Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

ISIS destroys the "Tomb of Jonah"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by That Geek 5410 View Post
    How so?
    taoist is a jerk.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Same person.
      That explains soooo much.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        taoist is a jerk.
        Thank you Captain Obvious. What's next? Announcing that I'm somewhat of a rogue (though lovable and dashing)?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

taoist is a jerk.
          I thought he was trolling... so you're saying he's serious? Well outside of the obvious jerk issue how is my ego going to be hurt as you stated?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Thank you Captain Obvious. What's next? Announcing that I'm somewhat of a rogue (though lovable and dashing)?
            The spoiler of all and sundry innuendo calls someone else "Captain Obvious."

I laugh.

Comment

I thought he was trolling... so you're saying he's serious? Well outside of the obvious jerk issue how is my ego going to be hurt as you stated?
              As to your ego, it may be impregnable. There may be no clue stick large enough to beat out the Godwin-swallowing-acceptance-of-chained-guilt-by-association fallacies from your mind. You may be impervious to association analogies with Jim Jones. You may be just as simple as you appear.

And if so, you will never earn the respect I grant to so many of your fellow adherents, independent of their association with you. I'm okay with that, either way. That's what makes me a jerk.

But on the bright side, you are fun to laugh at, so you're not entirely good for nothing.

Seriously.

As ever, Jesse

Comment

I'm going to call him Corporal Kool-Aid.

And pray our favorite rogue can resist the urge to explain it to him.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post

Congrats... on my short time here you'really the first user to make my ignore list.

Have a wonderful life.

Comment

The spoiler of all and sundry innuendo calls someone else "Captain Obvious."

I laugh.
                    More like cackle fiendishly. And I thought that you would appreciate it

Make a substantial bribe of crispy bacon (and substantial for me not you) and I'll consider it.

Try to pass of turkey bacon or even worse that abomination called tofu and I will follow you around explaining in detail every sly reference that you think you might slip by.

Comment

Yes, he's serious. Your ego may or may not be hurt - much like running with scissors may or may not result in bodily injury. lao tzu is rather brighter than the average Youtube atheist, so he's rather more liable to . . . evoke the reaction he did here than the typical back-n-forth which happens there.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Congrats... on my short time here you'really the first user to make my ignore list.

Have a wonderful life.
                        Don't worry, nothing of value was lost.

Comment

lao tzu is rather brighter than the average Youtube atheist
                          Not that I've noticed... I ask him to cite material contrary to what I presented and If my Intel is wrong I'll change my view accordingly. Instead of presenting such material he responds with childish condescending remarks. The only thing he could cite was that woman's desperate attempt to backpedal from her initial statement. Those aren't exactly the earmarks of someone with a lot of intelligence or at least a valid counter argument. Eh... oh well, he's blocked, problem solved.

Comment

Yes, he's serious. Your ego may or may not be hurt - much like running with scissors may or may not result in bodily injury. lao tzu is rather brighter than the average Youtube atheist, so he's rather more liable to . . . evoke the reaction he did here than the typical back-n-forth which happens there.
                            So is this better described as setting a rather low bar or damning by faint praise?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              So is this better described as setting a rather low bar or damning by faint praise?
                              Yes. I was reaching for an example which IMO TG would be familiar with - which indeed is a low bar. I was hoping it would cause him to re-evaluate toasti's counter-argument.

sigpic

Comment

Yes. I was reaching for an example which IMO TG would be familiar with - which indeed is a low bar. I was hoping it would cause him to re-evaluate toasti's counter-argument.
                                I asked him/her why she couldn't denounce Hamas and he/she responded "All I know is what she wrote at the link" and then accused me of not reading the linked material at all.

He/she keeps bringing up this Godwin concept as if it automatically disqualifies the content of the issue at hand. He equates the situation to the Nazi party since Hamas and similar terrorist groups call for the death of Jews and this sentiment is certainly echoed in several Muslim student clubs through various incidents as outlined here for instance: http://www.commdiginews.com/politics...-israel-26662/

If a student organization supports the belief that Jews should be hunted down and killed then I fail to see how this is dissimilar to the Third Reich's agenda regarding anti-Semitism. There is a distinct parallel here so this Godwin crutch he keeps leaning on does little to address the substance of his argument but rather cherry picks one specific item while ignoring the rest. This is a red herring and this is not usenet.

Following that I broke down the student's attempt at backpedaling and addressed several issues I had with it. The first response is to accuse me of wanting to have a relationship with her... very childish. Followed by accusing me of guilt by association when the political science of it clearly points in a different direction. He dismissed my list of terrorist organizations as not being a list of genocidal organizations rather than look at the organizations actions and what they advocate. My statistics from the ISA was dismissed using the same childish tactic of what I can discuss with my alleged crush. The remainder of my analysis of her statement pretty much bounced back and forth between those two.

When I rebutted his guilt by association comment he simply said I was wrong and didn't have a clue then went on to promote his so-called fan thread.

The only counter-argument he has offered was he only knows what is in the link and he doesn't like a comparison he made so therefore his entire argument is invalid.... in other words he has no counter-argument aside from how Israel wrongs Palestinians which two wrongs doesn't make a right.

If he wants to indeed be more intelligent than your run of the mill fundie atheist then he should probably use some better tactics than them.

Is that it or did I miss some critical piece of information from an outside source that he might have posted that actually granted some sort of substance to his vitriolic and childish tantrum?
                                Last edited by That Geek 5410; 10-08-2014, 09:14 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X