Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.



Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Are Followers of Islam Discovering Jesus as Messiah

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are Followers of Islam Discovering Jesus as Messiah

    Doctor Bob Utley, one of my Seminary Professors from years gone by, was talking the other day and I didn't catch the setting -- where he was speaking or to whom.

    One of the points he was making, however, was that there is a movement among Muslims that seems to be most prevalent during Ramadan as Muslims spend more time in prayer, whereby Muslims -- especially younger ones -- are receiving visions and having dreams where Jesus is telling them to go talk to people, usually Christian Missionaries or Pastors.

    I have been trying to source this beyond something I heard on the radio, but so far have been unable to do so. I do remember him mentioning a book called Mission Frontiers, but the closest thing I come to that is an online magazine called Mission Frontiers.

    Absent from these visions is any concept of the Trinity, but it sounds like the immediate result of this "movement" is that Muslims are realizing that a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is necessary for Salvation.

    Anybody know anything about this?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  • #2
    OK, I found the article to which Dr. Bob was probably referring in Mission Frontiers online magazine.

    Here is the statement that seems incredible:
    Source: Mission Frontiers

    As Garrison reports, in the first 1,300 years since Muhammad, there was only one voluntary movement to Christ among Muslims of 1,000 or more believers. In the last 20 years of the 20th Century, there were eight. In just the first 12 years of the 21st Century there have been 64. That is not a misprint. As of 2012 there were at least 64 documented movements to Christ taking place among Muslims, each with over 1,000 baptized believers and 100 worshiping fellowships. And the number of these movements is growing.

    © Copyright Original Source

    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

    Comment


    • #3
      God is amazing. He can reach even a wretch like a Muslim. Even a wretch like me.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Doctor Bob Utley, one of my Seminary Professors from years gone by, was talking the other day and I didn't catch the setting -- where he was speaking or to whom.

        One of the points he was making, however, was that there is a movement among Muslims that seems to be most prevalent during Ramadan as Muslims spend more time in prayer, whereby Muslims -- especially younger ones -- are receiving visions and having dreams where Jesus is telling them to go talk to people, usually Christian Missionaries or Pastors.

        I have been trying to source this beyond something I heard on the radio, but so far have been unable to do so. I do remember him mentioning a book called Mission Frontiers, but the closest thing I come to that is an online magazine called Mission Frontiers.

        Absent from these visions is any concept of the Trinity, but it sounds like the immediate result of this "movement" is that Muslims are realizing that a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is necessary for Salvation.

        Anybody know anything about this?
        Fr. Daniel Byantoro converted after receiving a vision of Christ.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

        Comment


        • #5
          If you go on the internet to look for stories about Muslim converts to Christianity---the reason that some Muslims give for conversion is that they see a "vision" of a person in white which they assume is Jesus Christ and so they convert. There have also been a couple of stories where Christians see a similar vision---a person in white---think it is Muhammed(pbuh) and convert to Islam---but this is rare---the majority of Christian converts give the reason that Islam makes more sense than Christianity.

          However, Most Muslims (dissatisfied with Islam) become Atheists rather than Christian.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by siam View Post
            If you go on the internet to look for stories about Muslim converts to Christianity---the reason that some Muslims give for conversion is that they see a "vision" of a person in white which they assume is Jesus Christ and so they convert.
            Yeah, as cited by Garrison's extensive research noted earlier.

            There have also been a couple of stories where Christians see a similar vision---a person in white---think it is Muhammed(pbuh) and convert to Islam---but this is rare---the majority of Christian converts give the reason that Islam makes more sense than Christianity.
            So, a "couple of stories" as opposed to dozens of "movements" of at least a thousand or more converts from Islam to Christianity?

            However, Most Muslims (dissatisfied with Islam) become Atheists rather than Christian.
            Let's see... I cited sources and studies - you cited personal opinion, and "look on the internet".
            "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

            Comment


            • #7
              From an interview with Garrison in WorldMag

              Source: WorldMag

              You are talking in this book about truly supernatural experiences that Muslims are having, that are leading them to Christ. Am I hearing you right?

