Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Good For The Mormon Church!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Baptists aren't considered "mainline" IIRC.
    Good!

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's just dumb -- just TRY to cut in line at one of our "dinners on the grounds" and see if you aren't summarily disciplined.

All seriousness aside, our Denomination does not ordain women as pastors, but some of our more liberal member churches do. That becomes a problem, and is PART of the reason we have two State Baptist Conventions. The one to which I subscribe does not ordain women, and we have a clear message on "family" being "the foundational institution of human society. It is composed of persons related to one another by marriage, blood, or adoption. "
    Baptists aren't considered "mainline" IIRC.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    Good For The Mormon Church! For sticking to their guns!
    Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    Basic church discipline is so rare in mainline churches that you have to rely on cults to demonstrate how to do it. It's nice that they can preserve discipline ...
    And the United Methodist Church just caved!
    All seriousness aside, our Denomination does not ordain women as pastors, but some of our more liberal member churches do. That becomes a problem, and is PART of the reason we have two State Baptist Conventions. The one to which I subscribe does not ordain women, and we have a clear message on "family" being "the foundational institution of human society. It is composed of persons related to one another by marriage, blood, or adoption. "
    For those who are seriously opposed to women holding leadership positions in ordained (or unordained) ministries, not just those cited above, I'm curious what kind of church structure or government would best accomplish your goals of not ordaining, appointing, or electing women leaders? If the traditional Protestant models of church government have failed in this regard (have they?), should different forms of church government be considered? Perhaps one that limits such decisions to ecumenical councils or a pope that are charged with upholding the authoritative interpretation of scripture and church tradition?

Leave a comment:

• QuantaFille
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    Dunno why this is in Civics and not the Mormonism sunforum.
    Moderated By: QuantaFille

Moved.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I recall seeing a TV program that showed that many Amish use computers for their businesses but don't have them in their homes (unless the business operates out of the house).
    Yeah, and the group I visited can ride in cars, but they can't DRIVE or OWN cars. So there are some of the "more liberal" members who DO drive, and charge the more conservative non-drivers for rides to the grocery store, etc.

They're doing the same thing as everybody else, INOHBAO -- adapting to the ways of society -- but at a much slower pace.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    On my last visit to Amishland, in Pennsylvania, it was interesting to see that the dairy farmers were using electric milking machines, but there was a distinction --- the electricity had to come from GENERATORS on their farms, and NOT from "the grid", so they only had electricity to do work, not for enjoyment.

It reminded me of the Shabbat elevators I encountered in Israel -- they had to operate without the need to push a button to choose your floor, so they constantly went up and down stopping at EVERY floor.

Back in Pennsylvania, our Amish guide had an iPhone, but quickly pointed out he was in rebellion.
    I recall seeing a TV program that showed that many Amish use computers for their businesses but don't have them in their homes (unless the business operates out of the house).

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    EGGzackly

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
    Basic church discipline is so rare in mainline churches that you have to rely on cults to demonstrate how to do it.
    That's just dumb -- just TRY to cut in line at one of our "dinners on the grounds" and see if you aren't summarily disciplined.

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Last edited by robrecht; 06-25-2014, 02:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Do the Amish even use computers?
    On my last visit to Amishland, in Pennsylvania, it was interesting to see that the dairy farmers were using electric milking machines, but there was a distinction --- the electricity had to come from GENERATORS on their farms, and NOT from "the grid", so they only had electricity to do work, not for enjoyment.

It reminded me of the Shabbat elevators I encountered in Israel -- they had to operate without the need to push a button to choose your floor, so they constantly went up and down stopping at EVERY floor.

Back in Pennsylvania, our Amish guide had an iPhone, but quickly pointed out he was in rebellion.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    That part was a joke, son.
    That was a JO... I say, a JOKE, son!

Leave a comment:

• robrecht
    replied
    Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I think it was added to the religion category list as a joke, because what Amish person would be signing up at a web forum?
    I was actually thinking that might be the case, but I couldn't be sure, eg, what about some wayward teenagers during Rumspringa?

Leave a comment:

• QuantaFille
    replied
    I think it was added to the religion category list as a joke, because what Amish person would be signing up at a web forum?

Leave a comment:

• Zymologist
    replied
    I encouraged some of the guys at the local Amish market to register here and defend themselves as Christians but they never did.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    That part was a joke, son.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X