Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jesus decided not to come again because Joseph Smith died too early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Dioxide wrote: It is clear from the statement that Joseph Smith really did not understand the answer he was given so he was left to his own to draw his own conclusions.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Then he should have kept his lying mouth shut til he got clarification.

Right. And Moses should have kept his cursed hands in his stupid pockets instead of striking the rock for water.

But hey, what are you going to do about it Cow Poke?

-7up

Comment

Originally posted by seven7up View Post
      Carbon Dioxide wrote: It is clear from the statement that Joseph Smith really did not understand the answer he was given so he was left to his own to draw his own conclusions.
      IN CONTEXT, there is SO MUCH that Smith got wrong, and bungled, and... sheesh!

Right. And Moses should have kept his cursed hands in his stupid pockets instead of striking the rock for water.

But hey, what are you going to do about it Cow Poke?

-7up
      Yeah, and that bar that Moses set up in the hotel that he owned.....

Smith was a fraud -- he comes up with these "revelations" that even he doesn't follow. Even Emma had better sense than Smith.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hmmmmm.... it's not about "everybody's doing it"... it's about the Truth coming out ----
        As demonstrated by this thread, it is a distorted and incomplete "truth", therefore not really the truth at all.

It does. You just deny it. Isn't Smith supposed to "help Jesus" "check people into heaven"? Perhaps you can set me straight on the notion that nobody gets into Heaven without Smith "OK'ing" it.
        That is like saying that anybody who imagines St. Peter at the gates of heaven WORSHIPS St. Peter. Do you really think that kind of tactic is fair or accurate?

So, sure. I'd love to set you straight in your foolish hypocrisy , straw men, and misrepresentations. And it will come out again demonstrating how your tactics are not about truth or fairness.

For starters, those that are familiar with Brigham Young's style recognize his frequent use of hyperbole. Young did not believe, and neither do LDS, that there is actually a signed certificate in order to enter heaven. His description is a poetic device. For example, when Isaiah wrote that the faithful would mount up on wings of eagles, he was not implying that unless candidates for heaven could produce feathery growths between their shoulder blades they would not get in. This was poetic imagery. The point is that in order to enter heaven, one must accept all truth; including the truth revealed by Joseph Smith.

Brigham Young's teaching about Joseph being subordinate to Christ is clear. Even in that very same discourse he explained that Joseph, "will never cease his operations, under the directions of the Son of God".

This all falls under a similar concept that Christ himself taught:

"Ye [the apostles] are they which have continued with me in my temptations. And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; that ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel."
        (Luke 22:28-30; see also Matthew 19:28.)

Yeah, we shouldn't use TRUTH and FACTS and your Church's own history in exposing Mormonism... that is SO unfair and ... um... "desperate".
        You expose yourselves. Yes. And as can clearly be seen, your methods are desperate and deceptive. Look how you attempted to double down on the assertion that Mormons supposedly worship Joseph Smith. Your accusations are a disgrace.

-7up

Comment

IN CONTEXT, there is SO MUCH that Smith got wrong, and bungled, and... sheesh!
          And what was that ... exactly?

When I say "exactly", I mean it. Present your case in a clear and precise way.

Yeah, and that bar that Moses set up in the hotel that he owned.....
          Smith was a fraud -- he comes up with these "revelations" that even he doesn't follow. Even Emma had better sense than Smith.
          Typical. You lose on this issue so you jump to the next. But don't be shy.

Go ahead. Present your case in detail. What is your new accusation Cow Poke? Please share with the audience because these last two were so convincing. When you lose that one, will you jump to another ... and another... and another?

Feel free to kick against the spikes.

-7up

Comment

As demonstrated by this thread, it is a distorted and incomplete "truth", therefore not really the truth at all.
            You don't even know what you're talking about.

You expose yourselves. Yes. And as can clearly be seen, your methods are desperate and deceptive.
            Yeah, quoting your Church's website, and exposing the nonsense like God would kill Emma for not going along with Smith's sexual fantasies.... That's just GOOFY.

Look how you attempted to double down on the assertion that Mormons supposedly worship Joseph Smith.
            I didn't "attempt" --- your adoration of Smith is like NOTHING I've ever seen toward any of the REAL apostles or prophets. Who of them set THEMSELVES up as "the called"? Who of them came out of the background of trickery and deceit like Smith? I bet you shake uncontrollably when defending Smith.

Your accusations are a disgrace.
            Let's start with your best case --- what "accusation" have I made that's a disgrace?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Feel free to kick against the spikes.

Wow!

I mean... SHEESH!!!!

Comment

How could Smith NOT know what the Lord revealed to him?

If he is prophesying in the name of the Lord, he is saying that the Lord directly told him something. If that something did not come true, then that means Smith was lying about it. He didn't actually hear from the Lord.

And the bible says that anyone who says they are prophesying in the name of the Lord and it doesn't come true, is a false prophet. A liar.

So we know that Smith was a liar and a false prophet. Why do you guys still follow his teachings?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  How could Smith NOT know what the Lord revealed to him?

The Lord did not reveal it to him, even though that is what Joseph wanted.

And the bible says that anyone who says they are prophesying in the name of the Lord and it doesn't come true, is a false prophet. A liar.
                  Do you believe that Jonah was a false prophet and a liar?

-7up

Comment

The Lord did not reveal it to him, even though that is what Joseph wanted.
                    so he lied about it?

Do you believe that Jonah was a false prophet and a liar?

-7up
                    No because he prophesied that if they did not repent they would be destroyed. They repented.

Comment

So 7up. is your standard argument "well, your prophets and church are just as bad as the LDS prophets and church!" ?

Comment

7up: Look how you attempted to double down on the assertion that Mormons supposedly worship Joseph Smith.

I didn't "attempt" ---- your adoration of Smith is like NOTHING I've ever seen toward any of the REAL apostles or prophets.

What is your evidence that we "worship" Joseph Smith?

-7up

Comment

7up: Look how you attempted to double down on the assertion that Mormons supposedly worship Joseph Smith.
                          If he is not, indeed, a true prophet, your entire religion falls apart. Besides Jesus, who is there about which the same thing can be said?

Comment

...No because he prophesied that if they did not repent they would be destroyed. They repented.
                            What Bible version are you basing that on? Thanks.
                            "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven...." Joseph Smith

Comment

No because he prophesied that if they did not repent they would be destroyed. They repented.
                              Actually, Jonah did not prophecy any such thing, he only prophecied the destruction of Nineveh in 40 days. He still wasn't a false prophet or a liar though, as Jer 18:7-8 applied to the situation at hand. According to Jer 18:7-8 prophecies about nations and/or kingdoms being destroyed are conditional upon the willingness of the people of that nation/kingdom to repent of their evil ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                                Actually, Jonah did not prophecy any such thing, he only prophecied the destruction of Nineveh in 40 days. He still wasn't a false prophet or a liar though, as Jer 18:7-8 applied to the situation at hand. According to Jer 18:7-8 prophecies about nations and/or kingdoms being destroyed are conditional upon the willingness of the people of that nation/kingdom to repent of their evil ways.
                                Jonah preached what God told him to preach, but because of the repentance, God....

Source: Jonah 3

10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

© Copyright Original Source

So, no, Johah did not lie.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X