Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Origin of hijab in Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of hijab in Islam

The other day, someone on a friend's Facebook made a startling claim - that the origin of the hijab is that one of Mohammed's wives was recognized defecating outside, and the hijab was instituted to prevent a recurrence. I did some searching, which was somewhat uncomfortable with the search times, and mainly found a viral Reddit thread with thousands of upvotes (but without hard evidence, and that site's users are more than happy to upvote anything that criticizes religion). Is anyone aware of any hard evidence for or against this claim?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    The other day, someone on a friend's Facebook made a startling claim - that the origin of the hijab is that one of Mohammed's wives was recognized defecating outside, and the hijab was instituted to prevent a recurrence. I did some searching, which was somewhat uncomfortable with the search times, and mainly found a viral Reddit thread with thousands of upvotes (but without hard evidence, and that site's users are more than happy to upvote anything that criticizes religion). Is anyone aware of any hard evidence for or against this claim?
    First I've heard of it. The tradition (at the risk of oversimplifying a complex issue ) is widely agreed to have preceded Muhammad and came to Arabia from Mesopotamia.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I would guess the hijab is simply one more item meant to keep men from seeing anything that might get them aroused. There's not much left, so maybe long hair was the target.

Comment

Seems like it might have been a cultural thing in the area long before Islam. Just think of the dress of women in bible times, full robes, hair covering. Paul even talks about women covering their hair. I think the muslims just extended that to cover the entire face as well.

Comment

I dunno about the origins, but I thought the hijab covered only the head and left the face exposed.
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            I dunno about the origins, but I thought the hijab covered only the head and left the face exposed.
            I think it depends on the severity of the sect of Islam the woman belongs to. The Hijab that covers the face is called the niqab.

Comment

55a9f1a39fc36d3545f591657c06ace2.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Whatever you want to call it, similar dress was in vogue in the ANE during Jesus' time. I am betting that is where it started and was continued until the time that Islam came about at which point they took it to the extremes as they are wont to do in most things religious. Like no graven images, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                  In some cases, even the face is covered except for a "peek window", which even then, may be more of a veil through which she can see, but outsiders can't see her eyes.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

In some cases, even the face is covered except for a "peek window", which even then, may be more of a veil through which she can see, but outsiders can't see her eyes.
                    That's the burka

Comment

That's the burka
                      Yes.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hijab - covers hair and/or hair and neck
                        Niqab - adds face covering
                        Burka - full body

coverings.jpeg

Comment

First I've heard of it. The tradition (at the risk of oversimplifying a complex issue ) is widely agreed to have preceded Muhammad and came to Arabia from Mesopotamia.
                          This is also what I've heard, and what I seemed to find when looking into it. It's probably easier to make up things about Islam online when few people in English speaking communities are going to know better.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

This is also what I've heard, and what I seemed to find when looking into it. It's probably easier to make up things about Islam online when few people in English speaking communities are going to know better.
                            It makes no sense. Better to screen off the area where people use as a toilet than to have someone covered head to toe all the time. And as been noted, the hijab still leaves the face uncovered so it's not like people wouldn't still recognize her.

Comment

It makes no sense. Better to screen off the area where people use as a toilet than to have someone covered head to toe all the time. And as been noted, the hijab still leaves the face uncovered so it's not like people wouldn't still recognize her.
                              So the old story ---- a guy robbed a jewelry store in the mall, and ordered the customers to empty their pockets, and get undressed - totally naked - and he would allow them to leave the store unharmed.
                              All of the customers ran out of the store covering, as best they could, their private parts, except one man who covered his face.

When asked why he didn't cover his private parts, he replied, "Well, I don't know about here, but where I come from, one is recognized by their face, not their private regions".

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X