Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Your religious beliefs are false, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    There are a number is issues with your response.
    What issues? Please be specific.

There are two issues here.
    First:You seem to wnat to duck this. By dismissing it as some kind of spiritual terrorism. Fear mongering.
    I never described it this way you did. I just consider it a worthless fear based choice. Originally Pascal only proposed it as a choice between Christianity and Atheism discounting all other possible choices as false, which is absurd.

Consequences are a real part of this life, when really bad decisions are made. You are fine if there are no serious consequences to wrong spiritual choices.
    Yes, consequences are a real part of life when bad decisions are made, but the challenge of what would be a bad choice amounts to anecdotal claims from the perspective of different religions, which vary greatly as to which would be the true choice, making this process extremely inconclusive.

That is the reason the odds are against us making any choice. It is more likely than not to be wrong. Testing choices premising one true and the opposite false. And then reversing the comparison to attempt to get an equal comparison of the two views. It is for the very reason of the question of what is "actually true" that this method should be used. It would seem you do not see it that way.
    You have presented nothing in the way of methodology that would determine which would be true and the opposite false. It becomes even more problematic determining which is 'actually true' based on the anecdotal evidence available.

I have gone through a spiritual search which is still on going, and came up with the conclusion that IF god exists, the Baha'i Faith is the best possible choice, with the only other possible option was strong agnosticism, acknowledge in the possibility that God does not exist.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-15-2015, 03:38 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      You are so far off on this it's not funny. You don't know squat about where I'm coming from.
      You can feel free to elaborate, or deal with me getting it wrong again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
        You do realize that there are other threads you would feel more comfortable trolling right? You are obviously incapable of understanding what this thread is even about. I'm not trying to "get" anything. I am asking TWebber's their opinions on a topic I thought would be interesting. Everyone in his thread has been great in responding to the question. The only two that haven't made a worthwhile contribution has been you and Omni. You seem to be more interested in trying to start an argument where there isn't one. Find someone else to argue with, because I'm not interested. Please go find a new schtick.
        In fact, I'm kind of fond of making honest responses only to see you dismiss them as trolling, so I think I'll continue. But if you'd like to try again, you might want to compare my first response to BP's ... which is essentially the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          Out of curiosity, what would you say these universal beliefs are? Or a couple examples, maybe.
          Do unto others ...
          Put aside past wrongs and seek peace ...

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
            Out of curiosity, what would you say these universal beliefs are? Or a couple examples, maybe.
            Wrongful killing of another human.

Wrongful taking of property.
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              You can feel free to elaborate,
              Don't have the time or desire right now.

or deal with me getting it wrong again.
              I won't be the least bit surprised.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                Wrongful killing of another human.

Wrongful taking of property.
                So according to that:

There is a rightful killing of another human.
                There is a rightful taking of property.

What determines wrongful or rightful?

There are some who believe any killing of another human is wrongful.
                There are some who believe any taking of another's property is wrongful.

Generalities wrongful and rightful do not work. Has no common meaning. Beyond sounding good, for good feelings.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Don't have the time or desire right now.
                  No worries. But if you do find either or both ... feel free. I'll listen. At the moment, though, I don't see any other way to read your "where they actually believe something" other than a claim they don't. And similarly, I'm seeing your un-elaborated "don't know squat about where I'm coming from" and "not having time or desire" to elaborate as just ducking the fact you got busted.

I'm willing to change my mind, for what that's worth.

I won't be the least bit surprised.
                  That works for me, too.

Comment

Yup, that is, after asking folks to "stop polluting your thread" with their nonsense, in my case referencing arguments you've previously proven yourself incapable of understanding. Jesse, you don't "get" atheism, and so responses coming from that position are going to sound like nonsense to you. That's not my problem, and not something that's going to prevent me from continuing to post thoughts beyond your ken.

This ain't the kiddy pool, kid.

Oh, and lay off the "victimization card" card, too. You don't need more excuses to avoid thinking.

Now I know where you're coming from, or at least I can still, vaguely, remember thinking something like the same thing back when: Folks who don't share my beliefs about Jesus don't "really" believe in anything, and even if they do it's dismissable, because whatever it is they're believing in just ain't so.

No worries. But if you do find either or both ... feel free. I'll listen. At the moment, though, I don't see any other way to read your "where they actually believe something" other than a claim they don't. And similarly, I'm seeing your un-elaborated "don't know squat about where I'm coming from" and "not having time or desire" to elaborate as just ducking the fact you got busted.
                    Last edited by OU812; 04-16-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

...as just ducking the fact you got busted.
                      you're such a girl
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        So according to that:

There is a rightful killing of another human.
                        There is a rightful taking of property.

What determines wrongful or rightful?
                        As far as taking human life. There are many rightful killings of humans in defensive wars and punishment of crimes in all cultures.

As far as wrongful taking of property. Examples rightful taking of property are the taking of property as compensation for the commitment of crimes, ad against governments for unjustified acts of war.

Frank

Comment

you're such a girl
                          call her lol sue....

Comment

No worries. But if you do find either or both ... feel free. I'll listen. At the moment, though, I don't see any other way to read your "where they actually believe something" other than a claim they don't.
                            Weather is keeping me from mowing, so I thought I'd look at what UUs believe -- the VERY FIRST goggle result was comical....

http://www.uubloomington.org/worship/beliefs/Jesus.php

Source: What UUs don't belive

Although UUism comes from a Christian tradition, ours is not a Christian church per se (a small percentage of UUs call themselves Christian), but it welcomes Christians, as it does all people, in its catholicity. Ours is a non-creedal, non-doctrinal religion. So as we are not a Christian church, neither are we Buddhist, Confucian, Hindu, Islamic, Judaic, nor Taoist. We do, however, draw wisdom from these and other of the world's religions, which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life.

Most UUs don't believe that Jesus was a supernatural being. Many would say that the power of his love, the penetrating simplicity of his teachings, and the force of his example of service on behalf of the disenfranchised and the downtrodden are what is crucial, not his supposed miraculous birth nor the claim that he was resurrected from the dead. Some would say that Jesus was the son of God, as we are all sons and daughters of God, but not the same as God.

Generally UUs regard Jesus as one of several important moral and ethical teachers who have shown humans how to live a life of love, service, and compassion. Our concern is not with how he was born or how he died, but with how he lived.

© Copyright Original Source

They spend more time talking about what they DON'T believe....

That pretty much goes along with my real life experience with UUs --- a bunch of burned out hippies pretending to have church.

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                              call her lol sue....
                              Or Bill or George --- ANYTHING but SUE!!!!

Comment

Or Bill or George --- ANYTHING but SUE!!!!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X