Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hiding Behind "Sacred"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Which is MY doing, by the way. When I first became a mod, I worked with 2 very nice Mormon fellows (one of which I just had lunch with a week ago), and I sought their opinion on whether or not to allow discussion of the temple rituals and specifics. I persuaded the former owners that it should not be discussed in specifics here, and they agreed.
    And I'm totally good with that!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which is MY doing, by the way. When I first became a mod, I worked with 2 very nice Mormon fellows (one of which I just had lunch with a week ago), and I sought their opinion on whether or not to allow discussion of the temple rituals and specifics. I persuaded the former owners that it should not be discussed in specifics here, and they agreed.
      The two Mormon families I was working with over that "Mormon Leadership lied about their Houston Temple" mess are no longer Mormons -- one is faithfully attending a Baptist Church, and the other family is attending a Bible Church.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        You are a good influence, KD, and I take what you say to heart.
        Thanks!

I'm sorry, KD --- I'll try harder!
        There is an edit post option, which I've noticed doesn't have a time limit...

I'll fix one for ya:

Yes, your little hissy fits where you make false accusations because you're either:
        A) MUCH less intelligent than I had assumed
        B) simply dishonest
        C) easily angered by the giant chip on your shoulder labeled "How dare you insult my faith and/or call me stupid because I'm a Latter-Day Saint!" being knocked off

Comment

7up, I am trying to be honest in a constructive manner here. I am pretty steamed at you, but I am trying to not unnecessarily hurt your feelings.

Originally posted by seven7up View Post
          My "low tactics"?
          You made some incredibly vicious personal attacks on Cow Poke:

That is why I suspect you are the kind of person who pulls off the hats of Orthodox Jews, then you pull their hair and tell them how stupid they look with all of their "nonsense". You are a despicable human being, and you don't even realize it.

Good luck with your miserable life.
          You must have faked it. You just paid them lip service, just like the god you pretend to serve.
          That just brings up another out of context quote that proves how much of a liar you are. Figures since you are serving the father of lies.
          I'd call that pretty low. And calling someone a "despicable human being" is a personal attack that in no way falls under "pointing out that they don't follow the teachings of Christ." The same goes for your accusing CP of being the sort of person who would physically harrass someone else. Assuming what someone else would do in a hypothetical situation -- and in a mean-spirited way at that -- is hardly the same as pointing out what they've actually done. And that's just in the first paragraph of your posts which I quoted.

I find it appalling that you apparently think this kind of behavior is not only justified, but justified by Jesus' teachings. True, other posters have not been model Christians either, but a) your attacks on CP were IMO far worse than anything anyone else said and b) regardless of what anyone else said or did, even if they said things far worse than what you did, it in no way justifies the attacks you made.

Originally posted by 7up
          This was on the thread where Evangelical Christians were denigrating motherhood and equating it to being "barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen".

Anybody who holds motherhood in high regard would be offended by the speech that LDS critics provided on that thread.
          It was clear to me that Sparko was making fun of LDS theology, not motherhood itself.

This is why I added option C to CP's post. I suspect that you get so angry when someone is making fun of your beliefs that you don't see clearly. That happens to everyone, but it's up to you to realize when anger is making you less rational and to take responsibility for wrongly lashing out at people.

I was responding to their insulting words.
          In the post where you started flying off the handle, you appeared to be reacting to CP's calling LDS theology "totally made up nonsense." So no, you can't characterize your attacks as a noble defense of motherhood.

And, since I don't want to talk about you in third person:

7 has been a snob since he joined. Even before the crash, in a thread with Nick, 7 treated all of us as beneath him and his ridiculous arguments about dice. Nick stopped responding to 7 because of his arrogance and derisive comments.
          You've been arrogant and condescending all along. My impression of your thread with Nick was that both of you were trying to prove you were smarter and better educated than the other.

And while I'm airing my grievances, 1) talking about how humble you are is the opposite of humility and 2) your videos have a condescending tone to them as well. E.g. "Now we come to what is called an impasse," as if your audience is too ignorant to have heard the term "impasse" before.

I've been trying to overlook your behavior and give you the benefit of the doubt by assuming that you don't mean to act like a jerk. But you have repeatedly accused the Christians here of being hypocritical and not following Jesus' teachings and then demonstrated greater hypocrisy by:

a) making brutal personal attacks and then not only not apologizing for them, but justifying them as "defending motherhood" and "pointing out others' failings in following Jesus"

b) saying your discussions with people are a case of "pearls before swine" and then proceeding to completely misapply the principle by not only continuing to engage in them (which, if it truly were a case of "pearls before swine," would be the equivalent of running after the pigs in order to give them more pearls), but ending up behaving even worse than the people you placed in the "swine" category.

I say all this in hopes that you will honestly and constructively address these issues. (It would have been nice to have had a response from you when I first brought some of them up, BTW.)

Comment

That's where you are wrong India. 7 has been a snob since he joined.
            I agree he's been snobby; I never said he wasn't. See my previous post. What I meant was that he didn't respond with direct insults until recently. You were insulting him directly (I'm guessing that was in response to his arrogance) but for the most part he seemed to not respond in kind.

I really tried, but after so many strawmen, misrepresentations, and repeated snobbery, I've had enough.
            You've said that multiple times, and 7up has said "pearls before swine" multiple times, and yet you guys keep exchanging posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kind Debater View Post
              7up, I am trying to be honest in a constructive manner here.
              Honestly, do we know for a fact that 7up is not a juvenile? I don't mean "as in acting juvenile", but do we know for sure he's an adult?

