Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Your religious beliefs are false, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
    You both should take a crack at answering the question.
    Howabout, Jews found contradictions in gospels, howas the Christians translate their scriptures poorly.

Comment

Without a risen Christ as my cornerstone I would be left with experiential faith, I was a willing demoniac before I came to Christ, and without Christ my perception of the Holy Spirit would be gone and I'd be left trying to create a paradigm of good and evil spirits. I suppose in belief I would be a New Ager, and in practice the worst caricature of Pentecostals doing anything to experience whatever I replaced the Holy Spirit with. I would likely tie this to a belief in condemned humanity because we were never saved because Jesus didn't die on the cross. I would look upon these "revivals" as a touch from this distant and unmerciful God as we sought to gain His attention.

So sort of an Exhilic Judaism mixed with Pentecostalism and very open to taking ideas from various pagan beliefs, Islam, Hinduism, etc.

Oh, and I'd be open to the idea of using terrorism and abuses of power to get what I want both personally and ideologically.

This is a depressing thought experiment.
      Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse
        I had thought about this question yesterday and figured it would be a good topic to discuss. What would you do, if you found out concretely that your faith was wrong? Personally, as a Christian, if I found out that my belief was in vain (they proved Christ did not rise from the dead), I would still believe in a God. I would probably lean towards Judaism. That would be a natural fit for me. I don't think I could ever stop believing in a God.
        I'd also lean toward Judaism as well if that we an option, but I think that's kind of cheating. The Old Testament is foundational to Christianity and Christianity isn't just about the resurrection, but also about the promises of God made in the OT. So if Christianity were wrong, then that would also include many beliefs relevant to Judaism.
        "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I'd probably pretty much continue to live as I am, without going to Church.

I enjoy helping people, having a (fairly) healthy lifestyle, and many of the things that I have practiced as a Christian.
          I can definitely see that. I don't believe my ethics would change either. I would gravitate towards Judaism because of my love and knowledge of the ANE. It would be that, or just a straight belief in universal truths that are governed by a higher power.
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
            I'd also lean toward Judaism as well if that we an option, but I think that's kind of cheating. The Old Testament is foundational to Christianity and Christianity isn't just about the resurrection, but also about the promises of God made in the OT. So if Christianity were wrong, then that would also include many beliefs relevant to Judaism.
            Not true though. Judaism doesn't believe in the divinity of Christ. Kinda why they wanted him killed for blasphemy. You can indeed believe in the tenants of Judaism and not believe Christ was the Messiah.

I look at it the way Paul did. If it was proven that Christ didn't rise from the dead, then we have no hope. Because then, he was just a regular man that died and our sins were not forgiven. We would be fools following a man who thought he was God.
            Last edited by Jesse; 04-11-2015, 03:54 PM.
            "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
              I was a willing demoniac before I came to Christ...
              Lest you took drugs, this is highly unlikely. Are you implying that you need an exorcist?

Comment

Originally posted by Omniskeptical View Post
                Lest you took drugs, this is highly unlikely. Are you implying that you need an exorcist?
                Omni, I will ask you to please not pollute this thread with your nonsense. I am trying to have a serious and open discussion. If you have anything relevant towards the topic to say, please share it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Actually, they have not even approached this. What they have done is convince themselves of something. There has never been any concrete evidence that there is no God, and there can not be.
                  Please allow the atheists to speak for themselves, Jed. To the extent I can make it out, your attempt to do so for us ... isn't even wrong. You're not doing so well speaking for the OP, either. No one asked for the consequences of concrete evidence that there is God.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    I'd probably pretty much continue to live as I am, without going to Church.

I enjoy helping people, having a (fairly) healthy lifestyle, and many of the things that I have practiced as a Christian.
                    Funny you should mention. But there are decent "church" options that don't demand belief in any particular deity, or any deity at all for that matter. I'm partial to the UUs, myself.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                      Please allow the atheists to speak for themselves, Jed. To the extent I can make it out, your attempt to do so for us ... isn't even wrong. You're not doing so well speaking for the OP, either. No one asked for the consequences of concrete evidence that there is God.
                      I would like to ask you to do the same that I asked of Omni. I don't want this turning into an off-topic flame thread.

Comment

Not true though. Judaism doesn't believe in the divinity of Christ. Kinda why they wanted him killed for blasphemy. You can indeed believe in the tenants of Judaism and not believe Christ was the Messiah.
                        Jews believe the OT is true, but not the NT. Christians believe both the OT and NT are true. If Christianity is false, then both the OT and NT are false, so that would include Judaism.
                        "Faith is nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it." - Edward Feser

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                          I would like to ask you to do the same that I asked of Omni. I don't want this turning into an off-topic flame thread.
                          Jed flamed me and BP, and your response is to ask me to leave? No. You don't have a right on TWeb to exclude someone who's being attacked in your thread. If you don't want flames, put them out at the source, and stop fanning them with your amen's you hypocrite.

Comment

Jed flamed me and BP, and your response is to ask me to leave? No. You don't have a right on TWeb to exclude someone who's being attacked in your thread. If you don't want flames, put them out at the source, and stop fanning them with your amen's you hypocrite.
                            I didn't ask you or Omni to leave. I asked you both to stay on topic. Your first response in this thread had nothing to do with the question that was asked. Lay off the victimization card.

Comment

Funny you should mention. But there are decent "church" options that don't demand belief in any particular deity, or any deity at all for that matter. I'm partial to the UUs, myself.
                              If I'm going to go to Church, Jesse, I'm going to go where they actually believe something.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Soyeong View Post
                                Jews believe the OT is true, but not the NT. Christians believe both the OT and NT are true. If Christianity is false, then both the OT and NT are false, so that would include Judaism.
                                I don't want this to become a debate on it's own. The OT doesn't become false if the NT is. Those practicing Judaism would not agree with this statement. They do not believe that Christ was the fulfillment of the Law.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X