Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Since MAN can become God, why not women?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by seven7up View Post
    I repeat.

Pearls before swine.
    You can "repeat" that all you want, and it just goes to show how ill equipped you are to deal with opposition.

The insulting and un Christlike commentary here should be sufficient evidence for any honest observer.
    Please show what is "un Christlike".... I believe your religion is a scam and your "prophet" is a phony... just like Jesus stood up to the religious leaders of HIS day. Would you call HIS CONDUCT "un Christlike"?

Look, 7up, if you aren't capable of defending your religion, and can't stand the heat, get your snarky whiny butt out of the kitchen.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    They can.
    So, if you can, please evaluate this statement: "After death, while their husbands are creating and ruling over planets, the women have the questionable honor of bearing his "spirit children" for eternity."

First, I'm sure you'd have an issue with the characterization of bearing his "spirit children" as "questionable honor", and I understand that.

But, besides birthing "spirit children", what does Mother God actually do?

Leave a comment:

• seven7up
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So, they would become "Mother God"????? The other Mormons on Tweb have always tried to hide from the "Mother God" concept.
    I repeat.

Pearls before swine.

The insulting and un Christlike commentary here should be sufficient evidence for any honest observer.

7UP: Hence in Genesis God says "let US create man in OUR image and after OUR likeness ... both male and female".

Wow, what a stretch!

Perhaps if that were the origin of the doctrine. But it isn't. However, it certainly DOES fit. Fits much better than the Greek philosophical monotheism version with a literally omnipresent single simple substance of a deity.

-7up

Leave a comment:

• seven7up
    replied
    Originally posted by Kind Debater View Post
    Seriously, whatever else we say about Smith, he had a special knack for marketing religion. I bet he realized it was smart to let other men in his group share some of his privileges, so they wouldn't be jealous and it wouldn't be quite as obvious that he was taking advantage of them. Though I think his real genius was in coming up with the "almost everyone is saved" doctrine. LDS get to have their cake and eat it too. They get to claim that their religion is tolerant and "nice people" who don't accept Jesus/Joseph Smith get to have a decent afterlife, but they also get to say that the serial killers, child molesters, etc. are in hell. So they get to satisfy both the peace-loving people who don't like hell and the justice-loving people who don't want "really evil people" in heaven. And as an added bonus, they get to use the psychological pressure of "but if you leave the church, you'll be damned" to keep people in once they join.

You are right KD.

Instead of marketing a "god" who draws a line and sends the grand majority of Earth's inhabitants to suffering in hell forever, it was very clever of Joseph Smith to discuss a more reasonable God who will judge each individual or reward them according to their deeds performed in mortality.

And how astute of you to point out the "psychological pressure" involved. Certainly, you must not see any such pressure in your faith, whereby it is "accept Jesus and avoid eternal damnation; no pressure though."

-7up

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    They can.

In the LDS religion, a man cannot become exalted without a woman, and a woman cannot become exalted without a man.
    So, they would become "Mother God"????? The other Mormons on Tweb have always tried to hide from the "Mother God" concept.

The plural Hebrew term for God, "Elohim", implies Heavenly Mother in the minds of LDS believers.
    Why does this not surprise me?

Hence in Genesis God says "let US create man in OUR image and after OUR likeness ... both male and female".
    Wow, what a stretch!

Now, you may continue with your insulting mockery to your own detriment.
    And you may continue being a whiny crybaby crabbyappleton.

Christ was right on when he spoke about "pearls before swine". Too many examples here to keep track of.

-7up
    I got news for you, Bub... I know Christ, and you ain't Him!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    You DO realize that this is how agnostics / atheists attempt to characterize a woman's role in all of Christianity.
    You DO realize that this typically refers to "trailer trash", "white trash", or extremist fundamentalists, yes?

I don't have to search hard to find hypocrisy spewing forth from your mouth Sparko. Practically every single post.

-7up
    You just don't appreciate bacon.

Leave a comment:

• seven7up
    replied
    ... why can not other women become "Mother God" as men can supposedly become "God"?
    They can.

In the LDS religion, a man cannot become exalted without a woman, and a woman cannot become exalted without a man.

The plural Hebrew term for God, "Elohim", implies Heavenly Mother in the minds of LDS believers. Hence in Genesis God says "let US create man in OUR image and after OUR likeness ... both male and female".

Now, you may continue with your insulting mockery to your own detriment.

Christ was right on when he spoke about "pearls before swine". Too many examples here to keep track of.

-7up

Leave a comment:

• seven7up
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    They are too busy being barefoot and pregnant.
    You DO realize that this is how agnostics / atheists attempt to characterize a woman's role in all of Christianity.

I don't have to search hard to find hypocrisy spewing forth from your mouth Sparko. Practically every single post.

-7up

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied
    Originally posted by Kind Debater View Post
    Assuming Joseph Smith was the one who invented that doctrine...You guys beat up on Smith a lot, but see, he was a generous man. He didn't just say that he himself could become God, have multiple wives and threaten his wife with destruction if she objected -- he let all the other men in the church have the same privileges, even the power to threaten their wives with eternal death. Wasn't that nice of him? You don't see other dictators/supreme authorities sharing their special privileges with fully 50% of their subjects.
    Well, Mohammed shared most of said privileges, so...

Seriously, whatever else we say about Smith, he had a special knack for marketing religion. I bet he realized it was smart to let other men in his group share some of his privileges, so they wouldn't be jealous and it wouldn't be quite as obvious that he was taking advantage of them. Though I think his real genius was in coming up with the "almost everyone is saved" doctrine. LDS get to have their cake and eat it too. They get to claim that their religion is tolerant and "nice people" who don't accept Jesus/Joseph Smith get to have a decent afterlife, but they also get to say that the serial killers, child molesters, etc. are in hell. So they get to satisfy both the peace-loving people who don't like hell and the justice-loving people who don't want "really evil people" in heaven. And as an added bonus, they get to use the psychological pressure of "but if you leave the church, you'll be damned" to keep people in once they join.
    Sounds like a less violent, more modern/tolerant Mohammed.

Leave a comment:

• Kind Debater
    replied
    Assuming Joseph Smith was the one who invented that doctrine...You guys beat up on Smith a lot, but see, he was a generous man. He didn't just say that he himself could become God, have multiple wives and threaten his wife with destruction if she objected -- he let all the other men in the church have the same privileges, even the power to threaten their wives with eternal death. Wasn't that nice of him? You don't see other dictators/supreme authorities sharing their special privileges with fully 50% of their subjects.

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by foudroyant View Post
    Isn't true (I'm not entirely sure about this) that if the husband forgets or intentionally refuses to call her by her (secret?) name she won't become his wife in the celestial kingdom (?)
    She won't even be resurrected!

Leave a comment:

• foudroyant
    replied
    Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    Foudy we found the perfect religion for you

No way!

My wife tries to obey what the Bible says - she doesn't need any other source of authority from the Mormons....

Topic now back on track.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    Foudy we found the perfect religion for you

Leave a comment:

• foudroyant
    replied
    Isn't true (I'm not entirely sure about this) that if the husband forgets or intentionally refuses to call her by her (secret?) name she won't become his wife in the celestial kingdom (?)

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    No you didn't. That is not the way the LDS heaven works, deary. Men do the work of creating and getting prayed to and sending out angels and so on. The wimmin folk just sit back and take care of the home cloud and kids, and bake muffins.
    AND get threatened with DESTRUCTION if they don't knuckle under!

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X