Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Kirtland Bank mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kirtland Bank mess

Sparko said something in another thread that reminded me of the Kirtland Bank scandal.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Smith was all over the place with his nonsense. Wake up dude! Read your own religion's literature with a bit of skepticism and ask some hard questions. Don't just look for ways to excuse the obvious clues that Smith was a conman who decided he could live the high life by inventing a religion and getting a bunch of hicks to follow him around.
    While many of Smith's followers were going through tough economic times, Smith came up with the idea to have his own bank to "help" his followers.

Now, in Ministry, I learned EARLY ON that the two biggest problems for ministers is "sex and money". Smith seemed to get wrapped up in both.

PART of the reason that Smith had so many red-hot-mad former followers was because of the way he SCAMMED them, either taking their wives, or cheating them out of their money.

I've been to the "Temple" at Kirtland, Oh, and it was very historically interesting, indeed. Right NEAR there was the "bank" Smith owned where he SUPPOSEDLY had vaults full of gold or valuables that he would allow his followers to "heft" in sacks to know there was "something" weighty in there (Sparko likes to call it bags of rocks) but he would not, apparently, ever let them SEE the gold or valuables --- just like he allowed people to "heft" the golden plates (all covered up) but they couldn't SEE them.

So, WHY did Smith need a "bank", and why would God allow this "bank" to go so horribly wrong?

Here is FairMormon.org's best spin on the situation (bolding mine):

Source: FairMormon.org

The Kirtland Safety Society was an unwise venture that was probably illegal, though legal counsel was divided on that matter at the time. The intent of Church leaders does not seem to have been to break the law, but to solve a vexing problem which thousands of others also faced. The failure of the bank was not due to mismanagement or a desire to enrich individuals, but due to the relatively fragile nature of the time’s financial infrastructure, and the economic conditions of 1837. The lack of a charter was the KSS's biggest weakness and the most ill-advised decision connected with it. Arguably, even had the bank possessed a charter, the outcome would have been little different, save that the Church leaders would have suffered fewer legal problems and harassment.

The Kirtland Safety Society is an excellent example of why Latter-day Saints do not put their trust in men, but in God. It also demonstrates that the Saints will continue to support fallible men as prophets of God.

© Copyright Original Source

So, the "Saints" do not put their trust in men, but they trusted SMITH with this crazy BANKING scheme, and the citation concludes with (paraphrased) "they're dumb enough to STILL trust fallible men"...

And I want to get into that.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

It's hard to believe that such a bad conman as Smith could have fooled anyone. But he did.

Comment

It's hard to believe that such a bad conman as Smith could have fooled anyone. But he did.
      Sparko! I found a diamond in my back yard! Please paypal me $5,000 and I'll keep it in safe storage in your name in a cardboard box in my closet. You can come visit me any time and I'll let you heft the cardboard box!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Sparko! I found a diamond in my back yard! Please paypal me $5,000 and I'll keep it in safe storage in your name in a cardboard box in my closet. You can come visit me any time and I'll let you heft the cardboard box!
        OK! It's a deal. I will pay you $5,000 in gold, but I will keep it in a special box here at my house, where you can come and heft it to make sure it is real. We both win!

Comment

OK! It's a deal. I will pay you $5,000 in gold, but I will keep it in a special box here at my house, where you can come and heft it to make sure it is real. We both win!
          I'll tell you what ... make me a 32nd degree Mason overnight, and you got yerseff a deal!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I'll tell you what ... make me a 32nd degree Mason overnight, and you got yerseff a deal!
            Done!

Comment

WHO KNEW!!!! Kirtland Bank wasn't the ONLY banking scheme run by the Mormons!

http://www.mormonmoney.com/#

Comment

amazing.

btw: still waiting for your $5,000 to purchase this here box of roc-- er gold.

Comment

It appears the Mormon Church has ALWAYS been about MONEY.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X