Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The LDS church's most recent stance on Blacks and Priesthood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always respected God too much try to "get stuff" by claiming He told me to do it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I can't wait till the LDS church says Gay Marriage is OK and what "explanation" they come up for that one.
      And how eternal marriage and spiritual procreation will work...
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        And how eternal marriage and spiritual procreation will work...
        My favorite part of that is the "cancellation ceremony" to end "eternal" sealings, and the unanswered question of who the children of these "eternally sealed" cancelled marriages belong to in Heaven.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I always like the story of the 116 missing pages that Lucy Harris stole, and Smith's subsequent revelation that God would not re-dictate those pages to him. LOL.
          Sandra Tanner calls it, "The Black Hole"
          The last Christian left at tweb

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            My favorite part of that is the "cancellation ceremony" to end "eternal" sealings, and the unanswered question of who the children of these "eternally sealed" cancelled marriages belong to in Heaven.
            That's another thing... Heavenly Father must have been the only one of his entire mortal family to believe in his mortality, because he has no children sealed to him and heavenly mom from the prior existence.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
              Sandra Tanner calls it, "The Black Hole"
              I remember an article of that name from wayback on Tweb. It was good reading.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

That was back when they were all white and delightsome.
                I have an older book of mormon that has this in it.

Comment

(Let's see if I can match your mocking behavior.)

LOL. I have some good ones for you.

How about when God was going to kill Moses , let's see how Moses got out of that one.

Exodus 4:24-26
                  24 And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the Lord met him, and sought to kill him.
                  25 Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.
                  26 So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision.

How about when Eliseus was traveling to Bethel when some children made fun of him for being bald. Eliseus cursing them to God, who sent two bears to maul the children to death.

And he went up from thence to Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, little boys came out of the city and mocked him, saying: Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. [24] And looking back, he saw them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord: and there came forth two bears out of the forest, and tore of them two and forty boys. ( 4 Kings 2:23-24)

Hah!

I already mentioned on the other thread how God would not allow the priesthood to be held by people with blemishes or handicapped people. God must be against handicapped people right. (Leviticus 21:17-24)

Oh, this one his Hilarious,

God drowned every single person on the planet besides Noah and his family after making him build a big boat and somehow crammed every kind of animal inside.

Oh, don't forget that he also helped the Israelites murder everyone in Jericho, Heshbon, Bashan and many more, often killing women, children and animals at the same time.

Good one right? Let's see here, what about this one:

God doesn't like this guy named Er, so then he kills him. Onan's dad orders Onan to have unmarried sex with Er's wife. She had two children with Er already, but maybe wanted another one. Onan spills his seed, so then God kills him, too. (Genesis 38:1-10) Classic!

When Samson was married, he was given 30 friends, and he gave them a riddle. Then he made a wager to see if they could answer it in a week, and the prize for either side was new clothing. Samson's wife ended up getting the answer out of him. When Samson was supposed to repay the debt, God gave Samson the power through God's spirit to kill them all:

And the Spirit of the Lord came upon him, and he went down to Ashkelon, and slew thirty men of them, and took their spoil, and gave change of garments unto them which expounded the riddle. (see Judges 14:1-19)

Wow. You are right guys. Mocking religion is really fun and awesome. Thanks for inspiring me how.

-7up

Comment

Yeah, I know ... us Southern Baptists didn't claim a theological reason* -- we were just mean ugly bigots. We were just wrong.

*there were, of course, some congregations who DID preach "the mark" theology, but it was not our official position, and did not come from "leadership".
                    Dr. Benjamin M. Palmer from the Presbyterian church was pretty significant. All of it was based on an interpretation of Genesis 9:18-27:

It was from these similar precursors where Brigham Young got his views prior to even becoming a Mormon. Unfortunately, he brought those views into the LDS church with him, "Cain slew his brother . . . and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin. . . ." ( -Brigham Young)

-7up

Comment

Originally posted by seven7up View Post

How about when God was going to kill Moses , let's see how Moses got out of that one.

