Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Execute rape victims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Execute rape victims?

Check out this current imbroglio in India. The article isn't entirely clear on what the role of Islam is here... so I will just leave this here waiting for feedback from some of you who know a little more about Islam.

http://zeenews.india.com/news/nation...rk_923734.html
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

In fundamentalist Islam, if a woman is found to be not a virgin even by rape, she is supposed to be punished along with the man who slept with her. Realistically, the man who hurts women goes free and the woman is put to death in many Islamic cultures. Usually in more liberal cultures women tend to be verbally humiliated however men are punished. In the US its handled as a law case. In cases where the family is more "westernized" often the family does its own justice. The problem here is that there isn't really a court system, but the families get to decide how to handle their own, and it can range from killing the offender to killing both. Islam is a religion which allows for violence among its citizens.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Wrong perspective; use honour-shame.

Comment

So they might see it as a mercy kill? Rape as a fate worse than death?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
          So they might see it as a mercy kill? Rape as a fate worse than death?
          No. Go look up honour killings. It's not for the sake of the victim, but the sake of her family.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
            No. Go look up honour killings. It's not for the sake of the victim, but the sake of her family.
            I know. I realized that right after I posted it. Me being a dumb individualist!
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Honor-killings--- are not "Islamic" but this is practiced in some Muslim as well as non-Muslim societies. It is associated with tribal culture/traditions
              IMO, honor killings are Murder.

Rape---traditionally/historically in Islamic jurisprudence---Rape was considered "Hiraba" a serious crime on the level with crimes such as treason. Today, in some tribal areas, the rape crime is being equated with adultery (Zina) and its prosecution is faulty creating much injustice.

Comment

Er, is anyone checking the translation?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Under Islam, it can be very dangerous for a woman to claim she was raped, because it an admission of sexual activity which can lead to a charge of adultery (which is punishable by death) and her testimony as a woman is not sufficient to implicate the rapist.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Under Islam, it can be very dangerous for a woman to claim she was raped, because it an admission of sexual activity which can lead to a charge of adultery (which is punishable by death) and her testimony as a woman is not sufficient to implicate the rapist.
                    ---depends on what is meant by "under Islam".....there are some people/places that claim adultery is punishable by death (stoning). This is incorrect and an injustice according to the Quran. According to the interpretation of some scholars, The Quran requires strict evidence to prove adultery making it impossible to prosecute unless it is a (consensual) public act.

Sharia has aspects that are law/jurisprudence (Fiqh) This aspect of Sharia is dynamic and also differs according to which school of Sharia is practiced in which region/country. Many Muslim majority countries have a combination of sharia and colonial laws (the laws of whichever colonial powers had controlled them).

For rape, traditionally, the testimony of the woman alone and evidence of assault were enough to convict the rapist. Today, in some places the situation is unjust.

Scholars (both men and women) as well as activists are working to change unjust and harmful practices. Such unjust, harmful practices go against the ethico-moral principles of Islam, Sharia, and the Quran.

(clarification about Sharia---1 )most Muslims today understand Sharia as rules of ritual/prayer practices (non-legal and fixed) rather than as jurisprudence (legal, flexible). 2) Generally, non-Muslims (Westerners) see unjust/harmful practices and equate them with "Sharia" while Muslims see "Sharia" as a theory of justice based on ethico-moral principles which is why citizens in some Muslim-majority countries favor a "Sharia" based legal system. The hope is that a system based on ethico-moral principles may hinder corruption, injustice, inequality and harmful practices.)

Comment

Yet it is precisely the ones in which the legal system is based that we see precisely such injustices. Funny that.

It is funny how the internet apologists seem to think they know better than the leaders of these muslim majority countries.
                      The State. Ideas so good they have to be mandatory.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                        Yet it is precisely the ones in which the legal system is based that we see precisely such injustices. Funny that.

It is funny how the internet apologists seem to think they know better than the leaders of these muslim majority countries.
                        We're in the Dar al-Harb. It's not like the internet apologists are held to a high standard of truthiness here.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I would love to know which Christians are allegedly pushing for Sharia law.
                          Last edited by Darth Xena; 04-17-2014, 12:18 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I think all human beings desire Justice. Unscrupulous people can abuse such desires for their own gains. This is true for non-Muslim majority countries as it is for Muslim majority countries.
                            One would think that citizens of countries that value human dignity would oppose the practice of torture....Yet, in the U.S. John Yoo and others of the infamous torture memos helped open legal doors for the use of torture....
                            ......and we have Guantanamo, Abu Ghraib, Bagram, Renditions, waterboarding.......
                            One would think that a people who value the principle of equality for all would not allow for an unjust and unequal legal process, yet, in the U.S. a disproportionate number of black people/people of color are jailed...privatized detention centers for juveniles are a business of filling beds for profits regardless of the consequences on the young.....

Systems can be abused---these systems can be those of government, economics, jurisprudence...etc. If the citizens of a country are not vigilant, a system will be abused. When abuse occurs, there might be two types of reactions---either to get rid of that system and build a new one or to reform the existing system in order to align with the (original) ideals. So,.....some people are saying that torture, is un-American, that inequality and injustice go against the spirit of equality that the U.S. was founded on.

It may seem at first that "Justice" is a concept confined to Jurisprudence alone. In my opinion, Justice can be understood as a "way of life"....one that encompasses the micro and the macro. It begins in the home, to treat our Parents and relatives with compassion and justice, then to apply it to our relations with Friends, neighbors, community and to expand it in our expectations of our societies, nations and humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Dee Dee Warren View Post
                              I would love to know which Christians are allegedly pushing for Sharia law.
                              Bump

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X