Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Carbon Dioxide's Anti-Mormon Training Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by seven7up View Post
    I like how you cut the verse out of context.
    I don't suppose you'd like to take a crack at the OP, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    oh and conveniently God made multiple wives a condition for exaltation. But apparently it wasn't a condition before, and it isn't now. The Mormon God keeps changing his mind.

You never did answer my question about whether God can change his mind about anything, including murder. Please answer.

--

Does that mean that one day God might change his mind about anything? Like Murder? One day he might decided that murder is not a sin and command mormons to go around murdering innocent people. Or maybe that is what happened during the MM massacre? Hmmm?

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    The motivations behind our actions matter Sparko.

The abomination was men doing things based on their own selfish reasons, multiplying wives unto themselves.

Perhaps that is too subtle of a concept for you to understand.

-7up
    yeah right. That is why he called having more than one wife a whoredom and an abomination.

Oh wait, he said he delights in the chastity of women. Oops. I guess Smith forgot that part when he decided to institute polygamy again and blackmail his own wife Emma with threats from God when he decided to multiply wives for his own selfish reasons, even to taking OTHER men's wives as his own.

Smith was a sick pervert.

Leave a comment:

• seven7up
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    that verse doesn't even make a lick of sense. Was Smith drinking when he wrote it?

So basically you are saying that if something is an ABOMINATION to God, and he considers it a WHOREDOM, that he might change his mind later? And then change it back just coincidentally when the US government steps in and makes polygamy illegal?

Does that mean that one day God might change his mind about anything? Like Murder? One day he might decided that murder is not a sin and command mormons to go around murdering innocent people. Or maybe that is what happened during the MM massacre? Hmmm?

Do you really want to argue that God will change his mind about something he claims is a sin and an abomination to him?

The motivations behind our actions matter Sparko.

The abomination was men doing things based on their own selfish reasons, multiplying wives unto themselves.

Perhaps that is too subtle of a concept for you to understand.

-7up
    Last edited by seven7up; 06-01-2014, 02:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seven7up
    replied
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon dioxide View Post
    I wish the LDS Church would have a class on anti-Mormonism. Have an alternative class during Sunday school where members deal with a topic each week and study through it.

It would be fruitless. As soon as you debunk an anti-mormon argument, they come up with another that is equally false. By the time you run full circle, the anti-mormons forget that the first argument had been debunked, and then they just repeat it. Just like the misuse of Jacob 2 attempted earlier on this thread.

Anti-Mormons just ignore the WHOLE context in the chapter written by Jacob.

God says IF God wills, or if God has good reason, then he will command it. God is saying that different situations may actually call for polygamy, but for the most part, the standard rule is one wife.

So, the Book of Mormon text says that one wife is the standard, but in different situations there may be polygamy in specific times if God commands it.

Even killing another human being can be categorized in this way. There are some situations where killing another man may be justified.

-7up

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    I like how you cut the verse out of context. That would be part of learning about Anti-Mormonism, as it is an all too frequent tactic. Here are the next two verses:

29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes.
    30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; OTHERWISE they shall hearken unto these things.

Can you honestly tell me that you weren't aware of the next two verses in the context? Or are you unable to understand what it means?

I have not the time or energy to pick apart all of these anti-mormon arguments. Especially when it has already been done over and over again.

-7up
    that verse doesn't even make a lick of sense. Was Smith drinking when he wrote it?

So basically you are saying that if something is an ABOMINATION to God, and he considers it a WHOREDOM, that he might change his mind later? And then change it back just coincidentally when the US government steps in and makes polygamy illegal?

Do you really want to argue that God will change his mind about something he claims is a sin and an abomination to him?

Leave a comment:

• seven7up
    replied
    Originally posted by Kind Debater View Post
    Ooh, here's another good passage:

“Thus says the Lord God: This also I will let the house of Israel ask me to do for them: to increase their people like a flock. Like the flock for sacrifices, like the flock at Jerusalem during her appointed feasts, so shall the waste cities be filled with flocks of people. Then they will know that I am the Lord.” --Ezekiel 36:37-38

"Then they will know that I am the Lord" -- because God would have provided for it to happen, not men, just as God liked to save Israel through his power, not their military strength.

So, in your church, do you wait around constantly for miracles to happen? Do you just sit around and wait for God to do everything for you? Does God expect us to do nothing at all?

-7up

Leave a comment:

• seven7up
    replied
    Or that the BoM itself condemns polygamy:

Jacob 2 24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.

26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.

27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.

FairMormon tries to hand wave that away by saying that God can change his mind later. But if God calls something a whoredom and an abomination before him, why would he ever change his mind about that? It isn't like changing his mind about wearing a blue shirt one day and a red shirt the next. If something is an abomination to God, it would always be an abomination.

I like how you cut the verse out of context. That would be part of learning about Anti-Mormonism, as it is an all too frequent tactic. Here are the next two verses:

29 Wherefore, this people shall keep my commandments, saith the Lord of Hosts, or cursed be the land for their sakes.
    30 For if I will, saith the Lord of Hosts, raise up seed unto me, I will command my people; OTHERWISE they shall hearken unto these things.

Can you honestly tell me that you weren't aware of the next two verses in the context? Or are you unable to understand what it means?

I have not the time or energy to pick apart all of these anti-mormon arguments. Especially when it has already been done over and over again.

-7up

Leave a comment:

• Kind Debater
    replied
    And why did God need Mormon men to have multiple wives, when he previously started a nation for himself via an infertile couple?
    Ooh, here's another good passage:

“Thus says the Lord God: This also I will let the house of Israel ask me to do for them: to increase their people like a flock. Like the flock for sacrifices, like the flock at Jerusalem during her appointed feasts, so shall the waste cities be filled with flocks of people. Then they will know that I am the Lord.” --Ezekiel 36:37-38

"Then they will know that I am the Lord" -- because God would have provided for it to happen, not men, just as God liked to save Israel through his power, not their military strength.

Leave a comment:

• Cerebrum123
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, Class, please settle down... the teacher needs to be able to speak.

Teacher: I am your substitute teacher, Sister Mary Elephant. Class, attention, attention, class, class, "SHUDD-UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!! Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    OK, Class, please settle down... the teacher needs to be able to speak.

Carbon Dioxide? The floor is yours....

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    That is insertable in nearly every topic
    yeah reminds me of the wizard of Oz. "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Leave a comment:

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    FairMormon tries to hand wave that away ...
    That is insertable in nearly every topic

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    And why did God need Mormon men to have multiple wives, when he previously started a nation for himself via an infertile couple?
    Or that the BoM itself condemns polygamy:

Jacob 2 24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.

26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.

27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none;

28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.

FairMormon tries to hand wave that away by saying that God can change his mind later. But if God calls something a whoredom and an abomination before him, why would he ever change his mind about that? It isn't like changing his mind about wearing a blue shirt one day and a red shirt the next. If something is an abomination to God, it would always be an abomination.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X