Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

ISIS destroys the "Tomb of Jonah"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISIS destroys the "Tomb of Jonah"

Really? The Tomb of the Prophet Jonah? Seems to me that Islamic State is out to destroy anything that is not "their brand" of Islam...even Sunni and Shia sacred sites...what's next? I think it's time the World in general, and the "peaceful" Islamic sects in particular, rise up against these idiots.

LINK
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Muslims have killed more muslims than they have anyone else, IIRC. ISIL is not at all unique in that regard. The peaceful Islamic sects are quite small.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      Really? The Tomb of the Prophet Jonah? Seems to me that Islamic State is out to destroy anything that is not "their brand" of Islam...even Sunni and Shia sacred sites...what's next? I think it's time the World in general, and the "peaceful" Islamic sects in particular, rise up against these idiots.

LINK

I agree that all good people should speak out about unity, peace, tolerance, the brotherhood of humanity, freedom and equality. Here in the East, intolerance is increasing in all religions and there is also intolerance in the West such as the EDL (English Defense league), Islamophobia and such. IMO, one of the characteristics of intolerance and hate is division into us and them/others, with the "us" understood as better, more good/"civilized', superior to the "others". That is why it is important to counter this by stressing Unity, brotherhood and equality.

Wahabi Islam is generally conservative and intolerant but among them is also an extreme version---these extremists have destroyed many sacred Muslim sites in Medina (Saudi Arabia) already---I think if they could, they would even raze the Kaaba (the place of sacred Muslim pilgrimage---the Hajj) to the ground. The Afghan Taliban, influenced by this crazy ideology defaced the Buddhist statues in Afghanistan. For many years, the Saudi's have been using their petro-dollars to spread their influence----giving scholarships to their schools and colleges so that international students carry back this crazy ideology into their home countries. It is very sad to find that the U.S. is Saudi Arabia's "best friend". (and has been both before and after 9/11). However, fanatics make for zealous soldiers and the U.S. has been using extremists in their proxy wars for some time now.

We can see the world in divisions of black/white, good/bad, us/them.....or make attempts to understand nuances, complexities and complicity of various groups and nations. When we recognize that all human groups have good and bad we can stop blaming each other and instead unite together for peace, equality, justice, and liberty.

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...laced-24727336

Lee visited western Rakhine state, where since 2012, violence between Rakhine Buddhists and Rohingya Muslims has left at least 280 people dead and 140,000 homeless, mostly Muslims confined in squalid camps. Myanmar is overwhelmingly Buddhist, and most Rohingya are denied citizenship.

"The situation is deplorable," she said, reading to reporters from a 10-page statement. She said she believed camp residents did not have adequate access to basic services and had heard "disturbing reports" of people dying in the camps due to the lack of emergency medical care and failure to adequately treat preventable illnesses and pregnancy-related conditions.

"By virtue of their legal status (or lack of), the Muslim community has faced and continues to face systematic discrimination, which include restrictions in the freedom of movement, restrictions in access to land, food, water, education and health care, and restrictions on marriages and birth registration," Lee said. She added she was concerned that "the government's plan for long-term peaceful coexistence may likely result in a permanent segregation" of the Buddhist and Muslim communities.

What was originally a localized conflict in Rakhine state has turned into a sometimes violent campaign led by Buddhist extremists against Muslims in other parts of the country, and Lee warned that "the recurring outbreak of intercommunal violence reveals deep divisions and a growing polarization between Muslim and Buddhist communities."

She called for a law banning hate speech, saying she was concerned by its spread "and incitement to violence, discrimination and hostility in the media and on the Internet, which have fueled and triggered further violence." She also called for the withdrawal of a legislative package on the so-called protection of race and religion that would limit the civil rights of the Muslim community.

