Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

siam (or any other Muslim), what brought you to this forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by siam View Post
    I used to be in an Islamic forum but had left....I was looking for it again when I found this forum. Islam is generally pluralistic and with a 1400 year history, there are many opinions, nuances and perspectives. It was interesting discussing with other Muslims...but then the forum became dominated with the Wahabi types---the ones that think their opinion is the only correct one...so I had left.

I am from the East and the discussions in the other threads are very Western-Centric---but that is ok, they are very interesting. Since the premises are based on Western thoughts/philosophies I am uncertain of my contribution to the conversations....but I do enjoy them.

I am not sure what to make of the "New" Atheists...the ones I had conversations with were Old (?) Atheists...the ones who were knowledge seekers. My conversations began because they were interested in the Quran/Islam (as knowledge---not for conversion)and were asking questions. They asked hard questions and I found it fun to explore for answers together... I don't know how they behaved towards Christians but there were a few Atheists/Agnostics who were ex-Christians but had gone back to re-explore their scripture from a non-Christian perspective. Conversations with them about their understanding on the subject were interesting. Being ex-Christians they were not interested in the crucifixion/salvation theme and were exploring Christian scriptures from various different angles.

My previous conversations with Christians were frustrating because Christianity is very difficult to understand---to someone exposed to Christian concepts all their lives it may not seem so, but those who were not, it can take time to puzzle all the pieces out.....when this happened...the Christian response was to bombard me with bible verses, so as to prove their point and/or explain. But when a non-Christian has to wade through a pageful of unfamiliar bible verses...the point kind of gets lost.....here people have been understanding and patient.

I think it is time for interfaith action rather than interfaith dialogue....I think dialogues are important to get to know one another, but at some point differences have to be accepted and respected. However, everyone of faith and non-faith can agree that the disadvantaged need help, the earth needs solutions, and humanity must strive to do, and be, better.....these common goals can also bring us together.
    I think Atheists can make Theists be better people. We all have the tendency to take our faiths/religions for granted which can lead to stagnation of thought. Atheists can spur us into revitalizing our faiths/religions. Diversity is important for progress.
    Good stuff. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

Leave a comment:

• siam
    replied
    I used to be in an Islamic forum but had left....I was looking for it again when I found this forum. Islam is generally pluralistic and with a 1400 year history, there are many opinions, nuances and perspectives. It was interesting discussing with other Muslims...but then the forum became dominated with the Wahabi types---the ones that think their opinion is the only correct one...so I had left.

I am from the East and the discussions in the other threads are very Western-Centric---but that is ok, they are very interesting. Since the premises are based on Western thoughts/philosophies I am uncertain of my contribution to the conversations....but I do enjoy them.

I am not sure what to make of the "New" Atheists...the ones I had conversations with were Old (?) Atheists...the ones who were knowledge seekers. My conversations began because they were interested in the Quran/Islam (as knowledge---not for conversion)and were asking questions. They asked hard questions and I found it fun to explore for answers together... I don't know how they behaved towards Christians but there were a few Atheists/Agnostics who were ex-Christians but had gone back to re-explore their scripture from a non-Christian perspective. Conversations with them about their understanding on the subject were interesting. Being ex-Christians they were not interested in the crucifixion/salvation theme and were exploring Christian scriptures from various different angles.

My previous conversations with Christians were frustrating because Christianity is very difficult to understand---to someone exposed to Christian concepts all their lives it may not seem so, but those who were not, it can take time to puzzle all the pieces out.....when this happened...the Christian response was to bombard me with bible verses, so as to prove their point and/or explain. But when a non-Christian has to wade through a pageful of unfamiliar bible verses...the point kind of gets lost.....here people have been understanding and patient.

I think it is time for interfaith action rather than interfaith dialogue....I think dialogues are important to get to know one another, but at some point differences have to be accepted and respected. However, everyone of faith and non-faith can agree that the disadvantaged need help, the earth needs solutions, and humanity must strive to do, and be, better.....these common goals can also bring us together.
    I think Atheists can make Theists be better people. We all have the tendency to take our faiths/religions for granted which can lead to stagnation of thought. Atheists can spur us into revitalizing our faiths/religions. Diversity is important for progress.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Originally posted by siam View Post
    No I've not been here before---I found it by accident. 1) It seemed there was no one replying to the Islam section 2) I was bored 3) My previous discussions with Atheists (elsewhere) were pleasant---and I learned a lot from the few conversations I had with Jews. My conversations with Christians were somewhat frustrating...so I thought I would give this a try.

I am hanging around because some of the discussions are interesting.
    Thanks for answering siam!

Don't you get lonely by yourself in here? I don't really see you in any of the other subforms (Civics, Apologetics, Spam threads), just not interested in those? You said that your conversations with Christians on other forums was somewhat frustrating, is that true for you here as well? When you had discussions with atheists elsewhere, was that on other religious or atheist forums? Do you find that they're more receptive to Islam than Christianity, or do you find them pretty even handed for both? What are your thoughts about interfaith dialogue? Do you think there's any merit in the idea that religious people of all faiths should come together to defend their faith against anti-theists who think that religion should be done away with?

Sorry for all of the questions, and if you're not comfortable answering any of them that's fine. Just, I don't really know anything about you, and sometimes it helps understanding another point of view if you know more than a screen name.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Cow Poke is not debating in compliance with the OP.

Leave a comment:

• siam
    replied
    No I've not been here before---I found it by accident. 1) It seemed there was no one replying to the Islam section 2) I was bored 3) My previous discussions with Atheists (elsewhere) were pleasant---and I learned a lot from the few conversations I had with Jews. My conversations with Christians were somewhat frustrating...so I thought I would give this a try.

I am hanging around because some of the discussions are interesting.

Leave a comment:

• siam (or any other Muslim), what brought you to this forum?

Not interested in debate or anything, just wondering why this particular Christian forum? I could be misremebering, but it seems I remember you on this forum from years before. You seem to stick to this subforum so I don't know much about you. Just wanted to know why you've hung around so long.

Ok. I think that's all.

Thanks.
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X