Announcement

Collapse

Judaism Guidelines

Theists only.

Shalom!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the world religion of Judaism in general and also its relationship to Christianity. This forum is generally for theists only. Non-theists (eg, atheistic Jews) may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Kosher Kill Challenged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kosher Kill Challenged

Denmark places animal rights before religion.

Denmark’s government has brought in a ban on the religious slaughter of animals for the production of halal and kosher meat, after years of campaigning from welfare activists.

The change to the law, announced last week and effective as of yesterday, has been called “anti-Semitism” by Jewish leaders and “a clear interference in religious freedom” by the non-profit group Danish Halal.

European regulations require animals to be stunned before they are slaughtered, but grants exemptions on religious grounds. For meat to be considered kosher under Jewish law or halal under Islamic law, the animal must be conscious when killed.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Denmark places animal rights before religion.

Denmark’s government has brought in a ban on the religious slaughter of animals for the production of halal and kosher meat, after years of campaigning from welfare activists.

The change to the law, announced last week and effective as of yesterday, has been called “anti-Semitism” by Jewish leaders and “a clear interference in religious freedom” by the non-profit group Danish Halal.

European regulations require animals to be stunned before they are slaughtered, but grants exemptions on religious grounds. For meat to be considered kosher under Jewish law or halal under Islamic law, the animal must be conscious when killed.
    Bah, the Dutch. Least they had more integrity back when they were worshiping Odin. (...that was sarcasm.)
    Last edited by TimelessTheist; 02-19-2014, 06:33 PM.
    Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

I thought the point of killing animals this way was to give them a quick and relatively painless death that fulfills the requirements for humaneness and compassion, as opposed to strangling them to death. I guess it goes against tradition, but if there is a more humane and compassionate way to kill animals, then why not go for it?
      "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

What is the basis in Jewish kashrut law for requiring the animal to be conscious when killed?
        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

I was wondering about that too.
          "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              What is the basis in Jewish kashrut law for requiring the animal to be conscious when killed?
              To be a proper shechita, the animal must be healthy, uninjured, and free of disease (along with the other qualifications). According to Jewish religious tradition, an animal that has been stunned has been injured, thus rendering them ineligible for shechita.

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
                I thought the point of killing animals this way was to give them a quick and relatively painless death that fulfills the requirements for humaneness and compassion, as opposed to strangling them to death. I guess it goes against tradition, but if there is a more humane and compassionate way to kill animals, then why not go for it?
                Wait...they strangle them? Oh, well that I might have a problem with....
                Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.

-Thomas Aquinas

I love to travel, But hate to arrive.

-Hernando Cortez

What is the good of experience if you do not reflect?

-Frederick 2, Holy Roman Emperor

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                  To be a proper shechita, the animal must be healthy, uninjured, and free of disease (along with the other qualifications). According to Jewish religious tradition, an animal that has been stunned has been injured, thus rendering them ineligible for shechita.
                  Thanks.
                  βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                  ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Sorry for not being clear. Their goal was to provide as quick and clean of a death possible. There are rules in the Bible against strangling animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
                      Sorry for not being clear. Their goal was to provide as quick and clean of a death possible. There are rules in the Bible against strangling animals.
                      It carried over into the New Testament as part of the Gentile Question for the Jerusalem Council in Acts 15.

[28]*For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; [29]*That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

as long as Denmark permits hunting, i see this law as anti-semitic and anti-muslim more than pro-animal rights.

Comment

Wouldn't slicing their throat and bleeding them to death be considered an injury too?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Wouldn't slicing their throat and bleeding them to death be considered an injury too?
                            I would guess that because slicing the throat is the killing injury, that doesn't count. I have respect for their traditions, while acknowledging that they don't always make sense from an outsider's point of view.

Comment

I would guess that because slicing the throat is the killing injury, that doesn't count. I have respect for their traditions, while acknowledging that they don't always make sense from an outsider's point of view.
                              well the stunning would be part of the killing injury too. And I do agree, we should have respect for another religion's beliefs and traditions and not try to force them to give them up (nudge nudge) right?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X