Exodus 4:24-26
                      24 And it came to pass by the way in the inn, that the Lord met him, and sought to kill him.
                      25 Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.
                      26 So he let him go: then she said, A bloody husband thou art, because of the circumcision.

How about when Eliseus was traveling to Bethel when some children made fun of him for being bald. Eliseus cursing them to God, who sent two bears to maul the children to death.

And he went up from thence to Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, little boys came out of the city and mocked him, saying: Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. [24] And looking back, he saw them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord: and there came forth two bears out of the forest, and tore of them two and forty boys. ( 4 Kings 2:23-24)

Hah!

I already mentioned on the other thread how God would not allow the priesthood to be held by people with blemishes or handicapped people. God must be against handicapped people right. (Leviticus 21:17-24)

Oh, this one his Hilarious,

God drowned every single person on the planet besides Noah and his family after making him build a big boat and somehow crammed every kind of animal inside.

Oh, don't forget that he also helped the Israelites murder everyone in Jericho, Heshbon, Bashan and many more, often killing women, children and animals at the same time.

Good one right? Let's see here, what about this one:

God doesn't like this guy named Er, so then he kills him. Onan's dad orders Onan to have unmarried sex with Er's wife. She had two children with Er already, but maybe wanted another one. Onan spills his seed, so then God kills him, too. (Genesis 38:1-10) Classic!

When Samson was married, he was given 30 friends, and he gave them a riddle. Then he made a wager to see if they could answer it in a week, and the prize for either side was new clothing. Samson's wife ended up getting the answer out of him. When Samson was supposed to repay the debt, God gave Samson the power through God's spirit to kill them all:

And the Spirit of the Lord came upon him, and he went down to Ashkelon, and slew thirty men of them, and took their spoil, and gave change of garments unto them which expounded the riddle. (see Judges 14:1-19)

Wow. You are right guys. Mocking religion is really fun and awesome. Thanks for inspiring me how.

-7up
                      IOW, you don't have any answers, so you'll make a lame attempt at mocking the Old Testament? I don't get it.

And from your next post, who is "Dr. Benjamin M. Palmer from the Presbyterian church"? Is he supposed to be some sort of authority figure for Presbyterians, let alone Christians in general?
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Which proves you're not here to defend your faith, but to whine and pitch fits and play games. GEE, I miss BrotherAardvark!

Comment

Dr. Benjamin M. Palmer from the Presbyterian church was pretty significant. All of it was based on an interpretation of Genesis 9:18-27:
                          I won't attempt to answer for the Presbyterians.

It was from these similar precursors where Brigham Young got his views prior to even becoming a Mormon. Unfortunately, he brought those views into the LDS church with him, "Cain slew his brother . . . and the Lord put a mark upon him, which is the flat nose and black skin. . . ." ( -Brigham Young)

-7up
                          So, the Mormon God was incapable of overriding BY's bigotry in clearing the deck? Perhaps the same thing happened with Smith and his lust for women? And, apparently, you're so embarrassed by the quote, you didn't even complete it.

Comment

So, the Mormon God was incapable of overriding BY's bigotry in clearing the deck?
                            The Christian God didn't step in during the crusades, or the inquisition, or slavery, or bigotry?

I won't attempt to answer for the Presbyterians.
                            That's the nice thing about being an Evangelical. You can always ride in on a different denomination, or a new denomination or non-denomination.

Which proves you're not here to defend your faith, but to whine and pitch fits and play games.
                            I am only playing the same game that you have been playing all along.

Are you going to explain why the Spirit of the Lord came upon Samson in order to slaughter those people? I'm waiting.

-7up
                            Last edited by seven7up; 08-10-2014, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              IOW, you don't have any answers, so you'll make a lame attempt at mocking the Old Testament? I don't get it.

The mocking IS lame.

It looks like you DO get it after all.

Just to make it interesting. Why don't you go through my list and try to explain these difficult passages of scripture, then I will continue mocking you throughout. Let's see how you like that.

-7up

Comment

Zero score for reading comprehension, Zero score for failure to understand what marriage is in terms of the Genesis record.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X