Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Quran might predate Muhammad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
    It is a very broad consensus of critical scholars.
    Shuny, do you dispute the consensus of critical scholars on the dating of Paul's letters and the first gospel or not?
    אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Shuny, do you dispute the consensus of critical scholars on the dating of Paul's letters and the first gospel or not?
      Not conclusive, and not based on actual dating of texts. Earlier Q text possibly existed. Topic for another thread

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Not conclusive, and not based on actual dating of texts. Earlier Q text possibly existed. Topic for another thread
        Typical dodge. Go ahead and start another thread if you want to clarify your view.

Comment

I wanted to address the comment of "History is written by the winners." This is decidedly true of older academic historical research and writings, but contemporary history academics are definitely trying reevaluate older historical views, and consider more sources and new knowledge to write a better history.

Comment

I wanted to address the comment of "History is written by the winners." This is decidedly true of older academic historical research and writings, but contemporary history academics are definitely trying reevaluate older historical views, and consider more sources and new knowledge to write a better history.
            But if you want to have a discussion of academic positions, you should be aware of what the actual consensus of critical scholars is.

Comment

But if you want to have a discussion of academic positions, you should be aware of what the actual consensus of critical scholars is.
              I am perfectly aware of the consensus of critical scholars. I simply believe they are over stating the evidence.

Comment

I am perfectly aware of the consensus of critical scholars. I simply believe they are over stating the eidence.
                And your academic credentials to advance such a critique of the consensus of critical scholars? In other words, is there any reason someone should lend any credibility to your claim?

Comment

And your academic credentials to advance such a critique of the consensus of critical scholars? In other words, is there any reason someone should lend any credibility to your claim?
                  No problem, most critical scholars justify the traditional view of the Trinity, and I do not buy that either. I am not alone on this.

The bottom line is that there is a disagreement between scholars, and appealing to the authority of 'some critical scholars' does not resolve the question.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-20-2015, 01:30 PM.

Comment

No problem, most critical scholars justify the traditional view of the Trinity, and I do not buy that either.
                    lol, what?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      lol, what?
                      lol what?

Comment

No problem, most critical scholars justify the traditional view of the Trinity, and I do not buy that either. I am not alone on this.

The bottom line is that there is a disagreement between scholars, and appealing to the authority of 'some critical scholars' does not resolve the question.
                        The consensus of critical scholars is decidedly not an appeal to authority. Scholarship does not recognize any authority in these questions. Nor does the fact that most scholars do not propose a precise date reduce the strength of the scholarly consensus. Bart Ehrman has occasionally offered argumentation for a slightly pre-70 date, but is perhaps being progressively persuaded toward a post-70 date, which is the position I have always maintained. His dating of the letters of Paul also agrees with the scholarly consensus I have outlined above. It seems you have no credentials and have offered no reasons for critiquing the scholarly consensus. Your inability to correctly represent the Christian doctrine of the Trinity is unrelated to the work of historico-critical scholars but it might be related to your inability or lack of desire to credibly interact with the work of scholars.

Comment

The consensus of critical scholars is decidedly not an appeal to authority. Scholarship does not recognize any authority in these questions. Nor does the fact that most scholars do not propose a precise date reduce the strength of the scholarly consensus. Bart Ehrman has occasionally offered argumentation for a slightly pre-70 date, but is perhaps being progressively persuaded toward a post-70 date, which is the position I have always maintained. His dating of the letters of Paul also agrees with the scholarly consensus I have outlined above. It seems you have no credentials and have offered no reasons for critiquing the scholarly consensus. Your inability to correctly represent the Christian doctrine of the Trinity is unrelated to the work of historico-critical scholars but it might be related to your inability or lack of desire to credibly interact with the work of scholars.
                          From the course curriculum of Boston College.

Comment

The consensus of critical scholars is decidedly not an appeal to authority. Scholarship does not recognize any authority in these questions.
                            It is an appeal to authority when you challenge me that there is no other acceptable scholarly view of the present knowledge of the possible dates of the first gospels as I proposed a post 50 AD date. It is possible that the dates your 'some critical scholars' propose are true, but it by no means represents a dominate consensus of the dating of the gospels.

Nor does the fact that most scholars do not propose a precise date reduce the strength of the scholarly consensus.
                            The fact that there is no such dominant 'strength of consensus' agreement as cited reduces your claim of 'most critical scholar' support a pre 50 AD date.

Bart Ehrman has occasionally offered argumentation for a slightly pre-70 date, but is perhaps being progressively persuaded toward a post-70 date, which is the position I have always maintained. His dating of the letters of Paul also agrees with the scholarly consensus I have outlined above. It seems you have no credentials and have offered no reasons for critiquing the scholarly consensus.
                            There is a scholarly consensus for a post 70 AD date for the gospels, and post 50 AD date for Paul's letters.

Your inability to correctly represent the Christian doctrine of the Trinity is unrelated to the work of historico-critical scholars but it might be related to your inability or lack of desire to credibly interact with the work of scholars.
                            It is not a matter of correctly representing the Christian doctrine of the Trinity. I fully acknowledge and understand the doctrine of the Trinity as traditional Christians believe it. I just believe it is a version of polytheism to believe in a God is 'three distinctly separate persons.' Disagreement is not a matter of correct understanding. It is a difference of belief. For example: I gave the Jewish explanation of the Holy Spirit, which matches the Baha'i view.

You urged me to try to understand the different views of the Trinity. I do and I explained my view of the Trinity, which is compatable with the Jewish, Islamic and Baha'i view of God.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-20-2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

From the course curriculum of Boston College.
                              So far all you've done is cite views that agree with my characterization of the broad scholarly consensus.

Comment

So far all you've done is cite views that agree with my characterization of the broad scholarly consensus.
                                The broad scholarly basis you describe, which many scholars consider the later dates as the most realistic, not just broad, for the dating of the gospels and Paul's letters as the one I hold. You challenged my dates, because in 'your opinion' this view was different from the view of your 'some critical scholars' view that propose earlier dates. You may or may not be correct, but your challenge that my dating does not have a scholarly basis is without foundation.

I rest on the academic credentials of those I have cited, and I can easily cite more.
                                Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-20-2015, 06:27 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X