Comment

Honestly, do we know for a fact that 7up is not a juvenile? I don't mean "as in acting juvenile", but do we know for sure he's an adult?
                Really, CP? I think you're going too far. If he were a minor, he would have had to have made up a lot of backstory about his testimony, going to U. of Missouri, having a daughter and son, etc. and be lying about all of that. And he would have to be awfully well read for a teen. And he doesn't sound like a teen in what videos of his I've seen.

I know you think he's acting bizarre, but it's possible that he was so deeply offended by people's characterizing his beliefs as crazy nonsense (which could be seen as saying that he's completely nuts for being LDS) that he's lashing out and not thinking clearly. I've seen worse and while I'm disappointed, I definitely don't think it's cause to say he's literally an adolescent. I've gotten irrationally triggered and told people off before, and had to apologize for it. E.g. on my thread with 7up, when he was asking if I'd had a recent debate with an atheist, I irrationally assumed he was implying I was a n00b and I had to restrain myself from snapping at him. I've had to realize over the years that I get irrationally triggered and that when I'm raging mad, it's usually because I've been triggered and made an irrational assumption.

Comment

I agree he's been snobby; I never said he wasn't. See my previous post. What I meant was that he didn't respond with direct insults until recently.
                  I disagree. Before the Crash, he told me I simply wasn't smart enough to follow his arguments in his video when I challenged his argument from one of them.

You were insulting him directly (I'm guessing that was in response to his arrogance) but for the most part he seemed to not respond in kind.
                  Then you weren't following most of the threads we were in. Very rarely do I directly insult. I will add strong language to my responses, but they are just additives for emphasis of the point I am making.

You've said that multiple times, and 7up has said "pearls before swine" multiple times, and yet you guys keep exchanging posts.
                  Because I refuse to let his false doctrines go unanswered. Sorry, but that's a commandment from the Lord Himself in scripture, so I will continue to refute where necessary.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Really, CP? I think you're going too far.
                    Um.... I think you're overreacting. It was an honest question. I'm trying to understand his apparent immaturity.

If he were a minor, he would have had to have made up a lot of backstory about his testimony, going to U. of Missouri, having a daughter and son, etc. and be lying about all of that.
                    I was not aware of ANY of that.

And he would have to be awfully well read for a teen. And he doesn't sound like a teen in what videos of his I've seen.
                    Sheeeesh, KD, take it easy.. I haven't seen ANY of these videos, and I don't have a "history" with him that I know of -- unless he was somebody else on Tweb.

I know you think he's acting bizarre, but it's possible that he was so deeply offended by people's characterizing his beliefs as crazy nonsense (which could be seen as saying that he's completely nuts for being LDS) that he's lashing out and not thinking clearly. I've seen worse and while I'm disappointed, I definitely don't think it's cause to say he's literally an adolescent.
                    It was a QUESTION, not an accusation.

I've gotten irrationally triggered and told people off before, and had to apologize for it. E.g. on my thread with 7up, when he was asking if I'd had a recent debate with an atheist, I irrationally assumed he was implying I was a n00b and I had to restrain myself from snapping at him. I've had to realize over the years that I get irrationally triggered and that when I'm raging mad, it's usually because I've been triggered and made an irrational assumption.
                    Well, here's a HUGE difference --- while I DO believe that Smith was a con man, and the BoM is a work of fiction, I have ZERO hostility for or toward 7up. He is, in my book, a misguided soul.

I was TRYING to be charitable -- if it WAS true that he was a "young'n", I could understand his reactions a little better.

Comment

Um.... I think you're overreacting. It was an honest question. I'm trying to understand his apparent immaturity.
                      I guess that makes more sense given you weren't aware of his videos, personal info, etc. I was just surprised at your question because I thought you had seen all that.

Originally posted by CP
                      It was a QUESTION, not an accusation.
                      I would feel pretty insulted if someone asked that about me. I imagine most adults would be. But I understand that you were trying to be charitable.

Comment

I guess that makes more sense given you weren't aware of his videos, personal info, etc. I was just surprised at your question because I thought you had seen all that.
                        It's kinda why I was surprised he came at me with so much venom. I didn't have a CLUE who he was.

I would feel pretty insulted if someone asked that about me. I imagine most adults would be. But I understand that you were trying to be charitable.
                        Well, SURE, and he SHOULD be ashamed for somebody to make that assumption. But it's OK -- I know that his vitriol is not due to his youth.

Comment

I disagree. Before the Crash, he told me I simply wasn't smart enough to follow his arguments in his video when I challenged his argument from one of them.
                          I didn't remember that (not saying you're wrong, just that I didn't remember it). I know he had started doing the "pearls before swine" stuff before it crashed.

Then you weren't following most of the threads we were in. Very rarely do I directly insult. I will add strong language to my responses, but they are just additives for emphasis of the point I am making.
                          I've followed them but not closely (I skim most of the posts). I have seen you calling him "nitwit" and "stupid" which are direct insults in my book.

Because I refuse to let his false doctrines go unanswered. Sorry, but that's a commandment from the Lord Himself in scripture, so I will continue to refute where necessary.
                          That's your call, of course. I had assumed that when you were saying you'd "tried" and "had enough" that meant you were done talking to him.

Comment

I guess that makes more sense given you weren't aware of his videos...

What videos?

Comment

What videos?
                              http://m.youtube.com/user/Khhaaan1

Comment

Thanks

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X