Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Back in the Mormon Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    All you need to do is look at the millions of people who sit in churches where the bible isn't even opened and the "sermon" is nothing more than feel-good ear-tickling.
    We usually just have the scriptures of the day read to us, followed by a homily. In some fairness, my tradition developed well before the printing press, so very few in the congregation could be expected to have a copy on hand. On the other hand, I've yet to encounter "feel-good ear-tickling" in it.
    If these folk were into the word then these churches would be failing instead of growing.

It's Laodicea, folks.
    I think you missed a negative in there, somewhere.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Well, there's that thing were Jesus said "go and tell".
      Sure. It IS possible to "go and tell" without getting into chapter & verse, however. As far as I can tell, most of the world was evangelized without that.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        We usually just have the scriptures of the day read to us, followed by a homily. In some fairness, my tradition developed well before the printing press, so very few in the congregation could be expected to have a copy on hand. On the other hand, I've yet to encounter "feel-good ear-tickling" in it.

I think you missed a negative in there, somewhere.
        Um, nope.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The Orthodox method of conversion is less "see verse x, y, and z...." than "come and see."
          Come and see for yourself that God is good first contact stuff. Establishing a person so that he can stay where he belongs takes some work by people who have been taken to that level, and those people develop to the point where they too can say "come and see for yourself that God is good." People who haven't been educated are left vulnerable to every false doctrine that tickles their ears*. People untrained in discipleship are getting nothing that is an improvement on what they can get elsewhere. And people of whom no demands are made don't demand anything of themselves. Outcomes are the kind of things that DesertBerean's link portrays.

ETA

I see that MossRose also mentions ear tickling.
          Last edited by tabibito; 06-06-2019, 01:48 PM.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Sure. It IS possible to "go and tell" without getting into chapter & verse, however.
            Of course. Not really understanding your point.

As far as I can tell, most of the world was evangelized without that.
            Well, they didn't have "chapter and verse" prior to ~ AD 1550.

Do you have a particular aversion to using, say, the "Roman Road" in evangelism?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
              Come and see for yourself that God is good first contact stuff. Establishing a person so that he can stay where he belongs takes some work by people who have been taken to that level, and those people develop to the point where they too can say "come and see for yourself that God is good." People who haven't been educated are left vulnerable to every false doctrine that tickles their ears. People untrained in discipleship are getting nothing that is an improvement on what they can get elsewhere. And people of whom no demands are made don't demand anything of themselves. Outcomes are the kind of things that DesertBerean's link portrays.
              Well, catechism *is* education, done by someone who *has* been taken to that level.

sigpic

Comment

Of course. Not really understanding your point.

Well, they didn't have "chapter and verse" prior to ~ AD 1550.

Do you have a particular aversion to using, say, the "Roman Road" in evangelism?
                Not really - I just don't think it's the only way. Although in our post-biblical world, what some book says is less likely to be taken as somehow authoritative. We should be different from the secular culture around us, and that should be a draw for those looking for something better than the world.

sigpic

Comment

Well, catechism *is* education, done by someone who *has* been taken to that level.
                  In which case, the Eastern church would seem to note that "come and see" doesn't cut it for the long haul? Catechising would involve a certain amount of word, chapter, and verse would it not?

Though I'm less excited about word, chapter, and verse than about knowing what the Bible has to say - knowing WCV is sort of useful in establishing some sort of credibility.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Um, nope.
                    Um,
                    Originally posted by mossy
                    If these folk were into the word then these churches would be failing instead of growing.
                    Don't you mean that if these folk were into the word, then these churches would be growing instead of failing?

sigpic

Comment

Not really - I just don't think it's the only way.
                      Neither do I, and I never said that I did.

Although in our post-biblical world, what some book says is less likely to be taken as somehow authoritative. We should be different from the secular culture around us, and that should be a draw for those looking for something better than the world.
                      Which is why I always think the most important aspect of evangelism is the Holy Spirit's involvement.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Um,
                        Don't you mean that if these folk were into the word, then these churches would be growing instead of failing?
                        I think she means like the Joel Osteen type churches --- if "the people" were really "in the Word", Joel Osteen wouldn't be able to draw them with his ear tickling.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          In which case, the Eastern church would seem to note that "come and see" doesn't cut it for the long haul? Catechising would involve a certain amount of word, chapter, and verse would it not?
                          Yes, "come and see" is the initial draw. Chatechism involves more a synthesis of what word, chapter, and verse teach.
                          Though I'm less excited about word, chapter, and verse than about knowing what the Bible has to say - knowing WCV is sort of useful in establishing some sort of credibility.
                          WCV?

sigpic

Comment

Neither do I, and I never said that I did.
                            Not trying to imply that you did - it's just rather the preferred method in Evangelical circles, in my experience (except when working with Jews, when the "Jerusalem Road" is preferred).
                            Which is why I always think the most important aspect of evangelism is the Holy Spirit's involvement.

sigpic

Comment

I think she means like the Joel Osteen type churches --- if "the people" were really "in the Word", Joel Osteen wouldn't be able to draw them with his ear tickling.
                              Oh. Thought she was referring to mainline type churches, which are indeed tickling ears and failing.

sigpic

Comment

Um,
                                I think she meant that if the people were into the word, then they would see that what their liberal churches were teaching them is false and they would leave.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X