Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Execute rape victims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• siam
    replied
    Honor-killings--- are not "Islamic" but this is practiced in some Muslim as well as non-Muslim societies. It is associated with tribal culture/traditions
    IMO, honor killings are Murder.

Rape---traditionally/historically in Islamic jurisprudence---Rape was considered "Hiraba" a serious crime on the level with crimes such as treason. Today, in some tribal areas, the rape crime is being equated with adultery (Zina) and its prosecution is faulty creating much injustice.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    No. Go look up honour killings. It's not for the sake of the victim, but the sake of her family.
    I know. I realized that right after I posted it. Me being a dumb individualist!

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    So they might see it as a mercy kill? Rape as a fate worse than death?
    No. Go look up honour killings. It's not for the sake of the victim, but the sake of her family.

Leave a comment:

• Christianbookworm
    replied
    So they might see it as a mercy kill? Rape as a fate worse than death?

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Wrong perspective; use honour-shame.

Leave a comment:

• Catholicity
    replied
    In fundamentalist Islam, if a woman is found to be not a virgin even by rape, she is supposed to be punished along with the man who slept with her. Realistically, the man who hurts women goes free and the woman is put to death in many Islamic cultures. Usually in more liberal cultures women tend to be verbally humiliated however men are punished. In the US its handled as a law case. In cases where the family is more "westernized" often the family does its own justice. The problem here is that there isn't really a court system, but the families get to decide how to handle their own, and it can range from killing the offender to killing both. Islam is a religion which allows for violence among its citizens.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    started a topic Execute rape victims?

Execute rape victims?

Check out this current imbroglio in India. The article isn't entirely clear on what the role of Islam is here... so I will just leave this here waiting for feedback from some of you who know a little more about Islam.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/nation...rk_923734.html
widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X