Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Your religious beliefs are false, now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Can you be absolutely certain about anything concerning religion?
    Yes, my Bible is leather bound. And it's REAL leather.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yes, my Bible is leather bound. And it's REAL leather.
      That is not about religion. That is simply the physical attributes of a book cover, which I believe you can usually be certain of, unless it is of course faux leather.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

That is not about religion. That is simply the physical attributes of a book cover, which I believe you can usually be certain of, unless it is of course faux leather.
        You, Shuny, are an absolute genius! My comment (that you apparently took seriously) was jokingly poking at PMan, who, for reasons I can't even begin to understand, with whom I enjoy interacting.

And I, being a Cow Poke, would NEVER utilize faux leather!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You, Shuny, are an absolute genius! My comment (that you apparently took seriously) was jokingly poking at PMan, who, for reasons I can't even begin to understand, with whom I enjoy interacting.
          Pman - I really butchered this statement in an attempt not to end a sentence with a preposition - I think I'm more understanding why you committed such a heinous crime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesse View Post
            What would you do, if you found out concretely that your faith was wrong?
            Since it seems now that the OP is more like “ . . . if you were totally convinced that your faith was wrong?” With that moderation I can also state that I have gone through this change.

I began drinking in High School. In college I became a member of the “booze is the ony answer club. I later added heavy marijuana usage to the mix. I was a firm agnostic. I became eventually, at around 33 or 34 years of age, that the Gospel of Jesus Christ was indeed true, in spite of my earlier rejection. It changed my life drastically. The most noticeable change was going from morose to generally cheerful. I have lived my live since as the best Christian I was able to be. I have been a Sunday School teacher, a deacon, and an elder in my local congregation.

This is some of what I did when I found out that my faith was certainly incorrect. My life is immeasurably better for the change.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Since it seems now that the OP is more like “ . . . if you were totally convinced that your faith was wrong?” With that moderation I can also state that I have gone through this change.

I began drinking in High School. In college I became a member of the “booze is the ony answer club. I later added heavy marijuana usage to the mix. I was a firm agnostic. I became eventually, at around 33 or 34 years of age, that the Gospel of Jesus Christ was indeed true, in spite of my earlier rejection. It changed my life drastically. The most noticeable change was going from morose to generally cheerful. I have lived my live since as the best Christian I was able to be. I have been a Sunday School teacher, a deacon, and an elder in my local congregation.

This is some of what I did when I found out that my faith was certainly incorrect. My life is immeasurably better for the change.
              Now that you are a Christian, where would your faith/spiritual beliefs go if Christ was proven to not be whom he claimed? Would you stay a Christian? Or lean towards something else?
              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Now that you are a Christian, where would your faith/spiritual beliefs go if Christ was proven to not be whom he claimed? Would you stay a Christian? Or lean towards something else?
                Actually, I go with the problem whether Christ is what Traditional Christianity claims him to be, and not necessarily what the reality of Christ is.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Actually, I go with the problem whether Christ is what Traditional Christianity claims him to be, and not necessarily what the reality of Christ is.
                  I think there's merit to that - I see too many times that people will "construct" their own Christ based on whatever dimension of Him they want to emphasize.

On a SIDE note, I am uncomfortable with the images of Him that "Traditional Christianity" has come up with that makes him appear, in my opinion, rather effeminate.

Comment

On a SIDE note, I am uncomfortable with the images of Him that "Traditional Christianity" has come up with that makes him appear, in my opinion, rather effeminate.
                    "I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!"

But I don't think we are talking about that...
                    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

"I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagles wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!"

But I don't think we are talking about that...

Comment

Well since the changes that came with my turn to faith in Christ have made my life immeasurably better, why would I change anything. My original motivation may have been wrong, but the results are great.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          Well since the changes that came with my turn to faith in Christ have made my life immeasurably better, why would I change anything. My original motivation may have been wrong, but the results are great.
                          I think its just a hypothetical.

Comment

• Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                            Please read what I actually say. I am not asserting there are no absolute truths. I am simply asserting that I, personally, may be wrong about what I think is true.
                            Well, a case in point. I was wrong about what you meant. So what applies to you evidently applies to me more often.

Which brings up an issue, how does one recognize truth? Some truths are obvious. Others not so much. Metaphysical truth claims are more difficult. Where the odds are one will be wrong.
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                                Well, a case in point. I was wrong about what you meant. So what applies to you evidently applies to me more often.

Which brings up an issue, how does one recognize truth? Some truths are obvious. Others not so much. Metaphysical truth claims are more difficult. Where the odds are one will be wrong.
                                Very difficult to assign odds. This BTW is why Pascal's wager is faulty. The choice isn't really between the Christian God or no God, but rather between all the historical and current notions of God and no God. Looked at dispassionately, finding the one correct choice out of all these possibilities is pretty unlikely. Of course some choices are more or less likely than others.

I'm also wary of 'obvious' truths. It's 'obvious' the sun revolves around the Earth, it's 'obvious' heavy things fall faster than light things. If we make so many errors with physical things how can we hope to recognise 'obvious' metaphysical truths?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X