Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Motto of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Motto of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

How many LDS members know the Church motto? Does it strike you as a good motto for a church? Do you memorize it?

" Motto of the Church of [Jesus] Christ of Latter-day Saints: Then Constitution of our country formed by the Fathers of Liberty. Peace and good order in society. Love to God and good will to man. All good and wholesome Laws, And virtue and truth above all things, And Aristarchy live forever!!! But Wo to tyrants Mobs, Aristocracy, Anarchy and Toryism, And all those shoe invent or seek out unrighteous and vexatious lawsuits under the pretext or color of law or office, either religious or political.
    Exalt the standard of Democracy! Down with the Priestcraft, and let all the people say Amen! That the blood of our Fathers may not cry from the ground against us. Sacred is the memory of that Blood which brought for us liberty."

Signed by:

Joseph Smith, Jr.
    Thomas B. Marsh
    David Patten
    Bringham Young
    Samuel H. Smith
    George Hinkle
    John Corrill
    George Robinson

What's a motto?
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      What's a motto?
      Google says - "a short sentence or phrase chosen as encapsulating the beliefs or ideals guiding an individual, family, or institution."

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalInkling View Post
        Google says - "a short sentence or phrase chosen as encapsulating the beliefs or ideals guiding an individual, family, or institution."
        motto.jpg
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Quick aside....

I used to office with a guy named Tom, who was really into Texas history.

One day, I got a phone call from one of our Church Members who's son was doing a report for his Scout Troup on Texas History. He was asking me if I know what the Texas Motto was. I was pretty sure it was "Friendship", but thought I'd double check with Tom.

I called out to Tom, "Hey TOM! What's the Texas MOTTO?"

He called back "I think it's up to 65 Million Dollars!"

I laughed, then yelled back, "No, Not the LOTTO --- the MOTTO!!!!!"

"OH, Sorry", he replied, "If you don't play you can't win!"
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalInkling View Post
            Down with the Priestcraft, and let all the people say Amen!
            Was this BEFORE or AFTER the Mormons started making all their men and boys "priests"?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

OK, so here is FairMormon's definition of "Priestcraft" -- basically, anybody who gets PAID to serve in a ministerial role, and does so for the primary reason that they get paid to do so.

Source: FairMormon

Priestcraft

Perhaps the most explicit scriptural statement about this issue from a negative perspective comes from 2 Nephi 26:31 (cited above).

Church members have a particular sensitivity to issues surrounding paid ministries particularly due to admonitions in the Book of Mormon relative to a practices known as priestcraft, which is "that men preach and set themselves up for a light unto the world, that they may get gain and praise of the world; but they seek not the welfare of Zion" (see 2 Nephi 26:29). It is warned against and decried repeatedly (see Alma 1:12,16, 3 Ne 16:10, 3 Ne 21:19, 3 Ne 30:2, D&C 33:4). For this reason, the idea of compensation for service seems contradictory to strongly held values of the Latter-day Saint community. However, it should be noted that priestcraft as it has been defined is a condemnation of intent (to get gain and praise, and not for the welfare of Zion), and not about an individual receiving support. Living stipends are not compensations for service, but recognition of a practical reality that individuals who dedicate their full time to Church service are sometimes unable to simultaneously provide for their own modest living needs.

The example of King Benjamin adds to the LDS value of self sufficiency of leaders in particular. Benjamin, while king, still labored for his own support (see Mosiah 2:14). This is a very admirable demonstration of humility on the part of the king. However, this example was being used in the context of his political position as king, and would be comparable to a President refusing to accept his salary for his service. It should not be used to condemn the practice of helping provide for the modest living needs of full time leaders who are unable to dedicate time to earning a living.

Many people of other faiths admirably desire to serve as clergy in their respective churches, and go through extensive training to do so. Most clergy live on subsistence level wages. Principles of priestcrafts apply equally to these people as to our own leadership. The scriptures denounce preaching the gospel solely from a desire to make money and get rich, or to defraud people (see 1 Peter 5:2). The Book of Mormon likewise defines "priestcraft" as teaching for the sake of getting gain while not seeking "the welfare of Zion" (see 2 Nephi 26:29. Likewise, many members of other faiths devote time to their churches without any monetary compensation. Certainly they follow the teachings of Jesus by so doing, and accomplish much good thereby.

© Copyright Original Source

It's quite well known that the lower echelon of Mormon "ministers" volunteer their time. The Mormon Church, notably, is VERY secretive of how much the "upper echelon" gets paid, but I have found several sources that show the "allowance" for "personal expenses", and it's VERY generous.

The Mormon Church USA does not file public financial statements, but from our CANADIAN friends, we get: (I would happily provide a MORMON source were they not so secretive)
              Source: dovesandserpents.org

In 2009, the LDS Church in Canada filed the annual earnings of its employees there with the federal government. Out of 184 full time employees, the average salary was $83,000, with 2 of them earning between $80,000 and $120,000, 6 of them earning between $120,000 and $160,000, and the top 2 earning between $160,000 and $200,000. Considering that such salaries were way above the national pay average ($50,000 for business administrators in the private sector, which normally pays better than the non-profit third sector), plus taking into account the “living expenses” benefits that the Church seems to be quite liberal with (as per our earlier discoveries regarding mission presidents), it is safe to presume that the Church generally pays above-average wages with lavish benefits. It then stands to reason that Apostles may earn something between $300,000 and $800,000 a year, if not much more in the higher echelon (i.e. First Presidency and Senior Apostles). - See more at: http://www.dovesandserpents.org/wp/2....GtWwPR4I.dpuf

© Copyright Original Source

In the comments section, I see many Mormons defending the notion that their leaders make VERY little money, and "who cares how much they make"!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                OK, so here is FairMormon's definition of "Priestcraft" -- basically, anybody who gets PAID to serve in a ministerial role, and does so for the primary reason that they get paid to do so.
                I'm sure there are ministers who are in the job because they get paid, but I have yet to meet one.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  I'm sure there are ministers who are in the job because they get paid, but I have yet to meet one.
                  EGGzackly --- I've known a few, particularly in Music, who seemed to have a primary interest in "music", and the Church was a venue to play that out and make better money than other venues, but they were soon found out. And, there are, of course, the "bigtime televangelists" who get into the "name it and claim it" and "prosperity doctrine" things, but for the most part, I can't think of any ministers who are "in it for the money". Often, we're in it IN SPITE of the money.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X