Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin


Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What were the waters?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What were the waters?

    1 Nep 11:25 And it came to pass that I beheld that the rod of iron, which my father had seen, was the word of God, which led to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was a representation of the love of God.

    Later he says

    1 Nep 15:26 And they said unto me: What meaneth the river of water which our father saw?
    1 Nep 15:27 And I said unto them that the water which my father saw was filthiness; and so much was his mind swallowed up in other things that he beheld not the filthiness of the water.
    That's what
    - She

    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    Stephen R. Donaldson

  • #2
    I think I see what you're getting at,but the older versions of English always trip me up sometimes.
    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

    Comment


    • #3
      Context for each passage???
      -The universe begins to look more like a great thought than a great machine.
      Sir James Jeans

      -This most beautiful system (The Universe) could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.All variety of created objects which represent order and Life in the Universe could happen only by the willful reasoning of its original Creator, whom I call the Lord God.
      Sir Isaac Newton

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Quantum Weirdness View Post
        Context for each passage???
        They are both describing the same vision Nephi's father supposedly had. In GREAT detail.
        That's what
        - She

        Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

        I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        Stephen R. Donaldson

        Comment


        • #5
          Interesting observation. Did you make this discovery on your own? Recently?
          "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven...." Joseph Smith

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post
            Interesting observation. Did you make this discovery on your own? Recently?
            Thanks. Yes. No. I was going over an old document I had from a lengthy response to Coyotl that I do not recall was answered, so I thought I'd post it here to get some feedback and a response.
            That's what
            - She

            Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

            I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            Stephen R. Donaldson

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              1 Nep 11:25 And it came to pass that I beheld that the rod of iron, which my father had seen, was the word of God, which led to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was a representation of the love of God.

              Later he says

              1 Nep 15:26 And they said unto me: What meaneth the river of water which our father saw?
              1 Nep 15:27 And I said unto them that the water which my father saw was filthiness; and so much was his mind swallowed up in other things that he beheld not the filthiness of the water.

              There are actually two bodies of water described in Lehi's dream (although most artistic depictions of the dream use the "tree of life" in the imagery instead of the parallel "fountain of living water" which both represent the love of God.

              Anyways, there are two "waters" referred to: 1) a river of filthy water that represents the depths of hell and 2) a fountain of living waters that represents the love of God (see 1 Nephi 12:16; 1 Nephi 11:36).

              The river was not yet identified as "filthy" in 1 Nephi 8:13, 17, 19, 26 , but that is what it was referring to according to the context.

              The teaching to glean from this is that there is a fountain of pure and true living water, but then there is a deceptive alternative form of water which is filthy and impure.

              -7up

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by seven7up View Post
                There are actually two bodies of water described in Lehi's dream (although most artistic depictions of the dream use the "tree of life" in the imagery instead of the parallel "fountain of living water" which both represent the love of God.

                Anyways, there are two "waters" referred to: 1) a river of filthy water that represents the depths of hell and 2) a fountain of living waters that represents the love of God (see 1 Nephi 12:16; 1 Nephi 11:36).

                The river was not yet identified as "filthy" in 1 Nephi 8:13, 17, 19, 26 , but that is what it was referring to according to the context.

                The teaching to glean from this is that there is a fountain of pure and true living water, but then there is a deceptive alternative form of water which is filthy and impure.

                -7up
                I don't see the first reference to the "river of filthiness". I see only one river mentioned. not two. Could you show me where the vision said there were 2 rivers?
                That's what
                - She

                Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

                I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                Stephen R. Donaldson

                Comment

                widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X