Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Your religious beliefs are false, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
    Personally, I've never been reluctant to say "I don't know." I don't like to jump to conclusions.
    I never jump to conclusions. I crawl up to the edge on my stomach and look over and say 'no way!'

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
      Absolutely not. I'm not even sure I have free will to make any decisions.
      Perhaps your concept of vagueness has changed over the years, and you're still just as vague, but under the newer concept of the word, you only SEEM more vague! Or even LESS vague.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Perhaps your concept of vagueness has changed over the years, and you're still just as vague, but under the newer concept of the word, you only SEEM more vague! Or even LESS vague.
        Could be. Who the heck knows!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I think one of the difficulties with this hypothetical is the fact that the premise is so.... how would one prove that Christ did not rise from the dead, beyond a shadow of a doubt? I mean, yeah, it's a hypothetical, but usually hypotheticals have at least some basis in fact or possibility.
          Okay. Let's say that they found his body and proved through genetics that it was indeed Christ. I saw a documentary a while ago about geneticist thinking they found some relatives they believe to be his. So if you believe that genetics could prove it was him, that would be a good starting point.
          "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            Okay. Let's say that they found his body and proved through genetics that it was indeed Christ. I saw a documentary a while ago about geneticist thinking they found some relatives they believe to be his. So if you believe that genetics could prove it was him, that would be a good starting point.
            Oh. Well then.

Carry on
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I am fascinated by people who are CERTAIN about metaphysics, or even ordinary physics. Heck, I'm fascinated by people who are CERTAIN about their checkbook.

When I consider my history and the number of times I thought I was right about something and turned out to be wrong, I can't imagine being absolutely certain about anything. It's a foreign concept to me.

Comment

I am fascinated by people who are CERTAIN about metaphysics, or even ordinary physics. Heck, I'm fascinated by people who are CERTAIN about their checkbook.

When I consider my history and the number of times I thought I was right about something and turned out to be wrong, I can't imagine being absolutely certain about anything. It's a foreign concept to me.
                Is there really nothing that you believe for certain?
                "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Presumably he is certain that he believes nothing for certain except the belief that he believes nothing for certain.

Comment

Well, Clawnus has chimed in with the predictable response already, but I'm trained as a scientist. I understand there are error bars around everything I assert. Yes, even that.

Comment

Well, Clawnus has chimed in with the predictable response already, but I'm trained as a scientist. I understand there are error bars around everything I assert. Yes, even that.
                      I guess I am having a difficult time understanding this. As a trained scientist, don't you believe things like the law of gravity are certainties? I know that sounds like a silly comparison, but I am just trying to establish a baseline.

Comment

I don't know about pancreasman, but there's one thing that I believe for certain. I believe that I exist. I can easily prove it to myself, since if I didn't exist, I wouldn't be able to wonder whether I exist or not.
                        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Clawnus, huh? Has a nice ring to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                            I don't know about pancreasman, but there's one thing that I believe for certain. I believe that I exist. I can easily prove it to myself, since if I didn't exist, I wouldn't be able to wonder whether I exist or not.
                            Are you sure though? How do you know that your wondering is even wondering?

Comment

Are you sure though? How do you know that your wondering is even wondering?
                              I have lain awake at night pondering that very thing.

Comment

• This thread has gotten too deep for me.
                                "Kahahaha! Let's get lunatic!"-Add LP
                                "And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin is pride that apes humility"-Samuel Taylor Coleridge
                                Oh ye of little fiber. Do you not know what I've done for you? You will obey. ~Cerealman for Prez.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X