Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Internet is Destroying the LDS Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NRA-Jeff View Post
    If you aren't bashing LDSism in the hope that you can make a sale for your brand of Christianity,
    That's just plain goofy.

then why ARE you bashing it?
    Because I sincerely believe your "prophet" is phoney, your Book of Mormon is a work of fiction, and millions of people are being suckered by your Church's deception.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That is good, because your preaching should always tie back to that foundation.
      It does.

Also good is the fact that the LDS church hasn't changed its claim regarding fundamentals from what Joseph Smith stated.
      That's debatable.

No doctrine in the gospel is more important than the Atonement of Jesus Christ. If the gospel were compared to a wheel, the Atonement would be the hub and all other doctrines would be the spokes emanating from the hub. As the Prophet Joseph Smith declared, “The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 121).
      https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrines...hrist?lang=eng
      Well, yeah, you GOT to get SOME things right in order to sucker people into your beliefs! It would be SILLY to lead with "Our Church was founded by a 'prophet' who found some gold plates, kinda like he used to find "treasure" using seer stones, and translated them, though we have varying stories of HOW he translated them, and nobody could see them and the angel took them back, and he instituted polygamy which was an abomination in the resulting Book of Mormon, and his wife opposed it, but he claimed God threatened to destroy her if she didn't go along with this polygamy scam which was later repealed......"
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So you're denying that you want to make a sale for your version of Jesus?
        "a sale"

Comment

No doctrine in the gospel is more important than the Atonement of Jesus Christ. If the gospel were compared to a wheel, the Atonement would be the hub and all other doctrines would be the spokes emanating from the hub. As the Prophet Joseph Smith declared, “The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 121).
          https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrines...hrist?lang=eng
          Meh --- I think the resurrection is the "hub", because without it, the atonement is useless.

Source: 1 Cor 15

[12]*Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? [13]*But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: [14]*And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. [15]*Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. [16]*For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: [17]*And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. [18]*Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. [19]*If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

© Copyright Original Source

HOWEVER, in all fairness, it's kinda hard to argue as it can become a "chicken or the egg" thing....

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            That's just plain goofy.
            I agree that it seems pretty goofy to be bashing LDSism in the hope that you can make a sale for your brand of Christianity, but you must have SOME motive, right? So why can't your motive be the noble cause of "winning souls for Jesus" ? If not that, doesn't any other motive or agenda kind of pale in comparison, and seem rather petty? Why not give yourself the benefit of the doubt, and claim that it's the zeal borne of the Great Commission that drives you?

Because I sincerely believe your "prophet" is phoney, your Book of Mormon is a work of fiction, and millions of people are being suckered by your Church's deception.
            Is that the only reason or motivation behind the bashing? Couldn't the expression of such feelings be the manifestation of a sincere desire to convert--to what you feel to be the "real" Jesus--those who you see as believers in the "phoney" prophet and the "fictional" book?
            "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven...." Joseph Smith

Comment

Meh --- I think the resurrection is the "hub", because without it, the atonement is useless.
              HOWEVER, in all fairness, it's kinda hard to argue as it can become a "chicken or the egg" thing....
              Without Christ's Atonement which makes the remission of sins possible, resurrection isn't really so wonderful, but Paul did go to the trouble of specifically mentioning the resurrection when he stated the parts of the gospel that are of chief importance (in 1 Cor. 15), so both are essential. But I still believe that if one is preeminent, it's the Atonement.
              "The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven...." Joseph Smith

Comment

Without Christ's Atonement which makes the remission of sins possible, resurrection isn't really so wonderful, but Paul did go to the trouble of specifically mentioning the resurrection when he stated the parts of the gospel that are of chief importance (in 1 Cor. 15), so both are essential. But I still believe that if one is preeminent, it's the Atonement.
                No argument here, Jeff --- the Resurrection doesn't mean a lot without the Atonement, and the Atonement is useless without the Resurrection. I don't see any point in arguing about this.

Comment

I agree that it seems pretty goofy to be bashing LDSism
                  Ah, the good ol' Jeffonian "let me dishonestly misrepresent what you said cause I can't really make a point on my own" nonsense.

in the hope that you can make a sale for your brand of Christianity,
                  "A sale" equates to "cheap grace", Jeff --- THAT is goofy.

but you must have SOME motive, right? So why can't your motive be the noble cause of "winning souls for Jesus" ?
                  In real life, I'm a personal soul winner. Here on Tweb, in the MORMON Forum, I expose Mormonism for the fraud that it is.

