Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Dear Mormons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Mormons

Become a God of a planet?
    Seriously?You see no problem with that?
    "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
    "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
    Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

Dear Christians,

Eat a decomposed corpse's flesh and drink his long-since-dissipated blood?
      Seriously? You see no problem with that?

--excerpt from "The Cerealman's Guide to Debate and Rhetoric"
      Last edited by fm93; 05-03-2014, 10:21 AM.
      Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by square_peg View Post
        Dear Christians,

What!? How did you know we christians were cannibals? I guess you mormons deserve more credit than I thought.
        Anyways my question was a serious one but thanks for the ignorance though, I look forward to you knocking on my door next week just to play cat and mouse.
        "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
        Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

I'm not a Mormon, and your question was most certainly not serious--or at the very least, not at all thought-out well.

In any case, I'd appreciate it if you took the time to carefully reflect about how you felt about my post and pinpoint exactly what's wrong with it. Then you might begin to understand what was wrong with your post.
          Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

I'm not a Mormon, and your question was most certainly not serious--or at the very least, not at all thought-out well.

In any case, I'd appreciate it if you took the time to carefully reflect about how you felt about my post and pinpoint exactly what's wrong with it. Then you might begin to understand what was wrong with your post.
            Apologies for calling you mormon, but if you wanna assume how my tone was when posting that then that's on you.

Comment

Dear Christians,

Yes, I often boast that "I'm a member of a cult who believes in eating flesh, drinking blood and dead people coming back to life".

I can, of course, back those with Scripture, by which I stand.

The question on Kolob is, can Mormons do the same thing?

ETA: I proudly stand by these assertions you mocked (mocked for purposes of argument, of course). I suspect Mormons, however, wish the Kolob thing had never been mentioned, as is discussed in FairMormon.org.
              Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-03-2014, 02:52 PM.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerealman View Post
                Apologies for calling you mormon, but if you wanna assume how my tone was when posting that then that's on you.
                I don't need to "assume" anything--it was already pretty clear. Right from the get-go you presented your question in an absolutely incredulous tone of voice (i.e. "Seriously?"), as if the belief's falsity was the most obvious thing in the world and that Mormons were utterly stupid for holding to it. It comes off as subtle mocking, and is incredibly insulting and demeaning. Furthermore, your own religion is founded upon the belief that a dead man came back to life, which to outsiders doesn't sound any less ridiculous than the Mormon doctrine sounds to you. But besides that, even a quick Google search pulls up a few websites claiming that many Mormons in fact don't hold to that belief. For instance:

Do Latter-day Saints believe that they will “get their own planet”?
                No. This idea is not taught in Latter-day Saint scripture, nor is it a doctrine of the Church. This misunderstanding stems from speculative comments unreflective of scriptural doctrine.
                http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-101#C14
                Latter-day Saints' doctrine of exaltation is often similarly reduced in media to a cartoonish image of people receiving their own planets...few Latter-day Saints would identify with caricatures of having their own planet...
                https://www.lds.org/topics/becoming-like-god?lang=eng
                So this evidently isn't a universal belief (no pun intended) among Mormons.

Comment

So this evidently isn't a universal belief (no pun intended) among Mormons.
                  And so are the other hundreds of questions asked of mormonism, and yet at times it's clear in the text that's exactly what they "should" believe.

I don't need to "assume" anything--it was already pretty clear. Right from the get-go you presented your question in an absolutely incredulous tone of voice (i.e. "Seriously?"), as if the belief's falsity was the most obvious thing in the world and that Mormons were utterly stupid for holding to it. It comes off as subtle mocking, and is incredibly insulting and demeaning.
                  Then let my word choice be the problem don't act like you knew my tone when I posted that.

Comment

And so are the other hundreds of questions asked of mormonism, and yet at times it's clear in the text that's exactly what they "should" believe.
                    What, exactly, gives you the authority to declare what a religious group that you don't belong to "should" believe? Moreoever, what's the authority on what your own religious group "should" believe? After all, there are plenty of denominations within Christianity arguing that the other churches are all wrong and that their own interpretation is "what the Bible clearly says."

Then let my word choice be the problem don't act like you knew my tone when I posted that.
                    Very well then, but I'm just saying that your wording and perceived tone were almost identical to that of the typical YouTube atheist.

Comment

What, exactly, gives you the authority to declare what a religious group that you don't belong to "should" believe? Moreoever, what's the authority on what your own religious group "should" believe? After all, there are plenty of denominations within Christianity arguing that the other churches are all wrong and that their own interpretation is "what the Bible clearly says."
                      I think that the problem is that the Mormons claim that all other religions are apostate, and Smith was chosen by God to set things straight. One would expect a "clear trumpet", but right from the start there was confusion and chaos. Smith did, in FACT, claim that all other religions were wrong....

Source: Joseph Smith, "History of the Church, Vol. 1, page 5-6.

"My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right — and which I should join. I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong, and the personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in His sight: that those professors were all corrupt . . ."

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Very well then, but I'm just saying that your wording and perceived tone were almost identical to that of the typical YouTube atheist.
                        The irony being your little statement about denominations putting down other denominations in Christianity is very YT atheist like.
                        That being besides the point, am I saying what they should believe?No, I never said or claimed I was from the beginning if I did please show me where I did.

Comment

To be honest, that was one of a many pronged issue that caused me to leave Mormonism. Even when I first learned about (several years than I care to admit) I couldn't even stomach it.
                          I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Dear Christians,

Are you even a theist?
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I think that the problem is that the Mormons claim that all other religions are apostate, and Smith was chosen by God to set things straight. One would expect a "clear trumpet", but right from the start there was confusion and chaos. Smith did, in FACT, claim that all other religions were wrong....
                              That may be the case, but Cerealman's response is still overly simplistic. After all, scriptures say that Jesus was God himself, who of all beings should have the 100% accurate truth, and yet there was confusion and chaos in Christianity even in the early years.

The irony being your little statement about denominations putting down other denominations in Christianity is very YT atheist like.
                              Not at all. If I was acting like the typical YouTube atheist, I'd be making unwarranted claims and lame insults like "The mere existence of denominations disproves Christianity. Retarded xians." But that's not what I was doing. I made a valid point--that definitively declaring "this is what their holy book says and they should all believe it" is dangerous, because personal interpretations can offer differ wildly and can be quite subjective.

That being besides the point, am I saying what they should believe?No, I never said or claimed I was from the beginning if I did please show me where I did.
                              You said "it's clear in the text that's exactly what they 'should' believe" in reference to the having-your-own-planet-after-death issue.
                              Last edited by fm93; 05-03-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X