realize we were wrong, and need to make things right".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                It's so much better just to say "yeah, we were a bunch of racist bigots, but we realize we were wrong, and need to make things right".
                That would be awesome except for the fact that the prophets claimed that black skin was a curse from God.

Comment

That would be awesome except for the fact that the prophets claimed that black skin was a curse from God.
                  Yeah, I know ... us Southern Baptists didn't claim a theological reason* -- we were just mean ugly bigots. We were just wrong.

*there were, of course, some congregations who DID preach "the mark" theology, but it was not our official position, and did not come from "leadership".

Comment

That was back when they were all white and delightsome.

Comment

Originally posted by Brigham Young
                      Cain slew his brother . . . and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin. . . . How long is that race to endure the dreadful curse that is upon them? That curse will remain upon them, and they never can hold the Priesthood or share in it until all the other descendants of Adam have received the promises and enjoyed the blessings of the Priesthood and the keys thereof.
                      It reads like a beatitude.

Comment

I can't wait till the LDS church says Gay Marriage is OK and what "explanation" they come up for that one.
                        I had that very conversation with an LDS friend of mine. He didn't seem to think there was much chance of it happening. But he wouldn't be that upset/surprised if it did.

Comment

I bet they said the same thing about polygamy. The LDS church is notorious for giving in to peer pressure from society and then making up some excuse as to why it was God's will in the first place.

Comment

I bet they said the same thing about polygamy. The LDS church is notorious for giving in to peer pressure from society and then making up some excuse as to why it was God's will in the first place.
                            My all time favorite was the "revelation" to Joseph Smith that his dear sweet wife would be destroyed if she didn't stop protesting his alliances with other women.

Comment

I always like the story of the 116 missing pages that Lucy Harris stole, and Smith's subsequent revelation that God would not re-dictate those pages to him. LOL.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X