Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hey 7up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kind Debater View Post
    7up,

1. Do you understand that what you said to CP on the "Since MAN can become God" thread came off as a direct insult? Do you agree that given that it came off that way, it was wrong for you to say those things?
    Yes. I do admit that. Do you realize that even though you know and admit that these same folks were directly insulting me AND mocking my religion, you did not care about it until you felt that I crossed the line. Only then were you all about the "intervention".

2. I mean this in the best possible way and with all due respect. Have you ever been evaluated for Asperger's or autism? If not, do you often run into arguments because you've misunderstood what someone else has said or they've misunderstood what you've said?
    No. I have not had that issue at all.

3. You didn't respond to this: I understand being busy and not having time to respond, but if you're going to be on here and we're going to be debating, can you at least pick one of a) reading all the thread titles when you visit, b) turning on email notification for PMs or c) sending me your email address?
    I believe that my email notification is on. I just have not kept up with either the threads or the e-mails.

-7up

Comment

Originally posted by seven7up View Post
      Nick was wise enough to admit that Ex Nihilo was an essential part of his theology from the beginning. Nick was willing to consider the possibility that his theology may be incorrect. With his philosophical background, he "gets it".
      As do I. If God were to actually reveal to a real prophet, and no, not the false ones of your religion, that something besides Him was eternal, and that was what He used to create the universe, I would have no problem because Jesus Christ is still exactly who He said He was and He did exactly what scripture says He did.

You were rude, mocking and sarcastic, from the very beginning Bill.
      I suggest you learn how to use the wayback machine and review your initial colossal arrogance before the crash.

On probably the oldest thread going in the forum, "The Mormon Trinity" thread, your very first comment about me was:

Then your next post includes beautiful vocabulary like "crappy bastardization" , "Rubbish", then you said that my arguments were equal to "whining".
      Which was an after effect of your conduct on the old server before the crash. On our first thread, you basically accused me of being incapable of conversing on your level about ex nihilo creation. So, I invited you into a thread in Nick's area, in which you were so smug, Nick withdrew from the conversation because of your derision.

This was way back in May of this year, when I just started posting after the crash. Then, since everything previous was lost, I was drawing up my issues with the concept of Ex Nihilo creation. On this topic, instead of the addressing my arguments, you again simply say that I am "whining" rather than discuss the issues being brought up:

-7up
      Because I had already addressed them, and reduced your argument to exactly that, which you admitted before the crash. Your main problem with Ex Nihilo is that "God can do better, so He should do better". I was not about to rehash for months the same ground we had trodden for months prior to the crash.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yes. I do admit that. Do you realize that even though you know and admit that these same folks were directly insulting me AND mocking my religion, you did not care about it until you felt that I crossed the line. Only then were you all about the "intervention".
        I'm beginning to think you may not have the mental capacity or moral integrity to understand the difference between arguing against a false religion and making goofy false accusations against opponents of said false religion.

I'm also beginning to think you hate the opponents of your false religion more than you love your own beliefs.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Kind Debater
          Do you understand that what you said to CP on the "Since MAN can become God" thread came off as a direct insult? Do you agree that given that it came off that way, it was wrong for you to say those things?
          Yes. I do admit that.
          Okay.

Do you realize that even though you know and admit that these same folks were directly insulting me AND mocking my religion, you did not care about it until you felt that I crossed the line. Only then were you all about the "intervention".
          Yes, you were the one I called out, but not because I didn't care about what the others were doing.

The reason I called you out is because, as I said before, you were being blatantly hypocritical and you were making personal attacks on a level that no one else had done. Everyone, me included, is a hypocrite to some extent, so I try to overlook general hypocrisy. But when you were complaining about people's treatment of you and then you treated them far worse and didn't apologize for it, I felt the need to call you out on it. Plus, the way you responded to on the "Hiding behind 'Sacred'" thread and this thread raised some red flags for me, and since I'm interacting with you directly I wanted to figure out if I needed to keep those flags up or not.

The reason I didn't call the others out directly -- though I did state that the personal insults of you were wrong -- is because they weren't being blatantly hypocritical (e.g. no one here is complaining about your calling Trinitarianism silly) and I knew it wouldn't do any good. See for instance my exchange with Bill on the "Hiding behind 'Sacred'" thread.