If not that, doesn't any other motive or agenda kind of pale in comparison, and seem rather petty? Why not give yourself the benefit of the doubt, and claim that it's the zeal borne of the Great Commission that drives you?
                  I seek to win people to Christ in Real Life, Jeff, and to lead them away from false prophets and religions where necessary.

Is that the only reason or motivation behind the bashing? Couldn't the expression of such feelings be the manifestation of a sincere desire to convert--to what you feel to be the "real" Jesus--those who you see as believers in the "phoney" prophet and the "fictional" book?
                  I'm fine with the way I expressed it. Thanks.

Comment

Claiming a "sale" involves the exchange of goods and service for payment or other goods and services. We get no goods or services for bringing a nonbeliever to Christ, so there is no "sale" to speak of.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I went through this whole thread and was surprised that nobody noted that Mattsson, who holds a position analogous to a Cardinal in the Mormon church, never heard of, or investigated till very late, the claims about Joseph Smith's polygamy, and other historical coverups. How do you get to that position of influence in a major organized religious movement (over 15 million adherents) and not know that kind of stuff, or not be bothered to look into it much earlier? That's really frightening. Makes you wonder who else that high up (or higher) has little clue about the embarrassing details of Mormon past history. That Mattsson would stay after coming to his new found revelations is just a testimony to how powerful a hold religion (without reason) can have on people. Makes you wonder if historical ignorance is a widespread issue among high ranking organized religious leaders, or if Mormonism lends itself to this type of ear plugging. Its one thing if you're basing your beliefs on religions that are thousands of years old, when so much information has been lost over the millennia. Its another thing when the religion hasn't even reached its bicentennial yet.

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
                        Its another thing when the religion hasn't even reached its bicentennial yet.
                        And this is a religion where its early leaders were very much into writing things down for posterity (journals/diaries, speech transcriptions, etc.)
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Ah, the good ol' Jeffonian "let me dishonestly misrepresent what you said cause I can't really make a point on my own" nonsense.
                          That is the risk you incur when you derogate as "just plain goofy" what another poster stated in good faith.
                          I was hoping that when I stopped by this forum to see how things were going, I would find that people would be treating each other better, like how it was around the time I left. I am sad to see that apparently things have devolved back toward being a contest to see who can insult others the most. That got old, especially after OC died, but it seemed to me to have improved. Now I see things returning to the "good" old days, and that saddens me.

"A sale" equates to "cheap grace", Jeff --- THAT is goofy.
                          I think you, Sparko, and BTC read more into it than was intended. I was merely referring to CO2's Honda salesman metaphor.

In real life, I'm a personal soul winner. Here on Tweb, in the MORMON Forum, I expose Mormonism for the fraud that it is.
                          So it's a case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde--leading two disparate lives?

I seek to win people to Christ in Real Life, Jeff, and to lead them away from false prophets and religions where necessary.
                          It's lamentable that what we seek to do in real life, we don't seek to do in Internet forums.

Comment

That is the risk you incur when you derogate as "just plain goofy" what another poster stated in good faith.
                            Have fun, Jeff. I see no value in discussions with you.

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
                              I went through this whole thread and was surprised that nobody noted that Mattsson, who holds a position analogous to a Cardinal in the Mormon church, never heard of, or investigated till very late, the claims about Joseph Smith's polygamy, and other historical coverups.
                              I noticed that right off the bat as well, and wondered similarly to you, but I didn't mention it.

How do you get to that position of influence in a major organized religious movement (over 15 million adherents) and not know that kind of stuff, or not be bothered to look into it much earlier? That's really frightening. Makes you wonder who else that high up (or higher) has little clue about the embarrassing details of Mormon past history.
                              I dunno, but if you're right, it might shoot some holes in the conspiracy theory that the leaders know all the embarrassing secrets and are keeping them from the public. :)

That Mattsson would stay after coming to his new found revelations is just a testimony to how powerful a hold religion (without reason) can have on people. Makes you wonder if historical ignorance is a widespread issue among high ranking organized religious leaders, or if Mormonism lends itself to this type of ear plugging. Its one thing if you're basing your beliefs on religions that are thousands of years old, when so much information has been lost over the millennia. Its another thing when the religion hasn't even reached its bicentennial yet.
                              That is an interesting hypothesis. Do you have a low opinion of all religions, but you are more understanding regarding the gullibility of adherents to the ones that are very old?

Comment

Have fun, Jeff. I see no value in discussions with you.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X