Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christ in Ancient Americas - A Compelling Evidence of the BOM's Authenticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill the Cat
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yup. Just present what you think is your strongest piece of evidence (or two). We can go from there.
    Methinks sir Black Knight is going to shuffle off somewhere else to claim he is invincible...

Leave a comment:

• ke7ejx
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    They are STILL processing the tremendous number of remains and doing DNA......

oh, wait....

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I'm kinda hoping he brings up the massive battle on Hill Cumorah.
    They are STILL processing the tremendous number of remains and doing DNA......

oh, wait....

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Maybe we can get to the burning in the bosom.

Or the non-existent gold plates.
    Or the kinderhook scandal.
    Or the Bank fraud.

If "Christ in ancient Americas" is his best defense of Mormonism.....
    I'm kinda hoping he brings up the massive battle on Hill Cumorah.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Yup. Just present what you think is your strongest piece of evidence (or two). We can go from there.
    Maybe we can get to the burning in the bosom.

Or the non-existent gold plates.
    Or the kinderhook scandal.
    Or the Bank fraud.

If "Christ in ancient Americas" is his best defense of Mormonism.....

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    We are just against elephant hurls and blogging. This is a discussion site and the only way to have a real debate is to keep the posts concise and short. People can always move on to more points later.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    We are just against elephant hurls and blogging. This is a discussion site and the only way to have a real debate is to keep the posts concise and short. People can always move on to more points later.
    But, to paraphrase an old expression, "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with horsie poo". And lots of it!

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    There are two separate arguments contained in this faulty statement. First, is the presentist viewpoint, and the second is the conclusion of engaging in human sacrifices. Neither account provides any information regarding human sacrifices. That is an inference the respondent provides within the context of comparing the two accounts. Therefore, there is no need to address this. What will be addressed is the first part of the response to determine whether or not the comparison of the two accounts are reflective of the same event and person of that event.

In Pedro de Cieza de Leon's account, we read:

Things being in this state, the sun, shining very brightly, came forth from the island of Titicaca, in the great lake of the Collao, at which every one rejoiced
    Having read the original native American story (if that is what it was), I can state quite confidently that Christ was not crucified during Noah's time - a necessary condition for the story in the book of Mormon to have a connection with the native American story (if that is what it was).

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Dante View Post
    Out of curiousity I tried using a word count tool to check how many words/characters I've used against his second attempt, and I've only used about 1824 words; 10,685 characters, in my rebuttals of both parts 1 & 2, combined.
    I think the only time we are concerned about the word count is when somebody gets nearly obscenely verbose, and does so over multiple posts, and is not really engaging in debate in good faith.

You've done an excellent job rebutting him, but he just blogs on. He needs to do that on his own dime.

Leave a comment:

• Dante
    replied
    Out of curiousity I tried using a word count tool to check how many words/characters I've used against his second attempt, and I've only used about 1824 words; 10,685 characters, in my rebuttals of both parts 1 & 2, combined.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Moderated By: Sparko

From our rules - please read them all, you agreed to them.

Post Length Considerations

The maximum post length is 24K characters not including quoted material. Do not use multiple posts to circumvent this restriction. Please keep your points concise and limit the number of major points made in a debate/discussion to 1 or 2 per post max as this encourages discourse. Rebuttal posts get undesirably lengthy from both a writer's and a reader's perspective when there are too many points to address. Additionally, please allow the other person to respond to your post before making additional substantive posts and points directed towards that same person (i.e. back-to-back responses to a single post are not allowed.)

There is an edit button available for only 45 minutes after you make your post if you need to make additional comments or changes. It is best to make sure you have said everything you wish to say prior to posting and make use of the "preview post" option to locate any formatting problems. However, please do not make any edits to your post if someone has already replied to it. If you need assistance with this please do not hesitate to contact a moderator or administrator.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    This Gish gallop is so chock full of blatant errors that even the most cursory of examinations would expose it is difficult to even know where to start.

ETA: I see others have already noticed the similarities to the notorious tactic used by the late Duane Gish. Then again it is pretty obvious.
    His voluminous arguments are obviously intended to obscure and confuse rather than enlighten. Compare it to Dante's efficient clarity.

Leave a comment:

• Dante
    replied
    Fortunately I've enough patience to separate the wheat from the chaff, and that is a lot of chaff.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by TimothyRB View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]35578[/ATTACH]
    This Gish gallop is so chock full of blatant errors that even the most cursory of examinations would expose it is difficult to even know where to start.

ETA: I see others have already noticed the similarities to the notorious tactic used by the late Duane Gish. Then again it is pretty obvious.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rogue06; 03-10-2019, 06:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X