People here tend to take the attitude of J.P. Holding that mocking non-Christians and their attacks on Christianity is perfectly fine, because (according to them) it demonstrates to onlookers, particularly Christians with weaker faith who might be persuaded by skeptics or evangelists for other faiths, that they don't need to take these people or their attacks seriously. They defend this as Biblical because of the precedent of Elijah's mocking the priests of Baal. Obviously I disagree; that's one reason why I changed my username to "Kind Debater". My best online friend used to be here several years ago and left because of the culture, and IIRC he said that he and/or others had tried to change things but ended up being frustrated.

While I disagree with the general culture here, there really aren't very many places where LDS and non-LDS can have open debates. As I said earlier, the LDS-run forums don't allow truly open debate. I joined a Facebook group but FB is a really clumsy format for true intellectual debate. So I'm here.

I believe that my email notification is on. I just have not kept up with either the threads or the e-mails.
          Email notification for private messages is a separate setting. You have to go to "Settings" and then select "General Settings" under "My Account", and there's an option there for notification of new private messages.

Comment

The way I look at it is like this: If 7up wants to mock me or my religion, then fine, I don't bruise easily and I can defend my religion. This is a debate board. But at least have the integrity not to whine about it happening to him, as if he is the victim and is somehow taking the high road. Just own it 7up and move on.

Comment

Actually, back when OtherCheek was here, I think there was a thread on being nicer to each other, and people were nicer for a while.

Comment

Actually, back when OtherCheek was here, I think there was a thread on being nicer to each other, and people were nicer for a while.
                I take different approaches with different people. For instance, Russian Wolf, NRAJeff, Other Cheek, and several others I am/was typically very cordial to, and I usually stick to discussing doctrines. 7Up, LDSTrue, and a very few others usually get derision from me for their pompous attitudes or repeated misrepresenting both Mormon and Christian beliefs.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  7Up, LDSTrue, and a very few others usually get derision from me for their pompous attitudes or repeated misrepresenting both Mormon and Christian beliefs.
                  I suspected as much (that you were treating 7up as you did because of his arrogance). But what result are you hoping for by doing that? Are you assuming that people who are arrogant and/or misrepresenting things are not going to change regardless of what you say, and therefore you might as well deride them?

Comment

I suspected as much (that you were treating 7up as you did because of his arrogance). But what result are you hoping for by doing that? Are you assuming that people who are arrogant and/or misrepresenting things are not going to change regardless of what you say, and therefore you might as well deride them?
                    Yes. That about sums it up.
                    That's what
                    - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I believe I was the instigator of said niceness.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I believe I was the instigator
                        Why would you gift your brother with a statement like that?
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Because I luz him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            I never noticed the first part being in shock over his claim of "niceness." I was gonna shout ECREE!!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              The way I look at it is like this: If 7up wants to mock me or my religion, then fine, I don't bruise easily and I can defend my religion. This is a debate board. But at least have the integrity not to whine about it happening to him, as if he is the victim and is somehow taking the high road. Just own it 7up and move on.
                              The idea that motherhood and being a "stay at home mom" is under attack by modern society should be a well known concept even in Evangelical Christianity, where many of you hail from.

The fact that you all would stoop to the level of mocking motherhood in that way in an attempt to mock Mormonism (and the idea of a Heavenly mother) simply shows me how bent you are against my religion. Why waste my time talking to people like that?

-7up

Comment

The idea that motherhood and being a "stay at home mom" is under attack by modern society should be a well known concept even in Evangelical Christianity, where many of you hail from.

The fact that you all would stoop to the level of mocking motherhood in that way in an attempt to mock Mormonism (and the idea of a Heavenly mother) simply shows me how bent you are against my religion. Why waste my time talking to people like that?

-7up

We're not mocking MOTHERHOOD --- it's GOOFY, childish and dishonest for you to make that claim. Please do your best to show where we're actually mocking MOTHERHOOD with a DIRECT QUOTE, or stop this dishonest charade.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X