              In many cases, yes. Now, in some cases, it’s very normal, very routine, almost mundane, but of course, any time someone is turned from darkness to light it’s a miracle. Any time Christ saves someone, it’s a miracle. But certainly, we are hearing reports, also, of things that are out of the ordinary, and I’m a Baptist, so I say that with a healthy dose of skepticism.

              I wanted to find out, and the reports I heard were just marvelous, particularly those of dreams and visions. Almost no one now denies that, for whatever reason, from one end of the Muslim world to the other, Muslims are having their sleep disturbed by visitations and by answered prayers, as well. We’ve talked to a number of folks who just talked about how they’d tested God. They said, “If this is real, I’m going to just pray, and if you’re really there, Lord, I want you to hear this,” and Jesus began to reveal himself through his faithfulness, and they realized that to follow Christ was not to follow a 2,000-year-old prophet, it was to follow a living Lord. That, for them, was the turning point.

              © Copyright Original Source

              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                From an interview with Garrison in WorldMag

                Source: WorldMag

                [B] ... But certainly, we are hearing reports, also, of things that are out of the ordinary, and I’m a Baptist, so I say that with a healthy dose of skepticism. ...

                © Copyright Original Source

                Oh, those skeptical Baptists!
                βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

                אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                  Oh, those skeptical Baptists!
                  Aye, but it was a HEALTHY dose!
                  "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In a survey of 100 Muslims who had converted to Christianity conducted by New Testament scholar Scot McKnight, a full quarter of them said that they were drawn to Christ as a result of dreams or visions. IIRC Christianity Today ran an article a couple years ago about this.

                    In what appears to be a similar survey by Georges Houssney, author of Engaging Islam he found that "60% responded that they had experienced a dream or vision or both."

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It appears these "mass conversions" often follow a Muslim on Muslim war, or other event that causes Muslims to pray more sincerely or fervently.

                      ISIS may actually be helping to drive Muslims to Jesus!
                      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        So, a "couple of stories" as opposed to dozens of "movements" of at least a thousand or more converts from Islam to Christianity?
                        A couple of stories about supposed Christians at that.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          It appears these "mass conversions" often follow a Muslim on Muslim war, or other event that causes Muslims to pray more sincerely or fervently.

                          ISIS may actually be helping to drive Muslims to Jesus!
                          The Lord can use even the works of the most vile to bring about positive things. And what could be more positive than a person being saved?
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I apologize for not giving a source...
                            from what I understood, war and extremism is causing both Christians and Muslims of the Middle East to become Atheists.....one question asked was that if God existed....how could he allow such horrors and atrocities..?....
                            just to be clear...war does not "save" people, it kills them.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by siam View Post
                              I apologize for not giving a source...
                              from what I understood, war and extremism is causing both Christians and Muslims of the Middle East to become Atheists.....one question asked was that if God existed....how could he allow such horrors and atrocities..?....
                              just to be clear...war does not "save" people, it kills them.
                              Siam,

                              We're not talking about "onesies and twosies" converting from Islam - this thread is about THOUSANDS, often whole villages, converting to Christianity. And it's not about becoming atheists --- it's about Muslims coming to Jesus.

                              It's about documented "movements" of 1,000 or more Muslims at a time, and the starting of 100 or more Churches in a "movement", with MANY such movements taking place in recent years.

                              If you'd like to start a thread about Muslims turning to atheism, please feel free to do that, OK?

                              Thanks

                              CP
                              Last edited by Cow Poke; 11-19-2014, 09:58 AM.
                              "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Christian3, Today, 07:17 AM
                              0 responses
                              4 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Christian3  
                              Started by Trucker, 10-23-2020, 11:09 AM
                              12 responses
                              45 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Trucker
                              by Trucker
                               
                              Started by Dan Zebiri, 03-30-2019, 05:15 AM
                              131 responses
                              18,634 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Dan Zebiri  
                              Working...
                              X