Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Muslims barred from traveling to Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslims barred from traveling to Mars

A Fatwa, or official ruling, has been issued by the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowment (GAIAE), led by Dr. Farooq Hamada, in the United Arab Emirates[1] forbidding Muslims from traveling to Mars. The ruling stated:
    "Such a one-way journey poses a real risk to life, and that can never be justified in Islam. There is a possibility that an individual who travels to planet Mars may not be able to remain alive there, and is more vulnerable to death."

They deem that such a move is so dangerous as to be essentially suicidal (or in the words of those issuing the fatwa, poses "a real risk to life" for "no righteous reason") and killing oneself is not permitted by Islam and those who take such a trip would therefore be liable to a "punishment similar to that of suicide in the Hereafter."

Apparently this isn't the only fatwa issued against Muslims going to Mars. Last year Sheikh Ali al Hemki, a member of Saudi Arabia's board of religious scholars issued a similar ruling stating that such a move does not conform to "responsible Muslim" practices and "will lead to the destruction of those who try."

1. located on the southeast end of the Arabian Peninsula on the Persian Gulf

Further Reading:

Muslims 'warned in Fatwa not to live on Mars'

Muslim leaders issue a fatwa against anyone living on MARS as there is 'no righteous reason' to be there

Fatwa forbids Muslims from traveling to Mars

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

If there were people to conquer there, and they had reasonable wealth, I have a feeling this would be a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      ...and killing oneself is not permitted by Islam...
      unless you take a certain number of infidels with you?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        unless you take a certain number of infidels with you?
        Basically that's how it works. Sadly.

Comment

Huh. In Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars Trilogy," there are quite a few Muslims on Mars.

Comment

Gosh, I don't think I care one way or another.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Gosh, I don't think I care one way or another.
              But you cared enough to say you didn't care

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I am not planning to go with muslims or without.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Is there a large demand for interstellar travels to Mars?

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                  "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                  Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post

I'm with you, GJ.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Me too neither.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                        Is there a large demand for interstellar travels to Mars?
                        There's a current, privately-funded organization trying to get such a trip off the ground. http://www.mars-one.com/ However, it's not "travel": the trip is one way. They're planning on setting up a permanent colony, but the colonists will not be able to return to earth.

And it's not "interstellar", that's travel to another solar system.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post

And it's not "interstellar", that's travel to another solar system.
                          That was originally a reference to parody musical but I got rid of the rest of the reference, oops.

ETA: evidently I got the quote wrong, too. This is why I have taken to saying "more or less" after quoting things without double checking

Look at this! Its rocket ship Potter! Starkid Potter! Moon shoes Potter! Traversing the galaxy for intergalactic travels to Pigfarts!
                          Last edited by thewriteranon; 02-19-2014, 09:12 PM.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                          Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                            That was originally a reference to parody musical but I got rid of the rest of the reference, oops.

ETA: evidently I got the quote wrong, too. This is why I have taken to saying "more or less" after quoting things without double checking
                            That's why I try to check quotes before I post them, because if I don't, I invariably butcher them.

Comment

Let's be real here. I just like the word interstellar better because the Ls look nice together.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X