.........Because stuff like this is everywhere, in every community---good people need to unite.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Muslims have killed more muslims than they have anyone else, IIRC. ISIL is not at all unique in that regard. The peaceful Islamic sects are quite small.
          Well, you have that and this:

Comment

Originally posted by That Geek 5410 View Post
            Well, you have that and this:
            And this, as well:
            My answer, “for it,” in the context in which it was said does NOT mean “for” genocide. I was referring to his initial question that asked me for my position on Hamas, a topic that for his own political reasons he was relentless in pursuing. “For it” was not a legitimization of Hezbollah’s or anyone else’s credo for that matter that Jews should be exterminated. In fact, Mr. Horowitz’s intent was to entrap me with his barrage of questions so that he could avoid answering my question, and construe any answer that I would provide as anti-Semitic, genocidal hate speech in order to further his political agenda.

Horowitz does not have a history of critical or balanced political perspectives. Like the neo-cons in general, he jumped directly from the radical left to the radical right. Some folks are in the game solely for the radicalism, independent of its flavor.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              And this, as well:
              My answer, “for it,” in the context in which it was said does NOT mean “for” genocide. I was referring to his initial question that asked me for my position on Hamas, a topic that for his own political reasons he was relentless in pursuing. “For it” was not a legitimization of Hezbollah’s or anyone else’s credo for that matter that Jews should be exterminated. In fact, Mr. Horowitz’s intent was to entrap me with his barrage of questions so that he could avoid answering my question, and construe any answer that I would provide as anti-Semitic, genocidal hate speech in order to further his political agenda.

Horowitz does not have a history of critical or balanced political perspectives. Like the neo-cons in general, he jumped directly from the radical left to the radical right. Some folks are in the game solely for the radicalism, independent of its flavor.

As ever, Jesse
              So why could she not denounce Hamas?

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

LINK
                I thought the Saudis and the UAE were helping to bomb and iradicate ISIS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I thought the Saudis and the UAE were helping to bomb and iradicate ISIS.
                  As of now, sure... but I don't put much faith into any government with ties to the Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic Courts Union, etc.

Comment

So why could she not denounce Hamas?
                    All I know is what she wrote at the link.

I am not a member of Hamas, nor have I ever given support to Hamas, nor do I agree their actions or stances wholesale, but I refused to offer Mr. Horowitz a blanket condemnation of Hamas that night. I felt that doing so would be a blanket condemnation of the Palestinian cause. I refused to throw the baby (the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people) out with the bathwater (Hamas.) In addition, Mr. Horowitz asked me to condemn Hamas as a genocidal organization; which to my limited knowledge on the subject, is another unsupported claim made by Mr. Horowitz.

My opinion of Hamas is not as simple as condemn or condone, “for it” or “against it.” I firmly believe that the killing of civilians, even as “collateral damage” regardless of creed, politics, sexuality, nationality, or ethnicity is one of the highest crimes in the eyes of God and is morally reprehensible and abhorrent. But I condone Hamas in its ambition to liberate the Palestinian people. I condone Hamas as the duly elected representative government of the Palestinian people granted governance in an election overseen by our ex-President Jimmy Carter; and characterized as fair, open, and fully democratic. I condone Hamas in its desire to end the inhumane siege of the Gazan people. I condone Hamas in its struggle to free the 10,000 Palestinian men, women, and children unjustly locked away in Israeli prisons. It seems that in Mr. Horowitz’s logic, my support of freedom, peace, and justice makes me a “terrorist.”
                    I strongly suspect you didn't bother to read it. Moreover, as the response has been up since May, 2010, I might ask in response, why weren't you aware of it yourself? As it is, you leave the impression that you're accepting, at face value, the characterizations of Horowitz, who, in the very talk you linked, recast the MSA's "Justice in Palestine Week" as "Hitler Youth Week."

This is the internet. Godwin's Law applies.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

I strongly suspect you didn't bother to read it. Moreover, as the response has been up since May, 2010, I might ask in response, why weren't you aware of it yourself? As it is, you leave the impression that you're accepting, at face value, the characterizations of Horowitz, who, in the very talk you linked, recast the MSA's "Justice in Palestine Week" as "Hitler Youth Week."

As ever, Jesse
                      I read the article and I also heard her when she refused to answer her position on Hamas because she didn't want to get in trouble with DHS. I'm sure DHS wouldn't have a single problem if she condemned Hamas for what they are, a genocidal terrorist organization. That would leave only one possible solution regarding her stance and she inferred it quite clearly.

