Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Good For The Mormon Church!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good For The Mormon Church!

For sticking to their guns!

http://ordainwomen.org/reaction-to-k...communication/

The verdict has been handed down in the disciplinary trial of Kate Kelly, one of the founders of the group Ordain Women. Today, Kelly’s former ecclesiastical leader in Virginia, Bishop Mark Harrison, contacted Kelly by email to inform her that the all-male panel of judges who tried her in absentia on Sunday, June 22nd, has convicted her on the charge of apostasy and has decided to excommunicate her, which is the most serious punishment that can be levied by a Church court. Bishop Harrison explained the consequences of excommunication and the conditions he has imposed upon Kelly, in order for her to be considered worthy of future re-baptism into the Church....

...“In order to be considered for readmission to the Church, you will need to demonstrate over a period of time that you have stopped teachings and actions that undermine the Church, its leaders, and the doctrine of the priesthood. You must be truthful in your communications with others regarding matters that involve your priesthood leaders, including the administration of Church discipline, and you must stop trying to gain a following for yourself or your cause and taking actions that could lead others away from the Church.”
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Dunno why this is in Civics and not the Mormonism sunforum.
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      Dunno why this is in Civics and not the Mormonism sunforum.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...Opinions/page2

Post #19

Comment

In order to be considered for readmission to the Church, you will need to demonstrate over a period of time that you have stopped teachings and actions that undermine the Church, its leaders, and the doctrine of the priesthood. You must be truthful in your communications with others regarding matters that involve your priesthood leaders, including the administration of Church discipline, and you must stop trying to gain a following for yourself or your cause and taking actions that could lead others away from the Church.
        Basic church discipline is so rare in mainline churches that you have to rely on cults to demonstrate how to do it. It's nice that they can preserve discipline when standing apart from the wider culture, but fixing that culture is another question entirely, and the job of people who have to follow a religion based on its truth claims.

Sad part is, you may have to bring down the US government to do it, and then the Mormons will have to maintain their discipline on something other than dietary supplements, remote living and Federal contracts and set-asides. Still, like the Amish (a much better non-heretical example to follow, and who very wisely maintain an aura of uncoolness so complete the media rarely takes notice of them,) they've been people that have actually forced history to stop or slow down within their sphere of influence, unlike, say, National Review.

Comment

And the United Methodist Church just caved!

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...is-reinstated/
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Epoetker View Post
            ... Still, like the Amish (a much better non-heretical example to follow, and who very wisely maintain an aura of uncoolness so complete the media rarely takes notice of them,) they've been people that have actually forced history to stop or slow down within their sphere of influence, unlike, say, National Review.
            On the old TWeb, the Amish were considered a separate religious category, ie, not subsumed under 'Christian' or 'Christian (other)', but I never knew why. Does anyone know? I encouraged some of the guys at the local Amish market to register here and defend themselves as Christians but they never did.
            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              On the old TWeb, the Amish were considered a separate religious category, ie, not subsumed under 'Christian' or 'Christian (other)', but I never knew why. Does anyone know? I encouraged some of the guys at the local Amish market to register here and defend themselves as Christians but they never did.
              Do the Amish even use computers?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                That part was a joke, son.

Comment

Comment

I encouraged some of the guys at the local Amish market to register here and defend themselves as Christians but they never did.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I think it was added to the religion category list as a joke, because what Amish person would be signing up at a web forum?
                      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                        I think it was added to the religion category list as a joke, because what Amish person would be signing up at a web forum?
                        I was actually thinking that might be the case, but I couldn't be sure, eg, what about some wayward teenagers during Rumspringa?

Comment

That was a JO... I say, a JOKE, son!
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            On my last visit to Amishland, in Pennsylvania, it was interesting to see that the dairy farmers were using electric milking machines, but there was a distinction --- the electricity had to come from GENERATORS on their farms, and NOT from "the grid", so they only had electricity to do work, not for enjoyment.

It reminded me of the Shabbat elevators I encountered in Israel -- they had to operate without the need to push a button to choose your floor, so they constantly went up and down stopping at EVERY floor.

Back in Pennsylvania, our Amish guide had an iPhone, but quickly pointed out he was in rebellion.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Last edited by robrecht; 06-25-2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X