Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Charlie Charlie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie Charlie

Mods as usual, if this is the wrong place move it please.

In brief, it is a "game" that involves creating what is essentially a "yes" or "no" Ouji board. That is initiated by calling out to a spirit named "Charilie" and asking it to play.

I am a Sunday School teacher and after the craft we were walking back to the seats when a 8 or 9 year old girl said "Charlie, Charlie: Can you play?" In a song song voice, having heard of the "game" before I looked and saw she had made the board for it (a simple 2x2 grid with Yes and No checkered) I got it from her called it demonic and ripped it up as I walked to the trash can.

This shocked her. Afted I walked back from the trash can she raised her hand until I called on her. She asked, "Why's Charlie Charlie demonic?" And that was an odd few minutes as the parents were arriving to hear me explain why. Her mother was... Not unhappy with me. But very worried for her daughter once it was explained what we were talking about.

Discussion on whether I made the right decision, whether you (dis)agree with me about the "game," whether you've had a similar experience, or if you just want to give your opinion on Ouji is appreciated.
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Personally I may have handled the situation slightly differently, but I do agree with your assessment.
    Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
    1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
    -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I'd like to think I would have handled the situation precisely as you did. Maybe that's not the best way to handle it with kids that age, I don't know. But I take the demonic seriously and I'm glad that you do too.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
        Personally I may have handled the situation slightly differently, but I do agree with your assessment.
        I don't want to be in the situation again, but they say to plan for the worst. What would you have done differently?
        Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
          I don't want to be in the situation again, but they say to plan for the worst. What would you have done differently?
          I probably would have grabbed the parents first.

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
          -Ben Witherington III

Comment

It's all over my friends facebook but none of us take it seriously since we don't believe in "charlie"(personally I've never done it).
            I agree with Raph though, you should probably get the parents first if you can.
            "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
            "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
            Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

You did the right thing in my book.

Comment

Is it just me or is it sad that someone had to tell her? I mean, at some point, shouldn't she ought to have learned enough Scripture to figure that one out all by herself?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Grabbing the parents makes plenty of sense, and honestly wasn't something that even occurred to me as an option until just now. I don't think it would have made a difference in this example because they were on their way to pick up their daughter from the main sanctuary to our classroom when I noticed what was up anyways, but if (God forbid) there be a next time that will be my first action.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Is it just me or is it sad that someone had to tell her? I mean, at some point, shouldn't she ought to have learned enough Scripture to figure that one out all by herself?
                    The mother had never heard of Charlie Charlie I just had to explain it was Ouji, she knew enough from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                      The mother had never heard of Charlie Charlie I just had to explain it was Ouji, she knew enough from there.
                      I only heard about it a few weeks back

-Ben Witherington III

Comment

It's a recent fad among younger people; I've heard about it maybe twice (once because it was mentioned on television when it was on in my breakroom). I'd be surprised if most people in my church knew what it was.

I'm guessing (and you can correct me) that Teal meant that it should be obvious that the Bible forbids occult activity.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yeah, you did the right thing. I'm always leery about Ouija Boards and crazy rituals like this. I've heard about times where nothing has happened, and other times where some pretty freaky... stuff... has happened. Either way, I'm not dumb enough to try these rituals out.

As they say...

Do you want.jpg
                          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I'm guessing (and you can correct me) that Teal meant that it should be obvious that the Bible forbids occult activity.
                            I agree that that's what she meant, my question is if she thought it was the mother who should know what the Bible says on the topic or the daughter. The mother knows to stay away from the occult but didn't know about the game or her daughter's interest in it. The daughter is as I said at oldest 9, and thought Charlie was the ghost of a little Mexican boy and that talking to him was a game her friends played, will she know better now? Yes. Should she have been warned already? I don't know.

Comment

I would've have taken it and gotten the parents at the same time then had the discussion. Mind you it reminds me of "bloody mary" Which I don't actually believe in, but I've never really taken the time to explore and I can say I never will. I've watched the you tube films. I think the kids are getting the reactions they want to see but its not "charlie" as a) no mexican child is named charlie (it would be carlos) and its like a physics reaction as the JREF foundation puts it in most cases (you know the pencils move because the floor moves building moves etc....) in most cases 99? percent and that 1 percent that stands out is actually demonic. Since you don't know which is which. Don't mess with it. And while what you did is fine, just be a little more clear headed. We need not be afraid of any power of darkness.
                              A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X