Comment

As ever, Jesse
                        I'm not familiar with Mr. Horowitz, but the statement you've given manages to go to great lengths to praise Hamas while making the only negative statement impersonal. And if Hamas had used the concrete shipped in to help the Palestinian people instead of using it to line attack tunnels, the Palestinian people might just be better off now. Of course, all this would be moot if the Muslim countries of the world had lifted a finger to help resettle the Palestinians when they left in the first place. Or if Yassir Arafat had deigned to peaceably resettle in Jordan rather than attempt to take it over. Or if the same had accepted peace instead of launching the second Intifada after being offered pretty much everything he'd asked for. Israel has not been kind to the Palestinians, but their own leaders and compatriots have treated them far worse.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I read the article ...
                          With all due respect, I sincerely doubt that. As evidence, I once again draw your attention to her answer to your question, making the question itself moot.

... and I also heard her when she refused to answer her position on Hamas because she didn't want to get in trouble with DHS. I'm sure DHS wouldn't have a single problem if she condemned Hamas for what they are, a genocidal terrorist organization. That would leave only one possible solution regarding her stance and she inferred it quite clearly.
                          She did answer the question, and they are both more than that, and less. Mr. Horowitz pulled a Godwin, and you haven't yet assimilated that fact.

I suspect you are incapable of doing so. Time will tell.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          I'm not familiar with Mr. Horowitz, but the statement you've given ...
                          The statement I shared, rather. And that only in response to the question, "So why could she not denounce Hamas?" I'm neither her apologist nor her psychologist, and was unfamiliar with her before seeing the linked video.

I am, however, quite familiar with Mr. Horowitz. Unlike our uncritical Geek, I am entirely certain you are capable of correcting that lack.

We've been posting together for ten years now, piglet.

As to your suggestions, analogous suggestions occur to me, though directed the other way. I am slightly more inclined to favor Israel for cultural reasons almost entirely divorced from religious considerations which tend to move me the other way. I'm not in favor of religious states, at all.

But I can count, and am entirely familiar with Jewish contributions far beyond their weight class in nearly every realm of science and medicine, reflected in institutions ranging from the National Academy to Nobel Prize laureates.

Yet, again, because I can count, for purely demographic reasons, I don't believe their current path has any real chance of success in securing a Jewish homeland. They have sabotaged every attempt at a two-state solution, and if there is no two-state solution, then there will be a one-state solution, and the numbers say that state will be Arab.

I might also point out what seems an obvious fact to me. The Gazan tunnels, like those built under Saigon, were an inevitable and entirely predictable response to sustained air campaigns. A government, any government, has and always will have defense from foreign attack as its first priority, independent of its moral rectitude.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

As ever, Jesse
                            I am not a member of Hamas, nor have I ever given support to Hamas, nor do I agree their actions or stances wholesale.
                            Yet the MSA is affiliated with the MB which in turn has ties to the MB which is also linked to the ICU and ultimately Hezbollah and Hamas... just follow the paper trail.

I felt that doing so would be a blanket condemnation of the Palestinian cause. I refused to throw the baby (the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people) out with the bathwater (Hamas.) In addition, Mr. Horowitz asked me to condemn Hamas as a genocidal organization; which to my limited knowledge on the subject, is another unsupported claim made by Mr. Horowitz.
                            Unsupported? Try this: http://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/other/des/123085.htm
                            That and the indiscriminate rocket attacks into Israel which injured military and civilian alike. It seems to me they have little concern for collateral damage with 8 dead and 60 injured with a total of 4,005 rockets and 31 mortars fired between January and August per ISA summaries. It is also classified as a terrorist organization by Australia, Canada, Egypt, the entire European Union, Israel, Japan, the United Kingdom and is banned in Jordan.

My opinion of Hamas is not as simple as condemn or condone, “for it” or “against it.” I firmly believe that the killing of civilians, even as “collateral damage” regardless of creed, politics, sexuality, nationality, or ethnicity is one of the highest crimes in the eyes of God and is morally reprehensible and abhorrent.
                            The for it or against it comment was specifically within the context of the leader of Hezbollah wishing all Jews to come back to Israel so they would save them the trouble of hunting them down globally. I don't see how a rational person could interpret this in any other way.

