Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Hiding Behind "Sacred"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Well, here's a HUGE difference --- while I DO believe that Smith was a con man, and the BoM is a work of fiction, I have ZERO hostility for or toward 7up.
    Is it the case that you aren't bothered by insults, etc. and it doesn't make sense to you when other people seem to be overly sensitive to them? (I mean that in a "getting to know you better" sense.)

Comment

Originally posted by Kind Debater View Post
      Is it the case that you aren't bothered by insults, etc.
      I think that says more about the other person than it does about me. When they have to resort to personal insults, it tells me they don't have a case.

Now, if it was somebody I truly RESPECTED that launched insults, yeah, that would hurt. But when it's somebody who is obviously angry and frustrated -- not so much.

and it doesn't make sense to you when other people seem to be overly sensitive to them? (I mean that in a "getting to know you better" sense.)
      I have been attacked for my faith plenty of times - to me, the best thing to do is to stand strong and remain resolute. I have posted the story of my lesbian atheist liberal Jew executive assistant who LOVED to attack my faith, but I won her friendship and respect by standing strong. Technically, I could have fired her at any moment for insubordination, but she was otherwise a good worker, and I knew that her biggest problem was that she needed Jesus.

We have had a FEW Mormons who have operated in that manner -- Brother Aardvark comes to mind -- he never blew up, got angry, acted out -- he just responded with what he believed and stood firm.

7up can't do that, and I believe it's because he doesn't - deep inside - really believe what he's saying.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

- it was NOT a denigration of "motherhood", but of the goofy concept that there's a "Heavenly Mother" who produces millions (billions? trillions?) of "spirit babies", and the logical conclusions for which that calls.
        Your "conclusions" are based on all kinds of baseless assumptions.

HERE is the exact quote, which you understandably failed to provide:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko
        They are too busy being barefoot and pregnant. After all who is going to create new spirit babies?
        And she has to keep the house clean, make dinner for God and all his angels, take the spirit babies to soccer. She is way too busy to go around working at the office as a God. That's a man's job
        The fact that it was a denigration of actual mothers in order to denigrate the LDS idea of a Heavenly Mother does not help your case much.

It was OBVIOUSLY a reference to the goofy notion of "Heavenly Mother" manufactured by Joseph Smith ...
        And it was obvious that "goofy notions" about actual mothers were being used as a spring board to attack the idea of a Heavenly Mother. It was a pathetic ploy by the regular posters of this forum.

So, which is it --- are you dishonest or just plain ignorant?
        It is up to you to decide, smart guy.

-7up

Comment

In a debate about marriage in heaven, in TWEB B.C., where Other Cheek commented that there were some things that were too sacred to talk about (my best recollection), I commented there was nothing more sacred than the Cross, which we talk about all the time.

In fact, we're COMMANDED to talk about it.

How did the concept of sacredness become the same as secretive?
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by seven7up View Post

The fact that it was a denigration of actual mothers in order to denigrate the LDS idea of a Heavenly Mother does not help your case much.
            It was a parody of what he believes the Mormon teaching inevitably assigns as the proper role of motherhood. The appropriate response would be to demonstrate where that perception went awry, citing actual teachings.

And it was obvious that "goofy notions" about actual mothers were being used as a spring board to attack the idea of a Heavenly Mother. It was a pathetic ploy by the regular posters of this forum.
            This "Heavenly Mother" seems very similar to Ashatoroth, wife of El, of the Canaanite pantheon. Is there something you can provide to dispel that perception?

-7up[/QUOTE]
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

At least he has conclusions. All you have is...

Do you have proof that Sparko's comment was denigrating?

And it was obvious that "goofy notions" about actual mothers were being used as a spring board to attack the idea of a Heavenly Mother.
              I notice how you just call her an "idea", and then claim that WE denigrate her. She's not even worthy of being called "doctrine" in your religion.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                At least he has conclusions. All you have is...

Do you have proof that Sparko's comment was denigrating?

I notice how you just call her an "idea", and then claim that WE denigrate her. She's not even worthy of being called "doctrine" in your religion.
                I think a lot of times Smith spoke "off the cuff" while giving sermons without thinking through his words. Then he later had to try to reconcile what he said with the "official doctrine" story he made up. After all, a really real prophet of God could never admit to making stuff up or making mistakes.

Comment

At least I'm not making stuff up and trying to turn it into doctrine. Nor am I swallowing goofy nonsense just because I'm overcommitted to a false prophet.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is up to you to decide, smart guy.

-7up
                    So, again, rather than just discuss the issue, you have to do the insult thing. When ya got nothing, get personal!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X