But I condone Hamas in its ambition to liberate the Palestinian people.
                            By their disregard for innocent lives and the use of fear to promote a political and theological agenda... this is a textbook definition of a terrorist organization.

I condone Hamas as the duly elected representative government of the Palestinian people granted governance in an election overseen by our ex-President Jimmy Carter; and characterized as fair, open, and fully democratic.
                            Not so, they are an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt, directly linked to the ICU which we can thank for Al Shabaab and all the atrocities they committed in Somalia such as stoning a 12 year old girl to death in a stadium for reporting her rape by Al Shabaab members.

I condone Hamas in its desire to end the inhumane siege of the Gazan people. I condone Hamas in its struggle to free the 10,000 Palestinian men, women, and children unjustly locked away in Israeli prisons.
                            See above.

It seems that in Mr. Horowitz’s logic, my support of freedom, peace, and justice makes me a “terrorist.”
                            If it quacks like a duck and supports all ducky things... chances are it's a duck. If you provide even moral support for a terrorist organization you give them steam by allowing them to think they are still the good guys. War is won on many battlefronts including in the hearts and minds of the people.

You address me stating "with all due respect" when none is offered. Perhaps you should get the chance to know me before labeling me.
                            Last edited by That Geek 5410; 10-07-2014, 10:38 PM.

Comment

My dear Geek,

Why are you writing this to me? You wanted to know why she said what she said, and I gave you her answer. If you want a dialogue with her, don't be shy, write her. But, as you're so thoroughly crushed on the girl, allow me to lend a hand ...

Yet the MSA is affiliated with the MB which in turn has ties to the MB which is also linked to the ICU and ultimately Hezbollah and Hamas... just follow the paper trail.
                              Not just guilt by association, but chained guilt by association. Would you personally prefer to be associated with the Phelps family or Jack Chick? As you seem delightfully simple, allow me to cut that back to a sense more suitable for innocent strangers to the sardonic:

You're not improving your reputation here.

I'd leave this out of your mash note.

You seem to have misplaced your official list of genocidal organizations. I suggest roses as a replacement.

That and the indiscriminate rocket attacks into Israel which injured military and civilian alike. It seems to me they have little concern for collateral damage with 8 dead and 60 injured with a total of 4,005 rockets and 31 mortars fired between January and August per ISA summaries. It is also classified as a terrorist organization by Australia, Canada, Egypt, the entire European Union, Israel, Japan, the United Kingdom and is banned in Jordan.
                              Now there you go, something you two can agree on. How pleasant. To extend the small talk, you might want to bone up on the collateral damage from the other side. I hear it's a much better story, and even more likely to earn you muslimah points.

The for it or against it comment was specifically within the context of the leader of Hezbollah wishing all Jews to come back to Israel so they would save them the trouble of hunting them down globally. I don't see how a rational person could interpret this in any other way.
                              It was specifically within the context of Justice for Palestine being equated with the Hitler Youth, too, but girls like a boy who's narrowly focused, so it might work. But if you're worried, feel free to leave that out, too.

By their disregard for innocent lives and the use of fear to promote a political and theological agenda... this is a textbook definition of a terrorist organization.
                              If you keep it just that vague, she might think you're speaking of Israel. More muslimah points, dude!

Not so, they are an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt, directly linked to the ICU which we can thank for Al Shabaab and all the atrocities they committed in Somalia such as stoning a 12 year old girl to death in a stadium for reporting her rape by Al Shabaab members.
                              Or maybe you'd prefer to be associated with Bob Jones?

See above.
                              Exactly.

If it quacks like a duck and supports all ducky things... chances are it's a duck. If you provide even moral support for a terrorist organization you give them steam by allowing them to think they are still the good guys. War is won on many battlefronts including in the hearts and minds of the people.
                              Good luck winning her heart, Geek, or have fun storming the castle, whatever.

You address me stating "with all due respect" when none is offered. Perhaps you should get the chance to know me before labeling me.
                              Post your due thanks here, newbs.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X